Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I almost ALWAYS go over my protein!

2»

Replies

• CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Good! For better results you should be eating around 1g of protein for each pound of bodyweight, anyway. More protein = GOOD.
  • Arunakae
    Arunakae Posts: 83
    How?
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    i heard that to gain muscle you are supposed to consume at least 1g of protein per each pound you weigh...
    This is true. On heavy lifting days I DRINK more protein than mfp says I should have all day lol
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    How can I change the nutrient amounts that MFP sets? I want to change the sodium and protein target, but I don't know how to do it.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    MFP has the protein levels set pretty low, with the carbs kind of high. I reset mine to 40/30/30. I think lean protein is better than carbs any day, but I'm still learning. I've seen similar posts, and most people agree that the protein is set too low on here. So my carbs are now 40%, protein 30% and fat 30% (make sure your getting the 'good' fat)

^ agree with this exactly!
  • smoffette
    smoffette Posts: 56 Member
    Excess protein is bad for your kidneys (http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/03.13/09-kidney.html) and bones (http://www.livestrong.com/article/248912-foods-that-leach-calcium/). If you don't care about those and only care about weight loss, then sure, by all means go over your protein intake and pat yourself on the back :P
  • I agree with what everyone else is posting that 'yes, MFP's protein intake allowance is way low'. In addition to building more muscle, having a higher than normal protein intake promotes a higher metabolism. I'm new to MFP, so i definitely wasn't aware that i could adjust the intake presets and will be updating them soon.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Excess protein is bad for your kidneys (http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/03.13/09-kidney.html) and bones (http://www.livestrong.com/article/248912-foods-that-leach-calcium/). If you don't care about those and only care about weight loss, then sure, by all means go over your protein intake and pat yourself on the back :P

The evidence on this is weak. I researched a ton before I added protein shake in my routine. So unless you r drinking shakes all day everyday, protein is good not bad.
  • smoffette
    http://www.daveywaveyfitness.com/nutrition/8-side-effects-of-too-much-protein/

just because they are summaries, doesn't mean the studies behind them are weak. I too have researched this. a single normal protein shake a day won't kill you, but do that in addition to eating lots of lean meat and you are setting yourself up for accumulated damage to your bones and kidneys.
  • smoffette
    Also, the diseases for less-than-adequate protein intake are not seen in Western society. it is also not necessary to emphasize protein in the diet so much, which, i presume, is why MFP does not do it.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    God Im sick of this protein question. Conventional wisdom has it fully ingrained in people's heads that going over protein is deadly!!!!!
  • crisaura
    crisaura Posts: 1
    same here :ohwell:
  • The protein here is DEFINATELY low.
  • carie1664
    carie1664 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks for all of the great anwers! Now how do I change my presets? :)
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Excess protein is only an issue if you are consistantly 30% over your daily allowance.

You can lower your protein or up your exercise and water in take. to compensate for your body needing to work harder to remove it from your body

The average person needs about .4 grams of protein per pound of body weight. So for me at 174 I need about 70g a day. MFP suggests 57... So effectively i could have nearly 90g and still be in the safe zone

Active individuals may require .6 grams.

People that exercise frequently and at a high intensity require about a gram per pound of body weight. Bodybuilders and athletes may require even more.

So if your still in a safe zone i really wouldn't stress about it too much
  • DanTTX
    DanTTX Posts: 64 Member
    How do I change it in MFP? =/

Also, what's the X/Y/Z some posters here posted just now? (Complete n00b here lol)
  • happyfrogg
    happyfrogg Posts: 86 Member
    Thank you so much for posting this-- I came to the boards to ask the same question! I'm not even a big meat eater (generally 2 of my 3 meals are meatless) and I've gone over in protein every day that I've tracked (while breaking even or just under in every other category). Craziness!
  • bolderopal
    bolderopal Posts: 18 Member
    For the person who asked about vegetarians getting more protein, don't forget about quinoa! And if you are vegetarian and not vegan, then eggs are great too!
  • Absolutely ... but rarely go over carbs (but occasionally go over sugars ... I find that confusing!)
  • the protein is low mine says 57 but i do 90 or so with 2 or 3 protein shakes plus everything else