Hypoglycemia?

Options
Anyone here have hypoglycemia? Long story short, I went to a few doctors a couple years ago for what I now think are symptoms of hypoglycemia, although I didn't know what was wrong at the time. I wasn't satisfied with the doctor's answers at the time, but since 2 or 3 doctors had basically had the "it doesn't sound like it's anything to be concerned about" answer, I tried and tried to not worry, and eventually didn't worry much about it at all.

The symptoms never really got much better, I just sort of learned to live with them. Lately though , some of the same symptoms (feeling weak, shaky, tired, and suddenly hungry and grumpy, "blah") have gotten worse, and appear at the same time of day each day. I've adjusted my diet several times but can't seem to find anything that helps me feel better.

However, I am waiting on a friend to get my the phone number of her doctor who she raves about (visited him for a similar concern), and then I will be (a little more forcefully than with other doctors in the past :angry: ) making a visit and requiring something be done. Just wondering if anyone is hypoglycemic, and would care to share anything about it- if you're on medication for it, how you've learned to live with it, your experience, etc.

Nobody likes the unknown:ohwell: , and I always enjoy hearing other people's advice/stories/descriptions/comments.

I appreciate it :flowerforyou:

Replies

• andlofly
    andlofly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yes, I have hypoglycemia... and yes I manage it quite well.

It is important to eat at regular intervals (you have to find what your "limit" is... for me I can't go more than 3.5 hours without the shakes... and when I'm more active and reducing my calories I need to eat every 2.5 hours) However, it is equally important to balance the carbs with protein for every meal and snack. I think these days they call that the Glycemic Index. Back in the day, it was called Link-and-Balance eating.

When I was first diagnosed I read several books from the library. The one I found most helpful (it explained things in a way I could easily understand and adapt to) was called "The Insulin Resistance Diet". Maybe your local library carries it.

Hang in there. This is something that can easily be dealt with without medication. At least it has been for me.

Good Luck!
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I've often wondered if I have it. I'm interested in reading the responses. Best wishes to you.
  • tabstattooed
    Options
    small meals, regular intervals

low carb foods....avoid breads, rice and refined sugars

google low glycemic foods

exercise causes my sugar to drop too.....

it can be controlled if you pay attention to what you eat and drink. It is not hard to do but you have to pay attention......certain foods cause mine to drop lower than others. Certain foods enter the blood stream at different times.....baked sweet potatoes makes mine drop fast......so I am careful with them and try to eat a protien with them....it helps.

there are many books on the market.

and food is not the only cause for this,,,,,,stress can cause it.
    my sugar dips dangerously low....in the 20-30's.

good luck
  • carissalynn82
    Options
    I eat something every two hours. In the morning I try to start out with some eggs or a low calorie protein bar (I do not eat meat). The combination of these two things has helped a lot! I always keep a snack in my bag just in case.

I discovered I was hypoglycemic after 2 tries at the South Beach diet. The first time I just got very weak and "sick" feeling. The second time I woke up out of a deep sleep in the early morning. I was sweating, shaking, dizzy and felt panicked. I only felt better after downing 3/4 of a box of cereal. So scary! The doctor told me that I should never go on a diet that so drastically restricts carbohydrates in the beginning. I can't do that initial phase (the ketogenic diet). Now I focus on mixing healthy carbohydrates with lean, vegetarian proteins. I'm feeling great and losing weight!

Good luck to you!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I consider myself pretty well-informed regarding health and nutrition, and I do eat at small intervals- usually no more than 2 and a half hours. I eat a lot of protein, and stay away from white bread, and sugars, but haven't found anything that helps :ohwell: Years back, I passed out once, and came as close as you can get to passing out without actually doing it a couple of times. I'm actually starting to really wonder if I would require medication?

Thank you SO much for your responses. It's comforting to hear what you all have to say. I'm curious to see other responses, too! :flowerforyou:
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    bumping to see if anyone else has anything to share... :flowerforyou: