Zig-zagging calories - tips, myth-debunking, confirmation PL

Options
ccmccoy09
ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
I've been stuck at 138-141 for about 2 months, and I'm headed to Hawaii next week (!!), so on my trainer's advise and doc's approval, I'm zig-zagging calories for the next 7 days to try to break this plateau.

I'm using this calculator: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

(My stats are this: 32 years old, female, 140 lbs, 5'4", 26% body fat)

However, I'm decreasing each day by 100 cal and starting "Monday" today.

Here's my plan:

F 1523
S 1199
S 1848
M 1523
T 1361
W 1686
Th 1523

I'm not drinking alcohol or eating sweets this week.

I still have some questions though, so I'm hoping some more experienced people can help me out. My understanding is this:

1. I'm mainly cycling up carbs on the "high" days. My protein and fat intake should stay the same (Right now I'm set at 105 g protein and 47 g fat, on a 40:30:30 ratio)
2. The calorie totals are for net calories; therefore, I should schedule my "rest" days for high-calorie days.
3. It's totally ok that the calories I eat this week total 10,663, which is about 1000 calories MORE than I normally eat per week. My TDEE is about 1630 so even though it's more than I normally eat, I should still lose weight. (I'm most nervous and unsure about this one, but I've tried cycling calories on my own was recently told 9200/week was far too little.)

Please, anyone who has done this successfully before, please help me out by confirming or clarifying the above. Also, any tips on how to eat over 1800 calories (on Sunday) and still eat clean?

My bikini and I, and everyone who has to see me in it on the beach, thank you!

Replies

• holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yay on Hawaii!!! Have a blast! I have never heard of the 'zig zag' before, but that sounds realistic, and seems like an amazing idea. I am very curious to see what people say~!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, nobody here has been able to give me any input, but based on more research, I think the calorie totals are for gross calories (e.g. no credit for "exercise calories") because the calculator takes into account my 5x a week workout in determining the caloric guidelines. So basically, I'm going to be way over this week. :) Oops. Fingers crossed I don't gain. It's been 5 days though and I FEEL thinner!

I definitely am enjoying eating more to lose more though, that part is awesome.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I wish I felt like this worked. It says for extreme fat loss stay at approx 1168 5 days out of the week, heck, im doing that now and the scale has only budged about 2 lbs in 3 months!
  • stew774
    stew774 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to hear how this works for you. I've been stuck at exactly the same spot....for about 6 mos.... I'm thinking I need to change things up :-)
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Well, nobody here has been able to give me any input, but based on more research, I think the calorie totals are for gross calories (e.g. no credit for "exercise calories") because the calculator takes into account my 5x a week workout in determining the caloric guidelines. So basically, I'm going to be way over this week. :) Oops. Fingers crossed I don't gain. It's been 5 days though and I FEEL thinner!

I definitely am enjoying eating more to lose more though, that part is awesome.

I id this two years ago, and yup they are gross calories since you set your activity level in the calculator. I did lose some weight doing this. I hope you get great results and have an awesome trip :)
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    How are you getting on? I just started this on monday - nervous, but desperate to shift this plateau. I am 140 lb too...stuck between 138 and 140 :angry:
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    My calories end up cycling accidentally - I eat based on bmr / tdee so have the same allowance every day of 1950, and the same macros of 40c / 30f / 30p .
    On exercise days my net is about 1350, rest days 1800-1950.
    It seems to be working so far, but not sure whether this is anything to do with the cals 'cycling' or not!!!

If you eat about tdee you WILL gain whether you are cycling cals or not, as you are taking in more than you are burning.
    A week at or above maintenance will generally break a plateau, but maybe a week before your holiday is not the best time to do this in case you gain!!

My advice would be to have a week off while you are on holiday, which will be higher cal and bust your plateau, then start tracking again when you get back :-)
    To get more cals in healthily, add nuts, nut butter, olive oil, avocado, etc

Edited to add:
    1630 seemed pretty low for tdee so I ran your numbers on fat2fit, maintenance cals / tdee below. With the amount you have to lose you would make a deficit from these of 250-500 cals for 0.5-1loss.
    Assuming you are lightly-moderately active I would say the cals your trainer gave you are total as they average at 1523 which would be just under a pound a week lightly active, just over mod active.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1703
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1951
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2199
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2448
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2696
  • Phoenix_Angel
    Options
    I've been using the free dieting calculator since I started dieting. Basically I just have 1 or 2 days where I eat more than normal and the other days are all different, say 1500 one day and 1200 the next. I haven't plateaued at all and in fact, the weight loss has been consistent. U do have to readjust every couple weeks to adjust to ur new weight. I've lost 17 lbs (1 lb per week) and that was my intention. I'd say it's a great plan cause u don't have to feel so guilty about going over ur calories. Just stay within your weekly goal.