You guys say carbs isn't the issue, for me it is..

Options
had home-made whole wheat pasta for dinner twice in a row... each morning I woke up a pound heavier, i keep my sodium under 900mg all the time, i don't get it.. :( is it the carbs? i'm at 1,200 cals to hopefully lose 10 lbs by mid-May... 125g carbs a day, 85g protein..

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself everyday is too inconsistent.. a 1 lb fluctuation is mainly water weight.. i can vary 5lbs throughout the day easily usually more, thats why you have a reference day and time to weigh in and evaluate your progress. don't blame the carbs. it could be several different things
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    you can't judge a food category after eating it only twice. also, you cannot gain a pound of fat overnight (unless you ate an excess of 3,500 cals). carbs can bloat people, especially when they usually don't eat a lot of carbs, then decide to add carbs back in. after a few weeks of eating a little more carbs, your body will adjust and most likely not bloat after a night of pasta.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    don't weigh yourself every day...it's not accurate :) once a week would be better. two lots of home made pasta won't make you gain weight overnight...definitely water weight. Remember that you need to eat an excess of 3500 to gain a pound :)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Carbs can cause you to retain water, but that's not actual fat... I have eaten pasta dinners and woke up weighing less, but if they're salty sometimes I will retain water. Weighing every day can be a good tool to see how different things affect you, but it can also drive you crazy. Maintain a steady course of action and only weigh weekly if it's getting to you. That will give you a more objective view of what's going on and you won't drive yourself nuts.

My suggestion is to not eat below your BMR and if you have been used to eating 1200 calories for a long period of time, gradually increase them by 50 or 100 calories every few weeks until you are at least at your BMR. This is the healthiest way and you will still lose weight while maintaining and feeding your muscles.

I would increase my protein to above what your carbs are if possible, but that's just me...
  • AmandasJourney2012
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone...

but it's been 3 weeks since i've been trying to eat clean and going to the gym 3 times a week (mainly cardio) and i lost only 2 lbs.. i don't get it.. my sugar is always under 15g, sodium under 900... only eating complex carbs.. :(
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    This is sooo beat to death and I can hear the MFP groans but are you eating your exercise calories back? 1200 is too low and will slow your metabolism down.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    3 weeks is not a long time.. 2 lbs in 3 weeks isnt a bad number at all if you only have 10lb to lose, It wont happen over night , it takes time , think of it like this, how long has it taken for you to get at the weight you are now.. Its going to take more work and time to loose those last 10lb and an avg of over .5 a week is good, even though it may not seem fast enough..
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options

but it's been 3 weeks since i've been trying to eat clean and going to the gym 3 times a week (mainly cardio) and i lost only 2 lbs.. i don't get it.. my sugar is always under 15g, sodium under 900... only eating complex carbs.. :(

2lb is a great weigh loss for two weeks- especially for someone of a small frame.
    You might have gained muscle mass from exercise too :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Why don't you cut your carbs and see what happens?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    carboHYDRATEs store water within muscle and liver cells its called glycogen. the weight you gain is from water weight and its NOT subcutaneous water (water underneath the skin).

if someone were to low carb diet for a week (30g a day) they would lose around 10lbs and mostly it would be water weight, having one carb meal will replace it. body weight is irrelevant and its the aesthetics that count (unless you compete in a sport where body weight is relevant) and carbs create fullness within muscle cells so although u will be at a higher weight carbs make you look better as long as you do not eat too many and bloat yourself... each person has a sweet spot for carb intake.

for myself i like to have my carbs relatively low for my bodyweight and i consume around 150g carbs a day until i try to get even leaner
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,161 Member
    Options

Your net (in thru food minus burnt thu gym) calories should be more than your BMR. So you need to eat more.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

Get off the cardio and focus on strength training. Eat 1500 calories a day and lift until you can't lift any more, wait until the soreness fades, and then do it again! Eat as close to a 40/30/30 ratio of carbs/protein/fat as possible. What strength training moves should you do? Squat, deadlift, Lunge (with weights) and pull ups.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would eat more, not less.:bigsmile:
  • AmandasJourney2012
    Options
    but MFP has me set to 1,200 NET cals.. why should I up my cals?
  • teripen
    teripen Posts: 15
    Options
    Your body could just be adjusting and you've started to hit a plateau. I used to think that a calorie is a calorie when actually protein is much easier to burn up than carbs. I cut way back on the carbs and started eating a lot of protein. The first three days I thought I was going to starve to death but I stuck it out and it has made a huge difference and I feel a lot better too.
  • solarpower03
    Options

Get off the cardio and focus on strength training. Eat 1500 calories a day and lift until you can't lift any more, wait until the soreness fades, and then do it again! Eat as close to a 40/30/30 ratio of carbs/protein/fat as possible. What strength training moves should you do? Squat, deadlift, Lunge (with weights) and pull ups.

What is the basis of this- '40/30/30 ratio of carbs/protein/fat'?
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

It originates from a study called "The Zone Diet" and is advocated in The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, but here's a sum up of the premise of the 'diet'.

"The diet centers on a "40:30:30" ratio of calories obtained daily from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, respectively. The ideal formula has been under debate, although studies over the past several years (including a non-scientific study by the PBS documentary show Scientific American Frontiers) have shown that it can produce weight loss at reasonable rates. The Scientific American Frontiers study compared the effectiveness of several popular 'diet' regimens including the Zone; somewhat to the surprise of the show's staff, the participants on the Zone experienced the greatest fat loss while simultaneously gaining muscle mass. Participants also reported the Zone as the easiest regime to adjust to, i.e., having the fewest adverse effects such as fatigue or hunger. Most people who report fatigue find that the fatigue diminishes by day 2 or 3."
  • solarpower03
    Options

It originates from a study called "The Zone Diet" and is advocated in The New Rules of Lifting by Lou Schuler and Alwyn Cosgrove. I know Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source, but here's a sum up of the premise of the 'diet'.

"The diet centers on a "40:30:30" ratio of calories obtained daily from carbohydrates, proteins, and fats, respectively. The ideal formula has been under debate, although studies over the past several years (including a non-scientific study by the PBS documentary show Scientific American Frontiers) have shown that it can produce weight loss at reasonable rates. The Scientific American Frontiers study compared the effectiveness of several popular 'diet' regimens including the Zone; somewhat to the surprise of the show's staff, the participants on the Zone experienced the greatest fat loss while simultaneously gaining muscle mass. Participants also reported the Zone as the easiest regime to adjust to, i.e., having the fewest adverse effects such as fatigue or hunger. Most people who report fatigue find that the fatigue diminishes by day 2 or 3."

Thanks, very helpful mate. I was on 45/30/25 so will adjust to this.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    had home-made whole wheat pasta for dinner twice in a row... each morning I woke up a pound heavier, i keep my sodium under 900mg all the time, i don't get it.. :( is it the carbs? i'm at 1,200 cals to hopefully lose 10 lbs by mid-May... 125g carbs a day, 85g protein..

Understand the difference between water weight gain and fat gain.

Just because the scale went up a pound, does NOT mean you've gained a pound of fat.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It depends how you think and the lifestyle you live by. I used to be a huge carb eater, then I cut them out completely but binged... Now I'm eating Primal/Paleo and honestly? I feel a whole lot better. I highly recommend you avoid weighing yourself daily, it's not a true reflection of your weight. Pick a day/time each week and stick with that.

I could go on but my eating and nutrition is completely different now so without blabbing on about my choices I can't offer much more insight.