Low-Sodium Vegetarian Lunch Ideas Under 350 Calories

Options
Hi there! I have been finding I eat the same thing for lunch every day...and quite frankly it is getting kind of old.

Right now I have been eating a salad and I am just about salad'ed out. I am looking for some ideas of vegetarian lunches that are portable and may (or may not) be prepared in bulk.

Here's the deal though...I am looking for low-sodium and ideally low-fat ideas that are around or under 350 calories. Also, I don't eat eggs and I can't stomach tofu for some reason.

Thanks for sharing any ideas :flowerforyou:

Replies

• TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neutralize
    neutralize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a low sodium diet as well, it seems so tough sometimes! Let me think. I'm assuming you have access to a fridge if you're taking salads? Microwave?
  • TheLongRunner
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian on a low sodium diet as well, it seems so tough sometimes! Let me think. I'm assuming you have access to a fridge if you're taking salads? Microwave?

I do have access to a fridge and microwave most days. :)

And yes, low sodium is a challenge. I aim for no more than 1500 mg a day. Usually I settle out around 1200.
  • 2triscuit
    2triscuit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cooking from scratch ahead of time would make this easy. Think of the good grains- wild rice and quinoa are my favorites. Use those as a base for a stir fry of good vegetables, and you've got a good meal. For stirfry sauces, think citrus and vinegar to replace that salt. Another good option is using beans for the base- find a no added salt brand, and make yourself a chili with fresh tomato, onion and green pepper. Add oregano, garlic, paprika and cayenne to make your own salt free chili powder. include a small container with some fresh chopped cilantro and a lime wedge.

For cold veggie low sodium food, think grilled veggies (don't forget the portobello!) on low sodium whole grain bread with hummus. A twist on the salad theme might be good too- low sodium beans, frozen corn (no added salt), fresh tomato, garlic, and broccoli tossed with vinegar is filling and tasty.
  • crudd123
    crudd123 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Try hummus on a whole wheat low carb tortilla!
  • tarafromuk
    Options
    I sometimes make butternut squash risotto for work, you could buy a low sodium stock for it. I usually use low cal spray and then roast the squash in the oven while I make the risotto with stock and onions. Or an easier risotto is a leek one.
    I also sometimes have mushrooms, beans, tomatoes, two veggie sausages and a tin of beans for lunch, so I guess if you could get low sodium v. sausages and baked beans.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/313994/quick-chickpea-curry

I made it with water. Next time (because there are only 3g fat per serving) I will try half light coconut milk and half water. Either way, it's yummy.

I also try to stay under 1500mg sodium per day.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites,
    Chickpea fake chicken salad

4 cups of chickpeas, rinsed well
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup of chopped red onion ( i may have reversed the celery and onion)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    4 tbls of vegan chicken seasoning
    3/4 cup of veganaise or nasoya, whichever you prefer.

Chop the chickpeas until they are in smaller pieces, not smooth. Add in other ingredients, stir, chill serve and enjoy.

for 1/2 cup, it comes to like 163 calories. Put in a Whole grain wrap, 263 calories. I do this with a salad and a cup of cabbage soup.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Hummus and veggies.
    Beans and veggies (cooked or raw).
    Veggies and a grain, you can add some low sodium pasta sauce to this for flavor.
    Unsalted nuts, veggies, and fruit.
    Leftovers from dinner the night before.
    Soup--you can make it in big batches and then and heat it up.
  • TheLongRunner
    Options
    Thanks so much for the ideas! I am definitely going to start experimenting. Keep the ideas coming ;)
  • TeeJayBee_xo
    Options
    Do you have Quorn where you live? Quorn is made from micro-proteins, it's different to tofu. & the range includes either readily made meals or chicken-style pieces, ham-style slices, bacon-style rashers, vegetarian burgers, sausages, sausage rolls, pastries etc etc.. look on the Quorn website, it has so many things to choose from (: x
  • TheLongRunner
    Options

I made it with water. Next time (because there are only 3g fat per serving) I will try half light coconut milk and half water. Either way, it's yummy.

I am totally going to try this out! I have never had curry before but I keep hearing about it and it is making my mouth water.
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Whole Wheat Pita with Hummus sprouts and whatever veggies you'd like =)
  • lgbishop
    lgbishop Posts: 8
    Options
    Love these few food ideas. Can't wait to see more. Thanks ladies. :smile:
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options

I am totally going to try this out! I have never had curry before but I keep hearing about it and it is making my mouth water.

Forgot to say that I served it over Brown Jasmine Rice. I eat fish twice a week, but the rest of my meals are vegetarian. Feel free to add me if you want some ideas. I have a killer Vegetarian Chili Recipe.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I make a huge batch of veggie chilli that I freeze. I put in peppers, aubergine, mushrooms, courgette, tomatoes(tinned), cannellini beans, green lentils, spinach, onions,garlic and chilli. I also use smoked paprika, chilli powder,cumin and a little bit of cinnamon. Its so delicious and freezes really well! I either have it with cous cous, rice or a rocket based salad. And low fat feta is really good sprinkled on top.

14580293.png
  • sunshine__angel
    sunshine__angel Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Do you eat soy products? I have recently tried Yves beef and chicken tenders. You could eat them with a salad or veggies. The beef tenders are 120 calories and 370mg sodium for half of a package. You could also try veggie burgers, veggie chilli or veggie chicken burgers. Zoglo's has meatless chicken nuggets, 4 nuggets for 170 calories and 350mg of sodium. I find I'm eating a lot of these products and it helps to get in protein as well! You could also try making smoothies!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    to get hummus lower calorie try making home made hummus but swapping the oil for low fat cottage cheese.
  • Jvsg14
    Jvsg14 Posts: 5
    Options
    Zucchini "Lasagna"

3 medium-small zucchini ( 6-8 inches long)
    1 pkg sliced mushrooms
    1 c chopped onion
    1 c chopped celery
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 cups low sodium pasta sauce - Prego makes a no salt added one
    16 oz fat free or low fat ricotta
    1 egg
    1 tbps italian seasoning
    1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Cut zucchini in 1/4 inch rounds and saute 5 minutes in 1 tbsp olive oil, remove
    Saute mushrooms, onions and celery in 1 tbsp olive oil until softened
    mix ricotta, egg and italian seasoning in a small bowl
    spray 8 x 8 pan with cooking spray and then layer zucchini, ricotta, mush/onion, sauce, repeat.
    Sprinkle top of the "lasagna" with shredded cheese and bake 40 minutes at 350.

Cut into 6 pieces. By my calculation it comes out under 300 calories/serving.
  • sdodge81
    sdodge81 Posts: 2
    Options
    One of my favorites,
    Chickpea fake chicken salad

4 cups of chickpeas, rinsed well
    3/4 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup of chopped red onion ( i may have reversed the celery and onion)
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    4 tbls of vegan chicken seasoning
    3/4 cup of veganaise or nasoya, whichever you prefer.

Chop the chickpeas until they are in smaller pieces, not smooth. Add in other ingredients, stir, chill serve and enjoy.

for 1/2 cup, it comes to like 163 calories. Put in a Whole grain wrap, 263 calories. I do this with a salad and a cup of cabbage soup.