MFP adding calories after exercise?

Options
I start off with 1200 calories a day. If i have 500 calories left and then I burn 100 thru exercise, it will add that 100 to the 500 making it as if i have 600 calories of food left for the day. Anyone notice this and know why? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Because if you do that, then you are going over your 1200 a day.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I start off with 1200 calories a day. If i have 500 calories left and then I burn 100 thru exercise, it will add that 100 to the 500 making it as if i have 600 calories of food left for the day. Anyone notice this and know why? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Because if you do that, then you are going over your 1200 a day.

At the top of this forum are some stickied threads (with a stickpin) that explain how MFP works in great detail.

Read them , and they will answer this, and many more of your questions.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    No - because you are supposed to NET 1200 (or whatever you have yours set at) AFTER exercise. So, if you eat 1200 and burn 500 thru exercise, it's in essence like only eating 700 calories.

Keep in mind, though, that exercise calories are not that accurate, so you may not want to eat 100% of them back.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how it should be working....that's how MFP is structured. Try it. It works.
  • dithoma
    dithoma Posts: 31
    Options
    Im so new to this site and im not 100% sure what stickied threads (with a stickpin) are. When i first created my log in it was mainly to just check it out. I am now starting week 3 but I'm not sure If im following MFP correctly can anyone help point me in the right direction
  • dithoma
    dithoma Posts: 31
    Options
    Im so new to this site and im not 100% sure what stickied threads (with a stickpin) are. When i first created my log in it was mainly to just check it out. I am now starting week 3 but I'm not sure If im following MFP correctly can anyone help point me in the right direction
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    BUMP I need to read this later!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    you need 1200 NET calories

net = calories consumed (food) - calories buned

a way to net 1200 would be to eat 1500 calories and burn 300

food 1500 - workout 300 = 1200

MFP already has you set at a deficit, workout calories are bonuses ... weight watchers works the same way
    it really does work .. give it an honest try
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    this is taken from the help section
    --
    from the help section on this site

We set your nutritional target in Net Calories which we define as:

Calories Consumed (Food) - Calories Burned (Exercise) = Net Calories

What that means is that if you exercise, you will be able to eat more for that day. For example, if your Net Calorie goal is 2000 calories, one way to meet that goal is to eat 2,500 calories of food, but then burn 500 calories through exercise.

Think of your Net Calories like a daily budget of calories to spend. You spend them by eating, and you earn more calories to eat by exercising.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    When you are in the General Diet and Weight Loss Help forum, and you see a list of threads, there are 4 on the top, that stay on the top because they are important - like this one

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • abwebber
    abwebber Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thank you all! I get it now. They want you to have 1200 calories in your body daily AFTER exercise. :)