jillian michaels 30 day shred help

Options

Replies

• cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I tarted with 3s but had to use cans for the shoulder raises, now I use 5s with 8s for chest press. Love that workout but have been more focused on ripped and her other DVDs recently
  • calamityjami
    Options
    i did day one yesterday and used no weights just to test the waters. i used my 1.5 pound weights today and made it through pretty easily. i'll need to buy 3 pounders before too long!
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started with 3 lbs and now I am on to 5 lbs. My upper body is very weak as well.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    OH WOW!!! Im about to start the program and I was going to buy some 10 lbs weights. Would I be making a mistake getting them?

10lb weights are great to have around, but the rep count in 30 DS is high. Depends on your strength,mbut I would have lighter weights available
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I did it for 2 rounds in a row, starting with 3 pound weights and then moved up to 5 pound weights pretty quickly. They are just perfect. I'm doing my 3rd round now (after a couple of months break) and the 5 pound are still giving me a nice workout :smile:
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I use 3, 5, and 8. I had to use 3 (or no weights) for the straight arm lifts, but could use 8s for the curls and back presses. I got the JM weigh set, glad I did for the variety, but the rubber coating on them kinda suck.
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I started out with 3lb weights, now I alternate between the 3's and 5's for different exercises. 5-10lbs might not seem like much if you're just lifting, but there is a lot of cardio in this also and it might get a little much if you haven't lifted much before.
  • Sambo004
    Sambo004 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    OH WOW!!! Im about to start the program and I was going to buy some 10 lbs weights. Would I be making a mistake getting them?

I really think that 10 pounds would be too heavy. 30DS has 2 sets of strength training exercises in each circuit and the more challenging of them you do reps for 1 minute (doesn't sound like long, but trust me, it is), by the end of the minute, you are burning.
  • chloehall69
    Options
    hi, does anyone know average calories burnt doing jillian micheals 30 day ripped dvd?
  • BMcLeodTeam
    BMcLeodTeam Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started with 3s and worked my way up from there
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am an avid workout person and I do believe 10lb weights would be too heavy starting. I used 5lb when I did it and there were some exercises I wish I had 3lbs. Start light and if you can go higher, then do so. But if there is anybody on this thread, female that started out with 10lb, all I can say is ...WOW!!!
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options

I really think that 10 pounds would be too heavy. 30DS has 2 sets of strength training exercises in each circuit and the more challenging of them you do reps for 1 minute (doesn't sound like long, but trust me, it is), by the end of the minute, you are burning.
    OK thanks
  • amberdawn02
    amberdawn02 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to listen to your body and change it up as necessary. In level 1, I started with 3 & 5's. By level 2, I felt that the 3's were too light and started using 4 & 5's. Level 3 - I used the 4, 5, & 8's depending on the exercise - for instance I used the 8 pounders for the plank rows and 4 pounders for the punches (those hurt, even with 4's!).

good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I used 2 pound cans. You can even do it with no weights if you are not used to exercising regularly, it is still a good workout.
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I started out with 2.5 lbs then moved up to 5's. Now I can use the 5's with her Extreme Shed and Shred and have started using 10's with her No More Trouble Zones. Just work your way up. You'll know when your body can handle more! Have fun! Her dvd's are awesome! :D
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Started with 3s, then 5s, now 8s!
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I had 5 lb weights and have been using them. I won't lie, it hurt like hell the first 3 days, by the fourth I was ok. By the time remembered I had one pound weights, I didn't need them anymore. I would say try out a few weights and see whats good for you. Mabye try a three and see if the store will take a return or exchange for the higher weight if you decide that's what you want. I probably coulda started with the three pounds, but I'm use to the 5 now and the lower weight doesn't do anything for me (I like to feel the burn, when I'm working out).
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    hi, does anyone know average calories burnt doing jillian micheals 30 day ripped dvd?

log it as circuit training for 20 mins for 30ds and 30mins for ripped in 30
  • chloehall69
    Options
    Many thanks.
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I did it for 2 rounds in a row, starting with 3 pound weights and then moved up to 5 pound weights pretty quickly. They are just perfect. I'm doing my 3rd round now (after a couple of months break) and the 5 pound are still giving me a nice workout :smile: