Wow!!! I'm really doing this. Does anyone else get discour

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm a morbidly obese 43 year old guy who actually worked hard about 10 years ago after being overweight all his life and did a crazy diet. Over a period of six months I ate less than 5 fat grams per day, less than 1000 calories, and walked 10-15 miles every night and within that time lost just over 100 lbs. Since then I got married, got comfortable, and instead of working on me started working on taking care of everything else just as my wife did. The walking was replaced by cooking supper for my family, yeah, I'm a guy that loves to cook. Unfortunately for me and my wife it must be pretty good. lol I hope to meet some friends on here who are true friends that know how to help encourage me when I want to give up and who I can be there for too. I just don't have the motivation that I had before nor do I have the health either. I can't exercise like I did before due to complications from diabetes. My wife encourages me greatly but we both tend to do well for a bit and then give up. I've gained 140 lbs since we got married. I want to go dancing again and not look like bouy in a severe wave. I've went from dirty dancing to the pudgy shuffle in no time. lol Anyway, if anyone out there has any comments or just needs a friend give me a yell. Who knows, maybe we can all get together and go out to (not)eat. Seems like nearly all get-togethers start with one thing but end up with bunches of food...Lastly, I love playing with my old hot-rods, doing artwork, and playing piano and guitar as well as singing. Any other musicians out there give me a yell.

Replies

• craighamilton219
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm a morbidly obese 43 year old guy who actually worked hard about 10 years ago after being overweight all his life and did a crazy diet. Over a period of six months I ate less than 5 fat grams per day, less than 1000 calories, and walked 10-15 miles every night and within that time lost just over 100 lbs. Since then I got married, got comfortable, and instead of working on me started working on taking care of everything else just as my wife did. The walking was replaced by cooking supper for my family, yeah, I'm a guy that loves to cook. Unfortunately for me and my wife it must be pretty good. lol I hope to meet some friends on here who are true friends that know how to help encourage me when I want to give up and who I can be there for too. I just don't have the motivation that I had before nor do I have the health either. I can't exercise like I did before due to complications from diabetes. My wife encourages me greatly but we both tend to do well for a bit and then give up. I've gained 140 lbs since we got married. I want to go dancing again and not look like bouy in a severe wave. I've went from dirty dancing to the pudgy shuffle in no time. lol Anyway, if anyone out there has any comments or just needs a friend give me a yell. Who knows, maybe we can all get together and go out to (not)eat. Seems like nearly all get-togethers start with one thing but end up with bunches of food...Lastly, I love playing with my old hot-rods, doing artwork, and playing piano and guitar as well as singing. Any other musicians out there give me a yell.
  • debbie_010
    debbie_010 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You will find lots of friends and encouragement on MFP. Everyone is very nice and willing to lend an ear whenever you need it. If you need motivation or just need to vent... post it and let us know. You can do this...we all can.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Here's wishing you the best of luck guy! :drinker:

Remember, if you do this with a healthy diet and some exercise instead of some kind of "diet" where you temporarilly change the way you eat, you are not only getting healthy for the long run, your doing it in a way that sets you up for sucess forever. IMHO any diet plan that you have to stop at some point is a failure waiting to happen. Stats don't lie: 90% of people who use some kind of "diet" regain the weight at some point. Changing your lifestyle and eating habits is permenant! It may take a little longer, but the benefits are a million times higher!
    -Banks
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, lost it, got it back and more. You name it , I have tried it and over the years have learned one very important constant. DIETs never work for the long haul. Yes, you will loose weight some times and yes some are crazy. The only way to loose weight safely and permentaly is to change your life style and choices in life, especially food consumption and excerise.

“You did not get to the weight you are over night, do not expect to loose it over night.”

This is a great site, with great support, welcome and good luck on your new life.

John
  • JJAE53
    JJAE53 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    I think everyone gets discouraged sometimes. When that happens to you, post how you're feeling and you'll find tons of support.
    Wishing the best for you!
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    Options
    :flowerforyou: welcome!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome. u r gonna love this site. good luck.:wink:
  • ltalent
    ltalent Posts: 2
    Options
    Craig,

There was an op-ed in the NYT recently about willpower that suggest that the brain can only focus on one thing at a time and that by concentrating on one thing, we usually let something else slide, even if we don't notice There is some interesting stuff about the connection between blood sugar and willpower. Luckily, it also suggests that over time, you can grow willpower. The idea interested me because I found that when I quit smoking, the hardest part to overcome was not the cigarettes but the idea of myself as a non-smoker, a healthy person. It was so much a part of me for so long. I did it gradually, but it finally took and somehow after that brown rice and wheat bread magically appeared in my grocery cart!

Best of luck getting healthy and I hope you find the op-ed as interesting as I did.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/opinion/02aamodt.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=willpower&st=nyt&oref=slogin
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Good luck! We are here for you. :flowerforyou:

When I am about to go off the deep end with food, I try to tell myself "That ________ doesn't taste as good as sexy feels!" Maybe that is more of a woman's mantra, but you get the idea!

You could replace "sexy" with "healthy" or "comfortable/pain-free".
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

A month ago I was told I had diabetes and that was incentive enough for me. I want to be around for my family. I can not exercise like I used to either. I started walking 30 min. 5 days a week and now I am doing 35-40 min 7 days. Not fast walking. The weight is coming off. I also eat lots of veggies and drink plenty of water. You can do this you did it before and you will be back to your dancing. Dancing is also very good exercise. LOL :bigsmile:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that, lost it, got it back and more. You name it , I have tried it and over the years have learned one very important constant. DIETs never work for the long haul. Yes, you will loose weight some times and yes some are crazy. The only way to loose weight safely and permentaly is to change your life style and choices in life, especially food consumption and excerise.

“You did not get to the weight you are over night, do not expect to loose it over night.”

This is a great site, with great support, welcome and good luck on your new life.

John

I agree with him "Diet" is a bad word a very very very bad word. The best thing you can do is to eat foods as close to thier natural state as physically possible for you. Cut out the empty calories of processed food, personally if I can not recongize the ingredients, I don't eat it, simple. I drink alot of water, and most of all I am putting good natural things in my body so I do good things for it, such as working out and more recently I am taking time for yoga, to thank my body for how far its come. You do have a support network here, welcome and you can do it
  • craighamilton219
    Options
    Nope!!!! Sexy is good. I used to turn heads in a good way and now I feel I turn them in a negative way. I feel like a freak. I am going to do this and I can honestly say all day when I would think about eating something unhealthy I'd think of having to post here and how bad the report would look. I actually kept calories to about 1100 which left me 1500 to go with my present weight. Funny thing is I don't want anything else. Hope tomorrow is just as good.
  • snakeskin
    snakeskin Posts: 21
    Options
    Best of luck to you hun.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Craig - Welcome...:flowerforyou:

You're committed to this, and this is the time that you will succeed!!! After trying at least 20 "diets" to lose weight, this program was finally something that I was committed to, fit with my lifestyle, and, best of all, IT WORKS!!!

We're all here when you need support! So many people have helped to inspire me, and listened when I was frustrated, or was ready to quit. I truly believe it's the support on here that has kept me going!

BEST OF LUCK!!!
    :smile: :smile: :smile: