Ankle Stretches/Tips For Not Hurting Myself

Options
Hey! When I exercise I tend to go for the bouncy aerobic kinds, such as jogging, jump-roping, and general aerobic workout tapes. The only problem is, I have pretty weak ankles that I tend to twerk out easily. Does anyone know any tips for strengthening my ankles? Maybe some stretches or the use of a brace? A couple years ago I ended up spraining my ankle pretty badly while jump-roping, which made me unable to exercise for about a month. I'd hate for something like that to happen now when I'm starting my weight loss adventure!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Calf raises (seated and standing) with heavy weights will help to strengthen your ankles and the muscles that surround them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I sit on my knees, stretch your feet out behind you to get the front of your foot flat on the ground and then slowly shift your weight onto them.

You can turn your feet in and out to adjust the stretch
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Bump

I suffer from weak ankles, too, it is mostly when I run I feel it the next day. I do calf raises with weights. I would be interested to hear the advice!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/images/ankle-stretches.jpg

I find that very good, not exactly comfortable, but works. Had a bad ankle injury years ago.
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Try standing on one leg whenever you get the chance.......when brushing your teeth, cooking etc to improve the balance
  • sdirbder
    sdirbder Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have been successful with Leslie Sansone's walking program. It is very low impact.
  • Cartwheelsss
    Options
    toe raises might help as well [and you'll get a good calf work out at the same time ;)]
    stand with your toes on a stair. while holding on to a railing go up and down. (do a set of 20 or so)
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have cronically week ankles, and I've sprained my left ankle more times than I like to admit. From October 2010 to January of this year, I had been in a cast for a total of 13 weeks and have been recovering for most of the rest. Doing high-impact exercises often is just not good for us! I find yoga to be a great strengthener, and the elliptical is my best friend. I tried running, but it's just not available for me at the moment.