Zumba HELP!!

Options
So I am white... really white and with that brings me too my question and compliant. I have tried zumba and can't do the moves for nothing even though I know it is a great workout, I just don't possess the skills for it. Does anyone know of a low skill workout like this with the same results???

Replies

• hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes you could do any work out, classes at the gym are fun and every level of fitness goes to them
  • Reni421
    Reni421 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    keep at it if you enjoy it - after a while you get the hang of it - until then, you will feel veeerrrrryyyyy uncoordinated, but I swear eventually you will get it!! I love it!
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing it? And sorry, there are all kinds in my class (of varying color) and everyone is moving, some with the instructor and some I'm really not sure who or what they are following...but they are there and they are moving. I don't think it really matters if you can nail the timing, steps etc. Keep at it and I'm sure you will improve. Maybe try some dvds at home until you have practiced up some? (Sorry, I'm assuming you are taking a class)
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love zumba - I'm in the same boat as you. I am afllicted with "gringo hips" and just can't wiggle that way. That being said I still love zumba and don't care that I look like a wounded baby buffalo clunking around :)

Just have fun. Pretend like you're at a wedding reception (w/o the booze) enjoy yourself and get your heart rate up.
  • Jewelz2c
    Jewelz2c Posts: 7
    Options
    LOL I agree with wmass1971... It is hard I am into cardio boxing and areboic stuff and I love zumba even if I do not do the steps right it is all about moving and having fun while burning fat.. stick with it and never give up on your self.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I do it with my XBox/Kinnect. I also feel like a fish flopping around. lol I enjoy it though. I feel like I'm getting a little better, but some of the moves do feel unnatural. I blame it on my weight, though. Part of me thinks that under all this extra padding, my skinny body looks awesome making those moves. I may be wrong, but I can hope! I'm sure even the people who started out doing it who seems like they should be looked and felt like us for a while. :laugh:
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    don't care that I look like a wounded baby buffalo clunking around :)

I love this!! lol :laugh:
  • AlanasMommy2011
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I guess I have the gringo hip gene also.. I will just continue to have fun with it I guess if I look like a whale out of water I am still burning calories =) Thanks glad to know im not the only onee!!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I took me a long time to get the move but once I got them Zumba got even better. Zumba also has a new class called "Zumba Gold" for beginners and older people.

P.S What is your fav. Zumba song? (I love "drop it low" :blushing:)
  • LadyRush
    LadyRush Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Keep with it and don't give up! I learned how to belly dance and I started out with the same issue! And now I perform! (not professionally of course!) I turn the wrong way, shake it the opposite way or man what did I do...but it's fun and for you! It'll come!:wink:

17103848.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • phillips529
    phillips529 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Girl...white has nothing to do with it. I'm in the same boat as you. Another MFP was doing it with great success so I thought I would give it a try. I don't have an ounce of rhythm to save my life for a black sista...shameful. But let me tell you...don't give up...it gets better. Once I figured out to loosen my lower part of my body it's all beginning to fall in place. Don't give up...it really gives a good workout....especially the abs.
  • leesee88
    leesee88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hated Zumba at first for the same reason.

I now spend the majority of the time in Zumba class hopping around in the back, trying to look as though i know what i am doing.
    i am really just trying to keep my heart rate up while watching everyone else until I can somewhat imitate the moves.

I prefer other aerobic workouts since the confusion I experience in Zumba causes me to burn less calories, but it is fun and good way to change up your workouts.
  • AlanasMommy2011
    Options
    I love party rock anthem lol
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    All that matters is that you are continuously moving your body.. it doesn't matter if you look like j-lo in a music video.. just that you keep on moving.

Practice makes perfect!
  • krystico
    krystico Posts: 104
    Options
    OMG. I'm right there with ya! I have ZERO RHYTHM - but, I took a Zumba class and I loved it! I did the moves as best as I could. Yes - I looked around and checked out everybody else's "moves" - they looked as goofy as I felt! So, my advice - Zumba your *kitten* off and have a good time!
  • snuggiesnugg
    Options
    LOL. Don't worry if you don't move like the instructor. Stand behind someone that looks like they know what their doing and try to mimick their body. That may help u a little. If you want something different try water aerobics. It is a low impact workout but you really feel it after. Keep moving and have fun!!
  • AlanasMommy2011
    Options
    @phillips lol glad to know that your in it with me!! Lol I feel so uncoordinated it is so funny to watch myself try to do it in that big mirror behind my instructor I think I am working out harder trying to keep from falling over and laughing at myself!!
  • mrsmel55
    mrsmel55 Posts: 168
    Options
    I would die of embarrasment if anyone would see me in my underwear at 6 in the morning doing Zumba with the Wii. But I do it... And I am 55 and cannot keep up (even on low intensity) except for the stretch one...I got that one ...5 stars! LOL ...But I am moving and I am sweating like with no other exercise I do. I LOVE IT....It just gets your blood pumping and I feel so good (after I catch my breath) and it makes for a great start to my day!!!
  • loftus2005
    Options
    at the gym I go to the instructor always says "ditch the workout, join the party!". You don't need to be perfect or even good! its all about having fun!! Keep at it and it will come together! :D
  • AlanasMommy2011
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your support... to the ones who have no rhythm also I wish I was in class with you guys where we could be uncoordinated together!!