Trail Running Shoes

Options
I want to start doing some trail running. Can anyone recommend some good shoes? I love Merrel for my hiking boots and both Asics and Brooks for my running shoes. I need a stability shoe since I'm flat footed.
Also, if anyone in the Northeast/MA knows of a good place to get them, where they know what they're doing, I would appreciate the info. The EMS near us doesn't have many pairs to select from and I don't want to get my first pair online.
Thanks! :)

Replies

• cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    No help out there?
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I just started couch to 5K I love it!!!
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    ****'s Sporting Goods! I love Merrel Avian light ventilator. Brooks also makes a trail shoe but I can't remember the name.
  • GSCPostBaby
    Options
    WTH? Why won't it let me write ****'s Sporting Goods? UGH! Here's the link to their website . . .

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/home/index.jsp
  • moksumike
    moksumike Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have had a good experience with Mizuno. My wife wears Brooks and really likes them. It all depends on what you need in a shoe, such as support, light weight, etc. Check out the groups, they will have lots of good info.
  • GSCPostBaby
    Options
    OMG! That didn't work either! D.I.C.K.'S. Sporting Goods . . .
  • GSCPostBaby
    Options
    Thank God!
  • jill7wilson
    jill7wilson Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Runner's World magazine just put out a Trail issue...Haven't read mine yet but I think there are some shoe reviews in it. You could also try their website, runnersworld.com
    Good luck and have fun!
  • jcdunton
    jcdunton Posts: 1
    Options
    I heard that New Balance WR1012 were supposed to be good running shoes for my plantar faciitis so I ordered them. Haven't gotten them yet to say for sure whether I like them or not.
  • anitadhey
    anitadhey Posts: 10
    Options
    I use Adidas trail running shoes exclusively. Look for good tread, it makes a world of difference. :)
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Runner's Alley in Nashua, Manchester and Poertsmouth know what they are talking about. Not sure where you are in MA though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Not a trail runner myself (yet) if you were here in Canukistan I'd suggest checking out the Mountain Equipment Co-op (it seems to be the local go to shop for the trail running set here in Ottawa), I think the US equivalent is REI (http://www.rei.com/features/running-shop)
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just picked up a pair of Brooks Cascadia 7's yesterday so haven't had a chance to use them yet - can hardly wait! I've been using my Mizuno road shoes the last couple of weeks and they've been working pretty well too. Any of those brands you mentioned put out some good trail shoes - go with what feels good for you.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Unless you are planning to run on some craggly, rocky trails, an old pair of road shoes will do just fine most of the time.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Vibram fivefinger KSO Treks, I love them!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    OMG! That didn't work either! D.I.C.K.'S. Sporting Goods . . .

:laugh: With the censorship I thought it was going to be something terrible. I wondered why the hell someone would name their business F or C and how could they get away with it. :D
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I used Vibram fivefingers their amazing!
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Unless you are planning to run on some craggly, rocky trails, an old pair of road shoes will do just fine most of the time.

This^^

If you do need specific shoes check the trail equivalent of your road shoes on the manufacturers web site and order the trail model in same size online?
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of Asics trail runners and love them. But it also depends on your gait. Go get fitted and figure out what trail runners are good for your particuliar running style -- that's the best advice anyone can give.