5 ft 4.....how thin is too thin?

Options
I'm trying to figure out where I need to be on the scale. I'm at 157 now and plan on losing more. My goal that I put on here was 130 pounds. I don't know if that will be too thin or not. Is that a realistic goal for me? 5 ft..4 ladies-what do you think is a heathy weight to reach?

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    That's not too thin for 5'4". I'm 5' 3" at 107 - But that's my choice. Do what you feel comfortable at.
  • AprilShore
    AprilShore Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and have been anywhere from 117-155. I am shooting for 125, so I think 130 is a great weight to be at! Keep up the good work!
  • BellaBlues1
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 130 is my goal as well. The smallest I've gotten down to, as an adult is 144 (with Weight Watchers) and I was *starting* to like my body, so I think around 130 would be perfect for me.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It's not too small at 5'4. I think the low end of my weight range at 5'3 is 114, so you should be fine.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I say don't focus on weight. If you are exercising, look at your body fat %. I'm shooting for 21% Which in turn will put me at about 140#. But, like EmCarrol said, Do what you think will be comfortable.
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think a lot will depend on your build. I am 5'4" too, and at 178, folks thought I was 145. I think 130 would be a bit too thin for me. Plus, my hubby likes curves, and I like him, so I better not get "too thin." This all being said, my family are all built like linebackers, and I have always had that kind of frame. Have to have some muscles on a frame like that or you look like a death-camp victim! My advice is to stop when you feel comfortable with yourself. Good luck with the rest of your journey!
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 104 lbs. I have a really small frame though. If the BMI chart is what you are basing your goals on, don't. The BMI chart sucks. It says I am definitely underweight, but I've never looked or felt healthier. BMI doesn't take into account people's different body frame sizes and body fat %. Just go with what feels good/looks good to YOU! :)
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and according to my doctor my healthy range is 120-150. With my bones and muscles, realistically I could never be 120. I'd look way too thin and could never maintain that weight. I personally know that I look best around 145-150. My current goal is 150. Since you are an inch shorter than me, I'd guess that your "healthy" range would be somewhere around 115-145, so 130 seems within range. For me 130 or even 135 would be too skinny (but my body type may be entirely different than yours), so maybe set a shorter term goal and then re-gage it when you get there.
  • CandyAppleCockers
    CandyAppleCockers Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" too. My start weight was 180. I'm currently 151. Originally my goal was 150. Now it's 140 I think. I'm a paramedic student and have muscle I didn't have before. I got down to 146 5 years ago by not eating enough. I've been looking better since I hit the 150s than I did at 146 previously..
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am 43 years old - 5'4" and currently 151.
    My starting weight was 223
    My goal is 125.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    130 sounds great! It's within your BMI range. Always good to stay toward the middle of that range-you may need those pounds if you get seriously ill.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 104 lbs. I have a really small frame though. If the BMI chart is what you are basing your goals on, don't. The BMI chart sucks. It says I am definitely underweight, but I've never looked or felt healthier. BMI doesn't take into account people's different body frame sizes and body fat %. Just go with what feels good/looks good to YOU! :)

Girl we are the same height and weight!!! :)
  • Lesta1979
    Options
    I am 5 ft 2 and am 121lbs. Wherever you are comfortable at is good. For my height, I read I could weigh anywhere from 110lbs. to 137lbs. and be considered healthy. Good Luck:)
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Girl we are the same height and weight!!! :)

Body twins!! :D
  • FireNGlory
    FireNGlory Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My vote goes with the weight doesn't matter, it's more about body composition. You don't want to starve your muscles to get the scale showing what you want to see.

I *do* however agree that BMI charts are bogus... For under $100 you can get a really nice body composition scale. I have had one made by Tanita for over 5 years now and absolutly love it. There are a few things to note, though... I use it after my morning shower so my feet are damp to make good contact. That seems to eliminate that variable. It definately *does* fluctuate based on your hydration, too. If you use it daily, however, looking at both numbers (weight and BMI) you will know how you are doing. It's also nice to be able to weigh every day... A lot of people don't because the water fluctuation can get discouraging, but with the BMI #'s you will know what is water and what is not. It will also let you know when you are low on fluids so you can drink more water or when you are retaining water and should reduce your sodium intake.

Furthermore, you can see if your plan is working... If you are losing weight and your BMI is staying the same, you got problems... :-)
  • LaurenHess22
    LaurenHess22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 too and my goal weight is anywhere between 135 and 125 depending on what weight I feel and look healthiest at, so I would say 130 is fine...Good Luck!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 and 112 lbs. I'm sure you can tell from my picture I'm not "too thin" and still have some pudge I'm working on. I think it depends on your body, your goals, how you want to look. You can adjust as necessary as you lose!
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and my goal weight is 120. However, If Im happy with myself I will stop at 125... It all depends on you and where you want to be.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i am 5'4 and want to be between 122-125 which i think would be perfect for my medium frame body... the BMI estimates say 108 is the low point for our height and 146 is the high. so i think what you are shooting for would work just fine in those estimates. 108 is for small frame and 146 large frame/athletic.
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i think its more how you look and feel like others have said. im just a bit short of 5'5 (drs like to round up for me haha so sweet of them) and im at about 112.5 111 is the lowest i think 5'5 can be if i read right. so its more so how you feel plus bone size and such i dont have "big" bones really so i dont think it looks bad on my frame.