Exercising at work w/o access to showers

Options
I work in an office, 9-5. I will either eat at my desk then walk for anywhere from 45-55 minutes or walk first (45mins) and then come back and eat. The problem is that the weather is getting warmer and WARMER here in NYC, these last few days have been particularly brutal and I can only imagine what the summer months will bring. We don't have showers (or a gym) so I come back and just wash up in the bathroom and reapply my deodorant before returning to my desk. I guess I should really bring a change of clothes and change before/after but that will take time away from my walking time too.

What do you do when you sweat (and probably smell..lol) during lunchtime workouts?

Replies

• ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I just tuck some baby wipes in my bag, and give myself a once over with them when I get back to the office. Of course, some body spray in your favorite scent wouldn't go amiss! Best of luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I DO BABY WIPES AND THOSE LITTLE LYSOL SPRAYS THAT YOU CAN GET IN THE CHECKOUT AT WALMART THEY DO GREAT JUST A LITTLE WIPE AND SPRAY WHERE I NEED IT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN HA HA HA YOU GO GIRL DID YOU SEE THE THREAD ABOUT TACOS THE OTHER DAY I LOVE THIS SITE
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I rock the stink.
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I am back to normal after 10 mins (sweat gone, face redness gone). I brush my hair, wash my face, put on deodorant and good to go. As long as you shower every single night your body shouldn't smell from working out as long as you're wearing deodorant.

EDIT: you should bring a fresh change of clothes too!
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    I work in an office, 9-5. I will either eat at my desk then walk for anywhere from 45-55 minutes or walk first (45mins) and then come back and eat. The problem is that the weather is getting warmer and WARMER here in NYC, these last few days have been particularly brutal and I can only imagine what the summer months will bring. We don't have showers (or a gym) so I come back and just wash up in the bathroom and reapply my deodorant before returning to my desk. I guess I should really bring a change of clothes and change before/after but that will take time away from my walking time too.

What do you do when you sweat (and probably smell..lol) during lunchtime workouts?

I had the same issue when I lived in NY -- eh, go for baby wipes, dry shampoo, and wear your hair up. :)
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Well we have a gym but even if we didn't I would leave my desk 2 min early and change and then when I come back I would wipe down with baby wipes, spray some body spray, and put my work clothes back on. My work is very laid back though and we don't have any time watchers & we don't punch in and out so we can pretty much do what we want. If we are 10 min late or over on our lunch no one says anything.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I rock the stink.

You go girl!!!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Purse, baby wipes, deodorant, perfume.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    LOL that's really all we can do! I just wash my hands and arms, reapply good smelling lotion, body spray and deodorant and leave my hair in an updo so I look somewhat professional ;)
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I rock the stink.

ditto..........
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    As long as you shower every single night your body shouldn't smell from working out as long as you're wearing deodorant.

Is that a rule? Because someone forgot to tell my body that....
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well we have a gym but even if we didn't I would leave my desk 2 min early and change and then when I come back I would wipe down with baby wipes, spray some body spray, and put my work clothes back on. My work is very laid back though and we don't have any time watchers & we don't punch in and out so we can pretty much do what we want. If we are 10 min late or over on our lunch no one says anything.

This is me too, except the gym part, we don't have one...but I'm fortunate to have some flexibility to be able to be a little late to clean up!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I do the changing of clothes and body spray-- LOTS of it, IF I'm not taking a shower (my work has a gym in it and showers). Yesterday, I just walked/ran outside. I got a little sweaty but not too sweaty and it took longer outside than on the treadmill (go figure!) so I opted to skip the shower.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do the same whe I work out at lunch.

Sometimes I go to bootcamp before work, and get really sweaty though- I bring wash clothes to work and doa total wipedown while I'm changing. I also bring shampooo and a towel and wash my hair in the handicap sink! I have curly hair, so I can get away with it being wet for a while- my whole office knows my routine and laugh at (with) me about it all the time- they are a good natured bunch!
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I work in the law enforcement field in an office where we have to wear "office attire".

I walked almost every day last summer 2-3 miles in the Texas heat at 1pm (It was usually over 102* when I was done) and then returned to my office. I did change to gym clothes before going & kept a wet washcloth in my gym back to help cool me off and do a little bit of wiping off of the sweat. Like another poster said, a little more deoderant and body spray and putting the makeup back on and I was good to go. Yes, my face was still beet red and yes, at times, I was still sweating while sitting at my desk, but it became like a honor badge. If I was red & sweaty, the Agents wanted to know what I was up to on my lunch instead of hitting the track.

It really helps to have understanding co-workers who are encouraging you along.
  • nessaryan
    nessaryan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Try nice scented dryer sheets for your hair! :)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    As long as you shower every single night your body shouldn't smell from working out as long as you're wearing deodorant.

Is that a rule? Because someone forgot to tell my body that....

Guess it's just my rule then. I assumed if you shower every night you wouldn't have a problem. If I skip a shower I don't dare go running on my break.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I rock the stink.

This!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Baby wipes, some fresh deodorant and a bit of dry shampoo if my hair is super gross (orrrr just a ponytail lol)