Another calories topic

Options
A bit of a large post but I tried to give what Info I could!

My question is: I think I should change to active, or am I under/overestimating here, I guess its the fact I sit down all day that has me wondering (or is that good for recovery :tongue: )?

Vital Stats:
Last Weigh In: 221lbs
Current Weight: 224 lbs (as of this evening - next weigh in 22/04 [bank hols messed with when I could record])
Starting Weight: 252 (256 before MFP)

Ok, so I have been using MFP and have lost 28lbs (had been 31lbs) since the end of Jan 2012 (although somewhat impatiently). I had been losing failry consistently but I am concerned that now that I have found new energy and have been steady in attending the Gym 3/4nights a week for up to 70 - 95 mins (doing mainly cardio) that perhaps I really ought to edit my goals and perhaps set myself as active?

I have an office job (IT Consultant) so I am sat down for most of the day, except lunchtime when I go for a 25min walk.
Then Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat I was going down the Gym for cardio on the treadmill, up to 95mins (Sat 30mins in Gym but an hours walk to get there), burning anything from 900 to 1500 calories according to my Polar FT4 HRM (depending how hard I push).

Before the end of Jan I did not go to the gym and did not go out at lunch for a walk for 30mins, i was properly lazy, but now I love the gym and getting a sweat on.

My routine most recently (11kph for 1 min is the max I can do and that is much higher than I woiuld have tried in Jan):
10 mins warm up - 5kph to 6kph - 0 incline 5 mins then 5-6 inclne 5mins
20 mins treadmill - 6kph 1 min -> 11kph 1min -> repeat cycle for the 20mins (no holding onto the bar)
5min cooldown
20 mins treadmill - 5.5 to 6kph - 7 to 7.5 incline, looking to up incline (no holding onto the bar)
Or the steady state and interval cardio swapped around and then
If sitll feeling energetic (which my will power will say i do) then 20 mins treadmill - 6kph 2 min -> 11kph 1min -> repeat cycle for the 20mins (no holding onto the bar)
5min cooldown

Now I do cardio because it is very hard to get to the free weights or on the weight machines at my Gym due to all the "regulars", and it takes me 45 mins to get home so I can't be there late, which leaves me in a bind when it comes to weights and eating at the right time at night.

I had gotten some Kettlebells (16kg) but I very rarely used them, but I have decided to now make more of an effort in using the kettlebells. I can only lift 16kg when doing squats with the kettlebells and I have also tried deadlifts (16kg too light) and kb swings (8kg as not quite got the technique right yet).
When I do get to use them I am aiming for 6 reps per set of each "strength" exercise, up to 10-12 sets (or what I can in the 45mins).
So: KB deadlift -> KB squat -> KB swing -> 30-60secs rest -> repeat cycle for 45-60mins
And then a mix up in 3 to 4 weeks.

My new plan is:
Mon: Strength, Tues: Cardio, Wed: Strength, Thur: Cardio, Fri: Strength, Sat: Cardio. Sun: Lazy day/weigh in

Anyway, so I am much, much more active than I used to be and I am now at the point where I am worried about running myself into the ground as I have my settings wrong.
I eat nearly all my exercise calories back where I can (leaving a difference of 100-200 cals where possilbe).

My MFP settings are Sedentary with a daily calorie allowance of 1430, which now seems wrong...

I am still experimenting and I try to change things up and push myself harder every 3-4 weeks or so as I improve.

In terms of diet
My biggest problem is I love red meat and bread. My weaknesses are Wholemeal bread, sausages, bacon and steak.
The biggest change is adding more veg, big hurdle at the moment!
I have been eating so little veg that I have not recorded it as yet (the only thing to not be recorded) as it really has been tiny amounts (a mouthful of celery or radish here and there as I try to change my ways)!
Fruit has not been an issue, love apples and bananas (it will be all the sugar)...
My diary is pretty bad fat wise as I just love omelettes and bacon or omelette and sausages, or steaks.
Fizzy and chocs were easy to give up, crisps a little less so but starting to move aways from crisps.

My Diet will change and accomodate more veg and fish, but for me it will be a slow change, but it wil change!
I am taking food supplements (Centrum A-Z) temporarily.

So I had better stop there and thanks for reading up to this point.

Any constructive criticism or positive help would be appreciated in helping me overcome this worry of, weill I guess in the end, increasing my calorie intake.

I would just add that the cardio helps to wash away the strains/frustrations of the day, at the right intensity that is, so I doubt I will drop the amount of cardio to less than 60 mins 3 times a week, as it really does make me feel better. Weights don't seem to have that same effect just yet.

