How to be healthy at restaurants? I eat out a lot

Options
Hi, I've slowly put on the pounds over the years and now need to lose 20-30 pounds to get back to where I feel healthy. Problem is I eat out a lot or do take out (I don't cook much), and I'm on the road a lot for work. And I don't feel like I know if I'm being healthy or not ordering from restaurants all the time.

Do you have any advice on how you try to be healthy when eating in or taking out from restaurants? How do you choose restaurants? How do you select your dishes? Any advice will be helpful so I can try to get myself turned around without changing my lifestyle dramatically (I just don't have time to cook).

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Hmmm some things I do are:
    -just get water to drink
    -avoid bread and chips on the table
    -get salads with the dressing on the side so I can control how much goes on the salad
    -if a dish has cheese, ask them to go light on it
    -ask if potatoes, fries, ect can be switched out for veggies
    -eat only part of the food (you'll save on calories and have a meal for later). And don't be afraid to just throw it away if you need to! It's hard because you paid for the meal, but you'll pay less for expensive health care later if you keep the pounds off.
    -look for a section that has light options on the menu
    -split dishes with friends
    -look for dishes with whole wheat items, fruits, veggies

Look around on the web for easy dishes to cook too. Honestly, it's the best thing you can do when you aren't on the road for your health because you know what's going into it. Also, if you're okay with having cold food for dinner, sandwiches on the road can be easy and healthy. Snacks like almonds and whole wheat crackers are great. A cooler for low fat dairy, fruits, and veggies would be good to have too.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Hmmm some things I do are:
    -just get water to drink
    -avoid bread and chips on the table
    -get salads with the dressing on the side so I can control how much goes on the salad
    -if a dish has cheese, ask them to go light on it
    -ask if potatoes, fries, ect can be switched out for veggies
    -eat only part of the food (you'll save on calories and have a meal for later). And don't be afraid to just throw it away if you need to! It's hard because you paid for the meal, but you'll pay less for expensive health care later if you keep the pounds off.
    -look for a section that has light options on the menu
    -split dishes with friends
    -look for dishes with whole wheat items, fruits, veggies

What she said.
    If you're only choices are fast food, at least go for Subway or Panda Express. Both have low fat options.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask for what you want. Ask for as little oil as possible to cook the protein. Ask for steamed veggies with no butter. Ask for veggies only on your salad. I am trying to be better about these kinds of things!
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You can also try googling the restaurant and see if they have a Nutritional Information for their menu. Baked, Broiled, steamed or boiled. No fried items. Light Dressing on the side. Dip your salad in the dressing do not pour it on. Eat only 1/2 the bun or ask for no bun. No cream based sauces. Sub sides for veggies or fruit cup.
  • tarafromuk
    Options
    I am not sure if you live in england, but both pizza express and prezzo's do light options. If I am going to meet my friends in the pub I now eat before I go so I dont have any pub meals as they have less healthy options.