Ankle pain and exercise

Options
Hi there, I sprained my ankle on Saturday night. I know running is out of the question. Does any one have suggestions on what workouts are safe to do without putting more strain on my ankle? Or do I just completely lay off it for a couple of more days?

Replies

• LBachynsky
    Options
    I have a brace I wear regularly and am able to continue going to step class (with 2 risers) and play racquetball. It's called a swede-o brace. My doctor gave it to me when I slipped off the side of a step several years ago. It fits in my tennis shoe and I forget I'm wearing it.

http://www.swedeo.com/ankleproducts.htm

The first product on the list is the one I have.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the obvious one.
    Have you tried it on a bike? Might be too much, but it depends where the pain is.
  • jonessa
    jonessa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you lauriekeller! I'll look into that. :]

Meerkat70: Thanks for the suggestions!
    I'll have to try my brother's bike and see how it goes since I don't own one.
    Finding a pool might be harder to get, but i'll try. Thanks!
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Swimming, bareback horse riding (if that's your thing), strength training, select yoga poses.
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle twice so I have some major scar tissue, just wear a brace and ice it up.!!
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Upper body cardio and weight work is great, too! Hope you heal up really quickly! :D
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I sprained my ankle on Saturday night. I know running is out of the question. Does any one have suggestions on what workouts are safe to do without putting more strain on my ankle? Or do I just completely lay off it for a couple of more days?

What did your doctor recommend?
  • rhenneberry
    Options
    You can do upper body and ab excercises. For lower body work on the bigger muschle groups. I would try low/no impact excercises such as squats, deadlifts, leg extensions and butt lifts (bridge). I did these during my ankle injury last fall while I was in physical therapy. Good Luck!!!!
  • jonessa
    jonessa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions and comments !
    Much appreciated.