I Started To Eat More Calories, and I Gained Weight...WTF?

Options
Gah, it was really depressing to see the scale go up 4 pounds overnight because I went up to 1,650 calories to see if I could lose weight. I'm defiantly staying away from that and going back to 1300.

Replies

• jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    4 lbs in a day has to be just water. Give it a few more days. I was told to try it for at least 3 weeks.
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    It takes your body time to get used to those extra calories.It is impossible to gain four pounds in one day. It's just water weight. Give your body some time to adjust.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain fat. You gained water and glycogen. It will pass.
  • M1ssBehave
    M1ssBehave Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    are you sure it wasn't just water? you shouldn't gain 4 lbs overnight on an extra 350 calories.
    the true test of your sucess will be your measurements not your weight. i lost 4 pant sizes (same brand of jeans) with out losing a pound. but now i have a line down the middle of my stomach instead of a pot belly. so don't get discouraged. if you are working out your body might need the calories.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Dear god. Give it a month.You didn't gained 4 pounds of fat!!! It is water weight
  • silvereyes6
    Options
    Definitely patience is key, one day is not enough time for your body to get used to a change like that.
  • ryn013
    ryn013 Posts: 116
    Options
    It's definitely got to be water weight. Don't forget when you up your calories, adjust your workout as well.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Dear god. Give it a month.You didn't gained 4 pounds of fat!!! It is water weight
    THIS...How long did you eat the higher calories for??
  • SOMETHING HAPPEND TO ME I US TO EAT MY CALORIES BACK AND I WOULD GAIN SOME OF MY LOST WEIGH BACK OR NOT EVEN LOSS A POUND FOR MONTHS >:( SO I JUST WENT BACK TO 1,350 A DAY :)
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    By the looks of your diary you possibly had alot of sodium so it is all water weight I am sure. Give it 3 weeks
  • jenschnack
    jenschnack Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    1650 is most likely not more than your maintenance so you shouldn't gain especially if you are exercising.
  • jaygirl3
    jaygirl3 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. now i am losing when i went back to 1200
  • KatKatatrophic
    KatKatatrophic Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    THIS...How long did you eat the higher calories for??

A day lol. I'm very impatient and seeing that kind of weight gain makes my day crap afterwards. I drank 6 glasses of water, I guess that explains a lot.
  • Allic1971
    Allic1971 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Remember in order to have gained 4 pounds of fat you would have needed to consume an extra 14,000 calories...:noway:

Its water don't stress give it 3 weeks and buy a tape measure. :happy:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    it looks like you ate a lot of salty junk which is probably why you gained water weight. plus you are like 110lbs...so i doubt you would gain 4 pounds of fat over night.
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Remember in order to have gained 4 pounds of fat you would have needed to consume an extra 14,000 calories...:noway:

Its water don't stress give it 3 weeks and buy a tape measure. :happy:

^^ THIS
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    It takes an extra 3500 calories to = 1lb of weight gain.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Research on increasing calories indicates that it is normal for a person to gain up to 8 lbs. during the first month (nearly all water) when they start eating more. The weight then starts to drop off after the metabolism increases which can honestly take up to a month. As per the above comments, you have to give it more than one day. I was up 1 lb. last Friday...from strength training on Thursday. There are so many variables that you simply cannot draw a conclusion like yours from a single data point.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    By the looks of your diary you possibly had alot of sodium so it is all water weight I am sure. Give it 3 weeks

^ THIS!!