Sucess when exercising at Home!

Options
Hi everyone, I love reading everyones success stories they are so motivating and inspirational but I would love to the see the ones that have had sucess by exercising at home only.

I keep thinking I will only achieve the results I want by being at the gym which is so unmotivating. I exercise to dvds at home and have a set of weights but find this very boring and I get distracted easily at home especially when I have my son around. I like running but I prefer to run on a treadmill.

Please post your pictures if you've got the results from working out at home :)

Replies

• shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I do not have any progress or success pictures because I want to wait until I reach my goal. I am a mother of a 6 year old girl and 12 year old boy. The only way I work out is at home. I either use DVD's, the Wii, walk or ride bikes. My favorite exercise right now is the dance games on the Wii, we have Just Dance 2 and 3 and the Michael Jackson Experience. As for your child distracting you.... have him exercise with you. My kids do the Wii exercises, walk or ride bikes with me.

I have lost 20.6 lbs and my goal is to lose 50. I started December 26, 2011. I have plateued a bit lately and there are some personal family things going on right now that I am trying to get through, so I am happy to just be maintaining. As soon as these things pass, I will get right back to losing (or trying to).

I have never been to the gym. I only exercise at home. So I know you can have success working out at home too.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I only exercise at home. I am not sure I would call myself a success just yet. But, I have lost 31 pounds since February 24th and toned up quite a bit. I use a Stability Ball for a lot of exercises, I LOVE it! I use Resistance Bands, hand weights a Walking/Skiing type exercise machine.

We have plans to clear out the formal living room that I do not go into, except to dust and vacuum. It'll have those plus a new Multi-Station Home Gym in it. I have already picked it out! Good luck!

Edit to add - My Ticker shows my progress, left was March 10, middle was April 2 and right was yesterday.
  • Sagetheplace
    Sagetheplace Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have only exercised at home, and done even have a gym near me if I wanted to join. I also use dvd's and have started a nice little collection. I also use youtube for videosuse me wii and a bunch of games I have collected for it. I I walk/run/jog outside sometimes. i just do what I feel like doing everyday, it works better for me to get to chose its more motivating. I started with 5lb hand weights. Just recently I borrowed some heavier wieghts but havent used them yet. I dont have any pictures I never took any, but I have lost 74 pounds and going all from hom with my 1 year old who is now 2. So yes it can be done at home without a gym!

Good luck!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I only exercise at home, always have. Really no pictures to see results, am currently doing Chalean xt. though.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I workout at home aswell I do the 30 DS and Leslie Sansone walking DVD. Also sometimes I'll go outside with my 2 yr old walking up and down the road or run around the yard when it isn't wet out .
  • alicia_louise29
    Options
    Hi girls thanks for your replies and congrats on losing

Does anyone have any pics before & afters? x
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I lost every pound of my baby weight working out at home and most importantly, counting calories!!!!

I only went to the gym later on when my kids were in school and I wanted to start lifting heavy and needed the extra weights. I did fine losing weight with a small home gym (10 pound dumbbells, a 12-lb medicine ball, a 15-lb kettlebell, and a barbell with a few weights (total 65lbs if all the weights were on). I also had an elliptical trainer at home, which was helpful in shedding those initial pounds. I still work out at home once in a while if I can't make it into the gym!
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I lost every single pound at home. I have a treadmill, and free weights and I have mounds of workout DVDs. I have 4 kids at home and finding the time to go to the gym and have someone watching them is sometimes impossible. My kids are awesome about my workouts, my 3 year old tries to "workout" with me and my big kids don't mind because I usually exchange the hour of workout for an hour of games. :wink:

I run outdoors on the weekends and sometimes early morning but other than that it was all inside my home. I just purchase bigger weights and accessories to help me on my way. I created a college/motivational wall right in front of my treadmill. I have clippings and phrases and body parts that I like or would like to look more like. I add to it to keep me interested and motivated.

I think I am going to get a family membership to the YMCA this summer though, they have a lot to offer for the kids and daycare while I workout....in a pool....alone....in silence.......why do I workout at home again? :bigsmile:
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your goals are i.e. what you define as "success." If the main purpose of your exercising is to burn a few calories then there are lots of ways to do it and you certainly don't need to go to a gym. Exercise DVD's or Zumba on the Wii or just dancing around to the radio will all get the job done. Mix it up and do whatever you enjoy doing that gets your heart rate up.

If, on the other hand, you want to develop a very cut muscular body you probably need to go to the gym so you have access to heavy weights.

If you are somewhere in the middle -- i.e. would like to look "toned" and be able to some basic things like run up a flights of stairs without passing out there are lots of very challenging exercises you can do at home with little or no equipment. The key is to be consistent and that you continually challenge yourself.

The real question is ... what will best motivate you to be consistent and challenge yourself? Lately my answer to this has been dance class. I take ballet twice a week and my desire to be better in class is enough to motivate me to work out at home on the days I don't have class. Before that I was meeting with a personal trainer who came to my home once a week. (This is one of the reasons I know you can challenge yourself at home -- you wouldn't believe how tough those workouts were!) That also served to motivate me to work out in the off times, but got too expensive.

You need to find something you like well enough to stick with. If you can't stick with it you won't have success no matter where it is.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've only ever exercised at home, I've never belonged to a gym. Up until last week I had never run on a treadmill, I usually run outside. With drive you can accomplish anything, put on your favorite music and just be determined not to be distracted. Whether at the gym or at home, or running give it your all.

I usually run 2-3 times a week, 3-5 miles (sometimes more when training for a race like a half-marathon) and Jillian's 30 Day Shred. Get it if you haven't already it's awesome. Here are my results....keep in mind I run on the days I don't do 30 DS..

I'm doing Jillian's Ripped In 30 now.

30-day-shred-results-02.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!