10-Jan-2012 N/A
15-Jan-2012 Loss 0 st 4.2 lbs
22-Jan-2012 No Change <-- started MFP around this date
29-Jan-2012 Loss 0 st 4.8 lbs <-- First MFP Weigh In
05-Feb-2012 Loss 0 st 2.2 lbs
12-Feb-2012 Loss 0 st 2.2 lbs
19-Feb-2012 Loss 0 st 2 lbs
26-Feb-2012 Loss 0 st 2 lbs
04-Mar-2012 Loss 0 st 3.6 lbs
11-Mar-2012 Loss 0 st 4.4 lbs
18-Mar-2012 Loss 0 st 2.4 lbs
25-Mar-2012 Loss 0 st 1 lbs
01-Apr-2012 Loss 0 st 3.2 lbs
10-Apr-2012 Loss 0 st 2.6 lbs
16 Apr - 3lb gain (probably water differences - was expecting no change as routine interuppted by bank holiday)

Replies

• Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    sedentary seems appropriate - sitting in the chair all day - as the extra activity is being recorded as exercise and hence manipulates your totals.

If a different setting bumped up your calorie target by 200 cals would you eat them or take the advantage as weight loss ?
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    Ok so I am looking at the post - your workout is fine - you are moving and that is key. The cardio looks good and you are doing the strength training in combination.

The problem is totally diet related. Lay off the bacon and sausage - if you absolutely need it try a leaner version - such as maybe a turkey bacon. The steak is fine - I love red meat once in a while for iron, but try leaner cuts or even try BISON - this is a nice lean meat that may need to be flavored a little more.

Dump the bread - I did it when I started my home based program Insanity last year and that is the thing that leaned me out. I was addicted to breads, cereals, rice, pasta and after eliminating them from my diet I was so much better. I had fajitas the other night and instead of the tortilla wrapper I used bibb lettuce and made lettuce fajita wrap.

The fruit you write hasn't been a problem and then something about the sugar - this sugar if you are going to have some are better than what you are consuming in bread sugars.

Try to incorporate more chicken, eggs are good - yolk aren't bad, but maybe in your omelettes use 1 yolk to 2 egg whites. I love omelettes I put spinach, broccoli, chicken and then for a little flavor I put a little salsa in it.

It will take time, but once you find a way to eat where you can make it a lifestyle you will lose weight! Keep up the great job on the exercise!
  • kasarin
    kasarin Posts: 82
    Options
    you are sedentary. Record your walk and gym as excersice and then choose whether or not to eat back excersice cals.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am looking at the post - your workout is fine - you are moving and that is key. The cardio looks good and you are doing the strength training in combination.

The problem is totally diet related. Lay off the bacon and sausage - if you absolutely need it try a leaner version - such as maybe a turkey bacon. The steak is fine - I love red meat once in a while for iron, but try leaner cuts or even try BISON - this is a nice lean meat that may need to be flavored a little more.

Dump the bread - I did it when I started my home based program Insanity last year and that is the thing that leaned me out. I was addicted to breads, cereals, rice, pasta and after eliminating them from my diet I was so much better. I had fajitas the other night and instead of the tortilla wrapper I used bibb lettuce and made lettuce fajita wrap.

The fruit you write hasn't been a problem and then something about the sugar - this sugar if you are going to have some are better than what you are consuming in bread sugars.

Try to incorporate more chicken, eggs are good - yolk aren't bad, but maybe in your omelettes use 1 yolk to 2 egg whites. I love omelettes I put spinach, broccoli, chicken and then for a little flavor I put a little salsa in it.

It will take time, but once you find a way to eat where you can make it a lifestyle you will lose weight! Keep up the great job on the exercise!

Not everyone needs to dump the bread. There's nothing wrong with eating bread. I've been eating bread, cereals and pasta all along - I simply DO IT IN MODERATION. This does NOT have to be about creating "bad" or "off limits" foods. Plain and simple.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

On top of the intake that MFP gives you for your goal, you should also be eating back the calories burned from exercise to ensure your deficit is not too large for the amount you have to lose.
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

On top of the intake that MFP gives you for your goal, you should also be eating back the calories burned from exercise to ensure your deficit is not too large for the amount you have to lose.
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    I am trying to help with the bread - I love bread was the quoted food - you really do not need bread to sustain life and there are more efficient ways to get whole grains into your diet besides breads and cereals. Grains such as quinoa, farrow, kamut could be a nice supplement instead of bread. Steel cut oat meal with almonds and fresh berries instead of cereal.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

I had already decided to slowly cut out the bread (thanks for the suggestion) and for now I am going with wholemeal pittas for my evening meal.

I shall give some of the other suggested foods a try as well.
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you start doing smoothies or protein shakes (although you already get a lot of protein) you can hide some vegetables in there.