MFP warning about eating under BMR

Options

Replies

• mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Are we talking net or total? In other words, is it bad to have a NET below BMR or a TOTAL below BMR?
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Where did you find out your tdee? Or is that the chart including activity level on the fat2fit site? Thanks :)

The fat2fit site includes a deficit for weight loss.

You can try: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/calorie-calculator.html

I like it as you can get a bit more specific with your activities.

^This. I started with the fitnessfrog calculator and it did me no wrong. I didn't take a cut though. I recently started spitting back the fat2fit one because it seems more popular.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Are we talking net or total? In other words, is it bad to have a NET below BMR or a TOTAL below BMR?
    everything is ALWAYS above BMR. Start at TDEE and see if you loose weight...don't go to the a coma state (bmr).
  • sayoder7
    sayoder7 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Start at TDEE and see if you loose weight.

if you do the TDEE isn't what you think it is, surely ?
  • Primm
    Primm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My anecdata: I eat around 1200 cal a day. I don't eat back my exercise calories unless I burn off more than the 1200 cal I consume. I'm 5'8". I now run 10k and cycle 70k regularly, from a complete couch potato base in September 2011. I can bench press nearly half my body weight and do 30 toe pushups in a minute. I have dropped body fat and *shock* increased muscle mass according to my latest dexa scan, while losing 51 lb in about 8 months.

According to some of the studies above, that's not physically possible. But I've done it so it is.

One size does *not* fit all.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    As this is a non-medically licensed site there can be no such "Warning". It can be suggested as to the overall outcomes of eating so given full disclosure of facts. And in that, this should be the suggestion for a future Board - a Basis of why and How with NON-Marketed medically proven facts.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Start at TDEE and see if you loose weight.

if you do the TDEE isn't what you think it is, surely ?
    Read the rest of the thread. These are all calculations. Everyone is a little different. I found even with strip throat and being very very sedentary (essentially not leaving bed) I would still loose. Not to mention, Sometimes I was above or below. But I've netted for the week above the calculated TDEE values and still had a loss.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Okay that's it, I'm upping my calories. All of these calculations tell me I'm burning anywhere from 1341 at bmr to 2214 at tdee. I've been netting 1200 calories for a month, and yes I'm making some progress but I work out almost every day and my energy levels are starting to decline. I just added strength training last week.
    I don't think all of you would spend so much time posting about this if you weren't so passionate about it! I've looked at several others food diaries and they look fabulous and most of them eat way more calories than I do.

Hopefully a month of netting below my bmr hasn't done so much damage that I gain weight by upping yet....

I'm not sure what number to shoot for, I have 102 pounds of lean body mass. My goal weight is 125 and I'm at 150. For those of you who have done this, do you think 1600 is a good place to start or would you go up to 1700? Dang it, this shouldn't be so scary
  • rehtaeh78
    rehtaeh78 Posts: 90
    Options

Thanks for this link!
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Okay that's it, I'm upping my calories. All of these calculations tell me I'm burning anywhere from 1341 at bmr to 2214 at tdee. I've been netting 1200 calories for a month, and yes I'm making some progress but I work out almost every day and my energy levels are starting to decline. I just added strength training last week.
    I don't think all of you would spend so much time posting about this if you weren't so passionate about it! I've looked at several others food diaries and they look fabulous and most of them eat way more calories than I do.

Hopefully a month of netting below my bmr hasn't done so much damage that I gain weight by upping yet....

I'm not sure what number to shoot for, I have 102 pounds of lean body mass. My goal weight is 125 and I'm at 150. For those of you who have done this, do you think 1600 is a good place to start or would you go up to 1700? Dang it, this shouldn't be so scary

God love you *pant pant* all that typing is now worth it :P *light at the end of the tunnel* I was at 1200 as well...I wish I knew what I knew then. Just FYI, don't aim for BMR or hover around BMR and have a goal set to higher. Set it to somewhere below TDEE if you like but stay above your BMR.

Example, my BMR is ~1360. I usually try to hit at least 1500...and sometimes go over my goal (1650) occasionally by...um...thousands :P
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    These are all calculations. Everyone is a little different.

Indeed, but if I lose weight eating at my estimated TDEE then the estimate's out by the amount I lose, shirley.

In the absence of a metabolic lab that's how I would find out my TDEE but it may take a long time.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options

God love you *pant pant* all that typing is now worth it :P *light at the end of the tunnel* I was at 1200 as well...I wish I knew what I knew then. Just FYI, don't aim for BMR or hover around BMR and have a goal set to higher. Set it to somewhere below TDEE if you like but stay above your BMR.

Example, my BMR is ~1360. I usually try to hit at least 1500...and sometimes go over my goal (1650) occasionally by...um...thousands :P

Thanks! :)
  • stefizzle9109
    Options
    I googled all the information and I feel like Im starting to get a hang of it. I have lost almost 40lbs at 1200 calories and working my tail off, but lately Ive been stalled around the same couple pounds.
    My TDEE-2097
    BMR-1754
    30% of my TDEE ( I still need to lose roughly 40lbs, so still going for 2lbs a week) I should be eating roughly 1470 calories a day.
    Im 5'6 203lbs. Ive stopped working out until I can figure out this whole calorie thing. Im a student and spend most of my time doing homework so I have the sedentary lifestyle. Do these numbers look correct? This would put me negative 600 calories and would put me at 1.2lbs a week. I feel like I should be doing more. Thanks for all the input so far, really helpful!

**Edit, if I do 30% of my TDEE I would be eating under my BMR. Soooo if I ate above my BMR at 1800 calories. I would not be seeing that much weight loss would I?
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories and started Netting at my BMR +200. I am in week #4 and just saw a slight weight loss this week of 3 pounds. However, my concern is my body fat percentage has steadily increased by about 6% week over week. Any suggestions on this?
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Why do you think what others eat is any of your buisness to stop or warn them? Who says under 1200 is unhealthy for everyone? There are studies, right now, in place using low calorie intakes, with all basic nutritions to ward off heart disease, alheimers, diabetes, and aging.

These threds are getting old pretty quick.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why do you think what others eat is any of your buisness to stop or warn them? Who says under 1200 is unhealthy for everyone? There are studies, right now, in place using low calorie intakes, with all basic nutritions to ward off heart disease, alheimers, diabetes, and aging.

These threds are getting old pretty quick.

This is a forum - people give and ask advice. If you do not like it, you do not have to read (or post!).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I increased my calories and started Netting at my BMR +200. I am in week #4 and just saw a slight weight loss this week of 3 pounds. However, my concern is my body fat percentage has steadily increased by about 6% week over week. Any suggestions on this?

Do you strength train?

If not, I would really recommend addiing strength training (low reps, heavy weights) to your routine.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    all I am going to say is what works for ONE doesn't work for EVERYONE. Worry about yourself!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    When you run a report on your net calories it would be nice to have a line for your BMR. Many calories calculators warn you to pick an interim goal so that you don't get a goal weight so you don't get one under your BMR but it has been too long for me to remember whether MFP has this suggestion/warning. Anyway I did do the same where I was eating under for more than a year and not even losing that much thinking that losing a setting of less than 2 pounds was safe. It wasn't and it didn't work for me. Really people need to spend some time personalizing the settings for themselves. I am now trying to discover my true maintenance calories. So I can set my calories at a saner deficit.