Zig Zag Method

Options
CrystalT
CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
After a few suggestions this morning that I research the zig zag method, I'm really digging the idea. I was just wondering how people who are already doing this are cycling the calories. I've seen a couple different suggestions, 2 low / 1 high, 5 low / 2 high. Does it matter as long as it averages out for the week? I really think I'm going to try this. Just trying to get an idea of what the best way to start is.

Replies

• 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have thought about that as well. I have done something like that when I was on weight watchers with cycling the points...and if I recall I did well when doing that. As far as where to start I don't think I can be much help...
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Well, racefan, didn't really get a lot of help yet. The link below is probably the best one I found out there. I think this is what I'm going to follow to start off with. Since I already pretty much know what my maintance calories are, I'm going to skip week 1. Tomorrow through Sunday I'm going to refeed and start zig zagging on Monday. I just wanted to share. Let me know if you decide to try it. Maybe we can give it a go together.

http://fitness-review-network.com/2009/02/zig-zag-calories-for-weight-loss/
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal!

Try this site: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Plug in your stats and then under results, you'll see in small print an option for 7 day calorie cycle (zig zag). There's actually a lot of useful tools & tips on this site.

I'm thinking I may give this a go as well, let me know how it goes for you.

-s
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Hi Crystal!

Plug in your stats and then under results, you'll see in small print an option for 7 day calorie cycle (zig zag). There's actually a lot of useful tools & tips on this site.

-s

Wow!! That's a lot more calories than I have been eating!! MFP gives me around 1300 calories per day before exercise calories. When I used this calculator, I selected little/no exercise just to compair. Their avarage is around 1900 calories a day. Is that right??
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Wow!! That's a lot more calories than I have been eating!! MFP gives me around 1300 calories per day before exercise calories. When I used this calculator, I selected little/no exercise just to compair. Their avarage is around 1900 calories a day. Is that right??

Oh, and that was for fat loss, not maintain.
  • stephcheers
    Options
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I don't get all formal, there's no method. I just eat a lot more every once in a while. Who knew?
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    bumping for the links....interesting
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal!

-s

I wanted to bump because of this ^^ right here...I found this to be very true for me. The calories the MFP initially gave me of 1200 was simply too low. I kept checking other calculations on other sites and getting different answers (all higher). I wasn't losing weight at 1200 calories. So I increased it to 1370 by changing my activity level here. I had used Sedentary due to being an accountant, but changed it to lightly active, which raised my min calories. Still, after nearly a month, nothing was happening..no weight loss, no inches, nothing. So I found a site similar to http://www.aarp.org/health/healthyliving/activity_calculator/ (not this one specifically) and totaled everything I actually do all day long to get my maintenance level. I came up with 2,450. From which a 1000 calorie deficit would leave 1,450 calories. So I increased my calories again, and THEN I began losing pounds.

So yes, double check those numbers :).
  • CrystalT
    Options
    Hi Crystal!

-s

I wanted to bump because of this ^^ right here...I found this to be very true for me. The calories the MFP initially gave me of 1200 was simply too low. I kept checking other calculations on other sites and getting different answers (all higher). I wasn't losing weight at 1200 calories. So I increased it to 1370 by changing my activity level here. I had used Sedentary due to being an accountant, but changed it to lightly active, which raised my min calories. Still, after nearly a month, nothing was happening..no weight loss, no inches, nothing. So I found a site similar to http://www.aarp.org/health/healthyliving/activity_calculator/ (not this one specifically) and totaled everything I actually do all day long to get my maintenance level. I came up with 2,450. From which a 1000 calorie deficit would leave 1,450 calories. So I increased my calories again, and THEN I began losing pounds.

I have enough to lose that I could probably be eating too little and still lose weight. I believe that if you are obese, your body isn't as likely to go into starvation mode. I'll try is. What the worst that could happen? I gain a few lbs. I think it is worth the risk. :smile:
  • jenn160
    jenn160 Posts: 13
    Options
    I was reading what you ladies were saying.
    I think i might need to adjust my numbers so I can promote weightloss.
    I am a receptionist by day and waitress by night 3-4 times a week. Should I still keep
    my profile at low or move it to medium or active?

1200 cals seems really low. So far im doing okay. the first day i found i was really hungry after running around during a closing shift and ended up eating at 1:30 am after work so i could sleep without my tummy growling.

Zig zaggin sounds like it might work. the days im not working as a waitress eat less and others eat more? would that make sense?
  • 8turboturtle8
    8turboturtle8 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi Crystal!

-s

I was going to recommend this site as well...this is the one that gave me the idea to cycle when I was on WW.

they recommend if I add all the days (in extreme fat loss mode) and then divide by 7 to get the over all weekly average of 1518 cals a day. I think this falls closely in line with the above. Also, I am a huge fan of fitness magazine and most of their weight loss "plans" of the month average 1500 cals a day. MFP also gives me 1200 and I have lost hardly anything...and I exercise 4 - 7 times a week...

Sooooo....I think I will bump up my cals and try the cycling again and see what happens....
  • jenn160
    jenn160 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hmmm so is it that at 1200 a day our body is going into starve mode instead of buring fat?
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options

I think I am going to try this, along with switching up my exercise routine. I've been at a plateau for about a month now since I'm about 20 pounds from my goal. Time for something to change!

Question though...are these calorie numbers including exercise? I think they are and that's why they're a little higher. So in theory we just eat the amount for that specific day and not factor in exercise, right?
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    When I calculated my daily calorie usage (what I burned doing normal everyday stuff), I came up with 2,450. That did NOT include my workouts at the gym, or walks with the dog occasionally. Just taking a shower, cooking dinner, feeding the animals, playing with the kids, watching tv and doing light office work for 8 hours a day. etc. When I work out, I enter them into MFP and eat at least half of them too!

Today's calorie goal is 1,744 after an easy workout at the gym.

I am losing every week now, more so than MFP tells me I will. 1-2 pounds a week since I increased my calories to 1,450.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    thanks for the info...going to give it a try!! :drinker: