How to love the gym?

Options
Hi all
I've been going to the gym now for about 6 months and i love it! My husband has recently stopped smoking and so to take his mind off the smoking, I've encouraged him to join me in the gym. I've taught him the same Cardio and Strength exercises, that i was taught by my trainer, and we mix the exercises up so that no two sessions have been the same, so that he doesn't get bored. My "problem" is that my husband just doesn't "get" the gym. He really doesn't enjoy going and all though he does make himself work, there's no real enthusiasm. He says that he doesn't get the after buzz, that he doesn't get the happy feelings afterwards. he does get muscle ache the day after, so i know that we're both working hard. i'm starting to think that the gym just isn't for him and that maybe a different form of exercise would suit him better, such as swimming. do you think that he'll grow to enjoy going or do you think that i'm flogging a dead horse?:ohwell:

Replies

• StarIsMoving
    Options
    My hubster won't do the gym, won't do walking/running... he does, however, enjoy biking and tennis. The things he doesn't like, I do on my own - the stuff I know he likes, I encourage more. He has agreed to try everything once when I come up with new ideas though :)
  • allieb35
    allieb35 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks Starls, glad i'm not alone. :tongue:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I find the gym tedious and boring myself.

Maybe encourage him to take up running or biking. :smile:
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I personally hate the gym. I would rather be outside to do my workouts and explore new things, that's why I hike, bike and run. Try to find a hiking trail that is not to far and go hiking together.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Do proper strength training for a year and compare before and after pictures.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    he could maybe feel that he's infringing on your territory in regards to the gym, so doesn't enjoy it as much.
  • hp935
    hp935 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I found that running outside or biking outside is sometimes a lot more enjoyable even though it's the same stuff you could do at the gym you have more scenery and you get the feeling of "being one with nature" and sometimes that works for people!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What are your doing? Maybe he'd respond better to a different type of program. Maybe some big heavy compound barbell moves. Maybe look into Strong Lifts 5x5.
  • allieb35
    Options
    I find the gym tedious and boring myself.

Maybe encourage him to take up running or biking. :smile:

Thanks Shannon, yeah he certainly finds it boring. Will see how he feels about doing some outside exercises :wink:
  • allieb35
    Options
    I personally hate the gym. I would rather be outside to do my workouts and explore new things, that's why I hike, bike and run. Try to find a hiking trail that is not to far and go hiking together.

Thanks Jenn. We tend to walk the dog at weekends around a small forest,this weekend we'll mix things up a bit and try one or two of your suggestions.
  • allieb35
    Options
    Do proper strength training for a year and compare before and after pictures.

I get your way of thinking, for me this is what i'm doing but to be honest, this would scare him off even more,:wink:
  • allieb35
    Options
    he could maybe feel that he's infringing on your territory in regards to the gym, so doesn't enjoy it as much.

You may have a good point there...maybe i just need to leave him to find his own way, hopefully it wont lead back to his packets of cigarettes! i 'm hoping that once he starts to see his body changing and can see results then he'll start to enjoy going. i can live in hope!
  • allieb35
    Options
    I found that running outside or biking outside is sometimes a lot more enjoyable even though it's the same stuff you could do at the gym you have more scenery and you get the feeling of "being one with nature" and sometimes that works for people!

I think you could be right. A change of scenery may be required. We normally walk for a few miles each weekend day. Going forward we may start to bike the course instead. We'll see how we get on with that.
  • allieb35
    Options
    What are your doing? Maybe he'd respond better to a different type of program. Maybe some big heavy compound barbell moves. Maybe look into Strong Lifts 5x5.

Hi Rae
    we're currently doing half an hour of cardio followed by circuit training. I know that free weights and heavy strength training would hold no interrest for him and if anything would definately scare him out of the gym completly, he's such a wuss :embarassed: . i think for now we're going to try something alternative to the gym,such as hiking, biking or even some racquet sports. thanks for your response
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Hi Rae
    we're currently doing half an hour of cardio followed by circuit training. I know that free weights and heavy strength training would hold no interrest for him and if anything would definately scare him out of the gym completly, he's such a wuss :embarassed: . i think for now we're going to try something alternative to the gym,such as hiking, biking or even some racquet sports. thanks for your response

If he's a wuss, tell him to grow a pair and lift. :P
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I don't know your husband but can kind of relate... he doesn't "get" the gym either and in fact, despises it. However, the problem is not that he is bored when he goes, he is insecure about how he looks/what he does. Sadly I know that this is something that likely won't ever change...

If the gym isn't your man's thing, encourage him to do some home workouts like P90X, body weight exercises with some running or biking outside?
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    different strokes for different folks. my gf doesn't enjoy working out or going to a gym. she prefers so-called crash diets when the need arises. it bothered me at first but now i embrace the "me" time in the gym. i use the time to not only work on me physically but also mentally to focus in on issues facting myself or the fam. on the flip side i see couples there frequently and it often seems like they are tripping over one another. i say let your husband be and do you.
  • allieb35
    Options
    Fuzz: dont think i haven't tried telling him to !!! :laugh:
  • allieb35
    Options
    I don't know your husband but can kind of relate... he doesn't "get" the gym either and in fact, despises it. However, the problem is not that he is bored when he goes, he is insecure about how he looks/what he does. Sadly I know that this is something that likely won't ever change...

If the gym isn't your man's thing, encourage him to do some home workouts like P90X, body weight exercises with some running or biking outside?

Hi Maryloo
    i think you've hit the nail on the head, OH is very shy at the best of times, so i think he feels selfconcious, and maybe a little intimidated by the whole gym thing.
    He bought me some free weights, medicine balls and other equipment, so i might encourage him to use these more and combine them with more execise that we can do outdoors too. i guess i'll just have to get over the fact that he doesn't share my passion for indoor gyms:ohwell:
  • SlimSammy2012
    Options
    If I can speak on behalf of most men...If they played any competitive sports when they were in HS, college or whatever, the need for competition is the key! I played Hockey all of my young life into my mid 40's. Can't do that anymoe but Racketball is one thing I like...Men desire competion.