Insulin resistant?

Options
I have never been diagnosed insulin resistant, but I gain weight if I am not very strict with carbs, even if my calories are on point. I am interested in eating an insulin resistant diet and was wondering if anyone has any tips. In the past what has worked best was restricting what I eat to pretty much meat and veggies, but it is sooooo boring. Help!

Replies

• marg3049
    marg3049 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I hear you. I too have this problem. I have discovered that I am insulin resistant and I really do have to watch the kinds of carbs I eat. I have found that following a glycemic index type of meal plan really helps. So first of all, if you are going to eat a low glycemic diet, you might want to quit counting calories. I don't think you can eat much besides meat and veggies if you are counting both!

I eat lots of proteins besides veggies and meat. Fish, eggs, cheese, yogurt and 1% milk are some of the things I found that I can eat regularly. These are all high in protein and have few, if any carbs. As for carbs, I eat some bread, potato, pasta and rice, but in very limited quantities. I have found that I can have a bread stick once in a while and/or a couple of pieces of melba toast. I also eat small amounts of nuts as they are high in protein.

One of the things I have discovered is that I can have a 6" tortilla and use it as a wrap for a sandwich. Today for lunch I made a tuna wrap. It could just as easily have been a turkey, ham, beef, etc. wrap. Here's what I did. I used a 6 oz. can of tuna. I added 3 tablespoons of low fat mayo, 2 teaspoons of hamburger relish, about 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. of pepper. I then also added 1 green onion, finely chopped up, 2 mushrooms cut up (omit if you don't like mushrooms) and 1 radish finely chopped (for the color). If you don't want to use radish, use about 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped red or orange pepper or a couple of chopped cherry tomatoes. This is mainly to give the mixture some nice color. I then took a bit of lettuce (I used Iceberg) but any kind that you like will do. I tore it into small pieces and made sure it was dry. I sprinkled the lettuce on a 6" whole wheat tortilla and then scooped 1/2 the tuna mixture on top. I rolled it up and that was my 'sandwich'. I also had a few raw veggies and dip with my wrap and had a very satisfying lunch.

I am in the process of creating low glycemic recipes and have quite a few and I'm creating three new ones every day. I need to eat this way and this makes it interesting for me. I would be bored just using someone else's recipes all the time so I make my own recipes. I am a cookbook author and I am fortunate enough that I can go into my kitchen and create recipes at will, so that really helps. I can never use the excuse of getting bored with recipes that way.

Hope this is helpful.

Marg
  • b3kah5
    b3kah5 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you Marg, I've been hesitant sp? to try eating tortillas again, but maybe since they don't have the yeast, I will try. I do miss eating bread like things.lol.