How do you avoid stiffening up after late workouts?

Options
I usually work out early in the mornings, but this week that's not an option. I'm thinking of doing my workouts at night (because my kiddos prevent me from working out while they're up) but I'm afraid of going to bed after a workout only to wake up feeling like I got hit by a bus.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Good stretching before, during and after...
  • Spence_
    Spence_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Yep. Stretching, proper hydration and protein intake. Mainly stretching :) And water...
  • debdene
    debdene Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take two ibruprofen before bed if I feel Ive done a workout that might make me feel a bit stiff in the morning or wake up in the night achy like my legs do sometimes
  • jhartram
    jhartram Posts: 165
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys! I'm sure I'll be feeling even more thankful in the morning =D
  • supermum123
    Options
    HAVE A NICE HOT BATH WITH EPSOM SALTS BEFORE BED.....AAAAHHH YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST NIGHTS SLEEP. :happy:
  • cruzanna
    cruzanna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    HAVE A NICE HOT BATH WITH EPSOM SALTS BEFORE BED.....AAAAHHH YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST NIGHTS SLEEP. :happy:

Yes! I started doing this on the advice of a new massage therapist to prevent soreness...it really works!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Good stretch and warm shower (my massage therapist has also recommended epsom salt baths)
  • daringraider
    daringraider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drink twice as much water as you think you need to so your body can filter the lactic acid while you're sleeping. You'll probably have interrupted sleep due to this, but it'll be worth it.
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options

this!
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good stretching before, during and after...

i always work out later at night after my 2 year old goes to bed. i always stretch before and after and make sure i walk around the house slower and slower until i'm not hot and sweaty anymore and my heart rate is down a bit. also i drink a glass or two of water and eat a snack.
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Drink twice as much water as you think you need to so your body can filter the lactic acid while you're sleeping. You'll probably have interrupted sleep due to this, but it'll be worth it.

True! This and stretching after your workout you'll feel great in the morning =)
  • DreasMommy
    Options
    ^ what she said. lots of stretching! I usually stretch throughout a workout or hike, and if it was particularly strenuous, I'll stretch not only right after, but an hour or so as well. Also, if I think I'm going to be stiff or sore the next day, I make sure I do some yoga before bed, and then again in the AM...
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this because like you I've had to switch my early morning w/os to late night w/os, so I read the replies with interest.

I noted Brian's "Epsom Salts" recommendation and was skeptical that Epsom salts could have any benefit because they were unlikely to pass through the skin. However I found this excellently written article on the subject:

http://saveyourself.ca/articles/reality-checks/epsom-salts.php

The jist of it is: There IS evidence that Epsom Salts are getting into the body after a bath but not that the Magnesium Sulphate Hydrate (what Epsom salts are) does anything for muscle pain. That is not to say it' been proven to be ineffective, as the article states, no studies have been done.

But, everyone loves a good soak in the bath and a late night w/o is a great excuse to get one.
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I sometimes take two ibruprofen before bed if I feel Ive done a workout that might make me feel a bit stiff in the morning or wake up in the night achy like my legs do sometimes

^^^ This works for me, I just don't make it a habit.
  • Pedrocas
    Pedrocas Posts: 22 Member
    Options

Why? Workout pains are great! It's the real prove you worked brave! I can almost hear my muscles grow trow night =)
  • RAF_Guy
    RAF_Guy Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Drink a pint of skimmed milk afterwards. Not only does it help replace fluids, but the amino acids in the milk help repair the small tissue tears that cause the stiffness over the next few days. I watched a program recently where they tested milk against all the well known hydration drinks and the group who used milk found the stiffnes cleared up to 50% quicker.
  • Nu_Mel
    Nu_Mel Posts: 48
    Options

Why? Workout pains are great! It's the real prove you worked brave! I can almost hear my muscles grow trow night =)

^^^ this. I'm living in a constant state of all over discomfort. I just do all of the above, lot's of stretching, water and protein afterwards. I've also been known to wear my Skins to bed after a particularly heave legs session.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Stretch loads, 30 seconds for each one. Eat protein, have a cold bath if you can handle it.