Morning or evening?

Options

Replies

• jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    I am up to go to the gym at 4:15am on weekdays. I am a morning person, do a weight routine and like being able to hog the weight room for my super sets! :happy:

I also do kettle bells 2 nights a week, and do find I am usually fdragging myself to the class.

Whatever works for you is the best!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning, just so I can get it done and over with. If for some reason I can't work out in the morning, I will do it at some point in the evening, usually before dinner, but later if I have to! :happy:

This fall I will be running a night time half marathon, so I will need to start running later in the evening... I am not looking foward to that change! :ohwell:
  • lane823
    lane823 Posts: 41
    Options
    Glad to hear that everyone agrees that as long as we are working out - who cares the time of day! I am not a morning person, either. I've been told by other "fit" people that in order to get my metabolism going - I should work out within 30 minutes of waking up. And that I should eat 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. Which is impossible for me to do - I have to take thyroid meds and I cannot eat for an hour after I take them. I've just always had this nagging thought in my head that I should be working out in the morning. Thanks everyone for the boost in my confidence that I am doing great!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning once the kids have left for school. My house is empty for 2.5 hours.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I prefer to start my day off with an early morning workout. Usually about 5am.
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Cardio in the morning, strength in the evening.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Monday - Friday I workout at 5:30 pm after work. I eat after my workout. Sometimes on the weekend I am bad and do not workout but this past Sunday I arrived at the gym at 12:30pm and left at 3pm.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear that everyone agrees that as long as we are working out - who cares the time of day! I am not a morning person, either. I've been told by other "fit" people that in order to get my metabolism going - I should work out within 30 minutes of waking up. And that I should eat 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. Which is impossible for me to do - I have to take thyroid meds and I cannot eat for an hour after I take them. I've just always had this nagging thought in my head that I should be working out in the morning. Thanks everyone for the boost in my confidence that I am doing great!

I read an article in a fitness magazine a while ago about a study suggesting that the best time to workout depends on the person. Something about your personal chemical composition or whatever and some people have better results first thing in the morning while others have better results in the afternoon or evening. I can't remember the details of it, but it made a lot of sense. Even if I exercise in the morning, I need to be awake at least 30 minutes before I can do anything.
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    evening--before dinner.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't matter as long as you make yourself go!

I personally prefer the evening right when I get home from work because I hate having to take a shower and wash my hair in the morning before work...mainly because I hate to dry it.

I have tried the morning but I can't seem to wake up. My husband currently gets up at 4;30am and leaves at 5am for work and everyday I say "okay, this is the day you exercise in the morning before work"...but everyday I go back to bed until 7. Some people just can't swing the morning time.
  • natvanessa
    natvanessa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I always prefer evening, after work, but before dinner.

I HATE getting up early, so that won't work. Plus I have a desk job so after sitting for 8 hours I am dying to get some movement going!!
    Sometimes, I do work out in the morning if I'm not working and feel energetic. But I think it's just whatever works for the individual.
  • teamnevergoingback
    teamnevergoingback Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I believe the workout you are able to do regularly is the most effective.

If you're not a morning person, but you're trying to swing a 5 a.m. wake up because someone tells you it's better, you aren't going to keep it up for long because you're gonna hate yourself.

I get up at 5:45 so I can be at work at 8 with an hour commute. My workouts are in the evenings because there's no way I'm getting up at 4:30 when I hate mornings anyway.

If there is any difference in effect, it's not enough to outweigh skipping a workout because you can't wake up for it.

Agree! I like to do it first thing and get it out of the way.
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do both, but I prefer mornings. I have more energy and it seems to make me a little more happier throughout the day. I like evening runs in the spring/summer because it's usually the "perfect" temps. just about that time, less people tend to be out, and if I have had a stressful day it can be liberating and relaxes the mind.
  • steveoath
    steveoath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I cannot work out later in the day, I need to get it done in the morning - unless its a game of football (soccer) with my mates at night.

And I also agree with the above post that it makes me feel happier during the day.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    depends on the day...yesterday was mid morning..thursday will be evening..saturday will be morning...monday will be mid-morning and so will Wednesday...
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I perfer morning workouts... I get it done early then I don't have to worry about it at night. I don't get home till 8pm at night so by the time I'm done working out, eating, and showering it's almost 11. So it just works best for me to do it in the morning. but what ever works best for you do it then.
  • jrmav
    jrmav Posts: 15
    Options
    I work out in the mornings only because I work the night shift and it is the most convenient. That being said, it can be extremely rough at times!! Whatever time you feel you are at your best is the right time to work out....
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    When I started this whole weight loss life change. I went to workout m-f at 5:30am. I am not a morning person. Within a month, that routine was shot down. I began to dread Sunday night knowing that I had to get up early. I then started to go in the evening around 6:30pm and I was liking that. Now I take classes at the gym 5 days a week at 5:30pm, right after I get out, and I am loving that. I go do a hour workout and then by 6:30pm I have the rest of the night to myself.

On a different note, I get Weight Watchers magazine mailed to me and one of the topics in there was what time is best to workout if you're trying to lose weight and build mussel. They recommended that you go in between 4pm and 7pm, the reasons were because your body temperature is the highest at that point in the day and your body burns calories the most because your body temperature. Now whether or not that is true, I'm not sure. I just thought it was a neat tidbit of knowledge to pass along. Don't judge me if you think it's dumb and stupid.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I work out at night, usually before dinner.
  • milkandtea
    milkandtea Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. If I wait until later, I know I won't do it.