Weight lifting

Options
Hi gang, I'm new at the workout thing...so...

When I'm working with weights do I increase reps first, or do I increase the weight? Also, when do I make the increase (either way)?

Thanks for your help :smile:

Replies

• RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been told, if you want to tone and not build, then increase the reps.
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Set a certain amount of reps. Like 3 reps of 8 count. Start with a weight that makes it hard to finish the last rep. Once that becomes easy up the weight. Also, being a woman, it doesn't matter if you lift heavy. Women will not bulk up like men unless they have high testosterone(spl?) or take some type of steroid.

Hope this helps!!:smile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Start off with what you can manage then as it gets easier- and it will kick up the weight.

Like for example if you just knocked out 12 reps without a problem the weight isn't heavy enough kick it up another 5-10lbs.

You can do 3 sets of 8/12, you can super set, you can do high reps (doing high reps you can still lift a decent amount of weight- not 2lbs)

Don't be afraid to lift weights.
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can do either one, you will certainly not bulk up by lifting heavier weights. Women are not genetically predisposed to big muscles, we don't have enough testosterone to do that without years of training.

If you are lifting at home and don't have the weights to go heavier, you can go slower with each rep, moving slower makes the weights feel a lot heavier. Make sure you can do 10-12 reps slowly, with perfect form before going up in weight. You may have to drop back down in reps if you increase your weight, but again, work on slow, controlled movements with perfect form. Keep your core tight with all the moves, also, this will work your abs without doing crunches.

Do NOT shy away from lifting heavy, muscle burns fat. It takes energy (calories) to keep the muscles functioning, fat just sits there. You will boost your metabolism just by building muscle.

Do you have a program that you are doing?

Stephanie
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    The higher the reps you would be working on sculpting and things like strength and endurance.
    The higher the weight and the lower the reps, you would be working on size. Don't think size as bad, they won't be MANLY size anyway...
    There is alot of info on this online, although, I don't know of any sites off hand. But as for books for reference,there is
    New Rules of Lifting for Women and
    Weight Lifting for Dummies available.
    I read both when I started and I'm happy I did.:happy: :smile: :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I do 3 sets of 15 of each exercise.
    When it gets too easy, I increase the weight a bit.

:flowerforyou:
  • mrsyac2
    Options
    Also, being a woman, it doesn't matter if you lift heavy. Women will not bulk up like men unless they have high testosterone(spl?) or take some type of steroid.

Women can bulk up as well, where are you getting this info from? I know many female body builders and none of which take steroids or have high testosterone for a woman.

I am on a bodybuilding forum and those women aren't huge I also know pro competitors and neither of which are massive- They are ripped with low fat percentage now the few women that are massively big should get asked where they poke that needle whether its in their *kitten* or in between there toes.

It takes years and years for women to get huge and even still will never have massive gains like a man because we lack the amount of testosterone that men have hence women using steroids end up with square jaws, deeper voices ect...

check out this forum- www.bodybuilding.com- these women are serious there are pros and rookies but the people are serious.

Most women are afraid to hit the weights in fear of getting big- This is a huge misconception

Muscle and Fitness Hers- is aways trying to break that myth-
  • Bratsche
    Bratsche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone... much appreciated. I'm not doing any program other than the - "I'm going to lift to feel and look better" program :)
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Also, being a woman, it doesn't matter if you lift heavy. Women will not bulk up like men unless they have high testosterone(spl?) or take some type of steroid.

Women can bulk up as well, where are you getting this info from? I know many female body builders and none of which take steroids or have high testosterone for a woman.

I am on a bodybuilding forum and those women aren't huge I also know pro competitors and neither of which are massive- They are ripped with low fat percentage now the few women that are massively big should get asked where they poke that needle whether its in their *kitten* or in between there toes.

It takes years and years for women to get huge and even still will never have massive gains like a man because we lack the amount of testosterone that men have hence women using steroids end up with square jaws, deeper voices ect...

check out this forum- www.bodybuilding.com- these women are serious there are pros and rookies but the people are serious.

Most women are afraid to hit the weights in fear of getting big- This is a huge misconception

Thankyou!!:happy:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    When I am working with my trainer, he pushes to muscle failure. If I can get 20 reps in with no failure, he ups the weight. He is satisfied with 15 reps if they are good with good form and it is extremely difficult for the last 2 or 3.
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    heavier weight lifting has more of a chance of injury
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I agree you should train with a trainer before lifting too heavy.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I was thinking of you while I did my arms exercises.

I did

3 sets of 15 tricep dips

3 sets of 15 bicep curls with 10 lbs weights

3 sets of 5 pushups

That hits each muscle set of the upper body

Add in bicycle crunches, and planks and BAM upper body DONE!!

I hope you are doing well!!:flowerforyou:
  • Bratsche
    Bratsche Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, great suggestions and things for me to look at, I appreciate the support!
  • mrsyac2
    Options

Or you can start moderately and work on your form then increase- I wouldn't recommend anyone just jumping into heavy weights- Form is key in lifting weights
  • clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

• clk238
    clk238 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    obvi i don't know how to work the quote + reply function but Cheers to the quote above! Weight lifting has completely changed my body- And don't be afraid to lift heavy- even lifting high weight and low reps has not bulked me up- lean muscle and less fat are the results. Depending on the exercise, but i do 3 sets 6-12 reps. When I am "failing" at 13, I up the weight.

Question- I'm thinking of getting some lifting gloves.. sometimes when I'm lifing heavy, i find that my "grip" is the thing that goes first.. ie. when I'm deadlifting, my hands/forearms are burning way before my back/hams are... will gloves help out for this? any other suggestions?
  • arewethereyet
    Options

Or you can start moderately and work on your form then increase- I wouldn't recommend anyone just jumping into heavy weights- Form is key in lifting weights

so true. I have seen ppl at the gym with their arms flopping, not working through the entire movement and it scares me. A trainer at the gym commented in my earshot about the poor form a member was using. I reported to the manager (w/o a name) that if a trainer sees this, isnt it in the best interest of all involved if he/she say something??

Someone could get hurt or at the least be wasting their time.

I would have no issue at all if some one stopped me and said- Tricep pull down-keep your elbows IN!!

• mrsyac2
    Options

so true. I have seen ppl at the gym with their arms flopping, not working through the entire movement and it scares me. A trainer at the gym commented in my earshot about the poor form a member was using. I reported to the manager (w/o a name) that if a trainer sees this, isnt it in the best interest of all involved if he/she say something??

Someone could get hurt or at the least be wasting their time.

I would have no issue at all if some one stopped me and said- Tricep pull down-keep your elbows IN!!

You know people like to think they are doing it correct and some might take offense to a comment. Some people that go to the gym think they know everything
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Just remember, your body doesn't know how to count, so your last 2 reps should be to fatigue. If your over 15, increase the weight. Also, mix things up to trick your muscles. One set do lighter weight with more reps, go slower up 2 sec, down 4 sec, and the next set do more weight with less reps. Seeing a trainer would help you a ton. Proper form is the most important. DON"T GET HURT! Good luck. You will not build Huge muscles at your age and your intensity. Don't worry about heavy weights, the more weight , the better. More muscle burns more fat.:flowerforyou: