Finding your goal...

Options
So I'm interested in hearing how everyone figured out what weight to put as their goal. Did you go for somewhere in your BMI range? or set a fixed number to lose, 20, 30.. or did you simply use the weight you think you will feel best at?

Replies

• Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    Well..............????
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Mine is approximately in the middle of my healthy BMI, but rounded to make it look like a proper 'goal'.
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    My goal is what I know I feel best at not necessarily what I feel I look best at tho lol
  • Kris1997
    Options
    I set mine at the middle of my BMI also. Might have to change it later.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    mine is within healthy BMI (by a little) and is lower than i have weighed in my adult life. It was originally set for 130 or 135 ( i cant remember) but i lowered it to 125. I am short, only 5'1". Ultimately, i dont care what the final number is, anywhere between 115 and 140, so long as i have a low body fat percentage and look and feel good, with a good degree of solid muscle.
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and 110 lbs, a healthy weight according to what I've read is 117-156 lbs. Trying to be 105. I get down to 105 sometimes, but I want that to be my everyday weight. I also work out via strength training and cardio, so maybe I'm supposed to be gaining via muscle..?

Personally I feel like I'm overeating on what MFP tells me to, but still try to hit my goal of 1500 plus exercise calories.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I set it to the weight I was when I graduated college and then when I got married. Both times I felt I was in fairly good shape and healthy, so it seemed like a good thing. Then I looked it up and it's smack dab in the middle of my healthy range for BMI, so it definitely seems like a good goal
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I used the weight I felt best at.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    its my pre-baby weight
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    I set my first goal to get me just inside the range for "normal" BMI. Then will adjust as needed after that.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I went for a target bodyfat% rather than a target weight
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My healthy weight range is 114-154 and I'm 5'6", I think that's a bit low. My goal would be to be between 150 and 160lb and I'd like to be that before my birthday in Sept because I have to get my new DL and my weight on my old one was 160lbs, it be nice to have that stay the same or even lower. Only 30lbs more to lose!
  • Lanie42
    Lanie42 Posts: 10
    Options
    I am .9 over BMI to push me into the "overweight" category BUT my goal is to get back into the skirt I could wear last year before I quit smoking :) I gain in my hips/thighs so I will leave it at that for now - don't really have a number although the trainer at the gym said 133 would be good on my build.
  • katydid25
    katydid25 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I honestly had no idea what to my goal weight should be until I went to this site:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/

There is a tool there that lets you enter your current weight and body fat % (there is also a tool to give you a rough estimate of that if you don't already know) and your goal body fat %.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight is completely meaningless and doesn't determine your look. With that said, my short term goal is 8% body fat and long term is 6% body fat so I can have abs.
  • carholl
    carholl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Anything less than what I started out sounded good, but 150 is what I'm going for. After that, I'll just wait and see.
  • Kris1997
    Options
    I'm 5'7, and I set my goal (140) based on several things. It is in the middle of my BMI range, its the weight I was before kids, and its the weight I remember feeling my best at. For me anything lower then 130 and I think I might look too thin. Thanks for the replies!
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at body fat ratio and healthy BMI for my height and age.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I used to be 9st 7 when I was at my healthiest and when looked at online charts it was right in middle of my healthy range for medium build.

When i started losing weight quicker (after dropped weight and went low carb) I decided to try and get to 9st 3 to finish Wii Fit which says I should be 9st 3 for my height - though I had to put 5ft 4 as it won't accept halves. (I'm 5ft 3 and half).

I got to 9st 7 and though my tummy isn't as small as I wanted to be but I lost alot more off top (boobs gone from 40 to 34!) and I don't like my neck I think I look older in face. I wish I could take few pounds off tummy and stick it on neck or back on boobs! :laugh: