Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Options
Hello,
I'm just curious if anyone has used this, or uses it on a regular basis. I have a co-worker who claims it's very healthy, but there is a lot of conflicting information online.

I'd like to try it, but I have a toddler at home and some say it's dangerous to inhale. That freaks me out, but I can't really find too many details about this stuff online to find out more.

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    i don't even know what that is but in the same paragraph you says its dangerous to inhale and harmful to todlers.. and I wanna try it..

Something is wrong here.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Are you concerned about intestinal parasites? I'm not sure why else you would want to use it.

I have a sack of it, because we use it to prevent flea infestations... sprinkle it under the furniture where the cat hangs out, and outside in the grass where fleas live.

Yeah, don't breathe it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use it in my container that holds my rice and wheat after I open the bag... pests like the easy access paper / fiber bags not the plastic / glass containers.

Great natural pest control, great for pool filtration etc... I haven't eaten any "purposely" but I'm sure i get some when I eat the rice / wheat and not worried about that portion of it.
  • londieblondie
    Options
    I've used this before to help my hair and nails grow. You are not supposed to breathe the powdery dust, but yes, you can ingest it mixed with a liquid. It totally works to help thicken your hair, and strengthen your nails.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I've only used it to kill roaches.
  • sweetly_spicy
    sweetly_spicy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Um. You use it to repel/kill bed bugs/fleas, since when they walk over it it cuts their exoskeletons. I would absolutely not eat it. Most of the "non-food-grade" stuff comes COVERED in warnings to not breathe it in, to not let your pets breathe it, etc

The "food grade" simply means that animals can eat it and not die. Some "all natural" farmers try and use it to deworm/deparasite their animals while still maintaining the "organic" label, as antibiotic use will negate that label....but you have to wonder, feeding something to your animals that will be cutting up bugs while inside them is sketchily healthy to those who then eat the animals... ug.

I don't know any farmers that think this is anywhere near as effective as antibiotics, but sometimes it's better than just letting the animal die.

Hope that helps.
  • 8kidsmom
    8kidsmom Posts: 40
    Options
    I use it in my container that holds my rice and wheat after I open the bag... pests like the easy access paper / fiber bags not the plastic / glass containers.

Great natural pest control, great for pool filtration etc... I haven't eaten any "purposely" but I'm sure i get some when I eat the rice / wheat and not worried about that portion of it.

Yes, this is right. I wouldn't eat a spoonful of it, but you can, not sure why you would unless you have parasites. It is true you get some if you store it with your food, the purpose of mixing it with your wheat and rice is to kill the eggs and bugs which may be in there.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Most people that take Food Grade DE take it for the silica it contains (along with the detox and anti-parasitic benefits). Silica can be hard to get in today's modern, processed diet. Silica is very important for collagen production. Collagen is important for healthy bones, skin, teeth, gums, vascular health, nails, hair, joints, ligaments, and calcium absorption.

Food Grade DE is NOT THE SAME AS THE DE USED IN POOL FILTERS - Pool grade DE is heat treated which causes it to change it's crystalline matrix. Do NOT EVER INGEST OR INHALE POOL GRADE DE!

Additional info on the benefits of Silica :

http://www.evolutionhealth.com/Minerals/silica-benefits.html

As with anything else, do plenty of research (and not just opinions) before deciding to ingest or supplement your body with things you are not familiar with.

Good luck.
  • jeepgrrlz
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Although it sounds like it does great things for detox and skin etc, I don't think I'll try it while I have a little one around. Something that kills other things... even naturally... doesn't really sound like it should be part of a normal healthy diet. I'll look into it another time and stick to green smoothies for now :)