How many calories...

Options
I know there are thousands of posts out there to explain how many calories a person should eat, but sadly, I'm still confused.
The Fitness Frog calculator (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) tells me that I my total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) is 2410 with me doing heavy exercise 6 days a week (Turbo Fire). That being said... to LOSE .5lbs/week, am I to consume 2160 calories a day?! That would give me a deficit of 1750cals/week.

If this is true...
Isn't it better to rely on MFP which allows you to enter ACTUAL calories burned? I have a heart rate monitor, so I know exactly how many calories I burn during each workout and I try to eat back most of my exercise calories. Either way, the MFP number is MUCH lower than 2160 cals/day. Probably why at the end of the day I have no idea how many calories I should be consuming.

I'll admit I've never been a math or logic person, so I'm hoping someone else on here is and wants to teach me in simple terms. :)

Replies

• Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
  • alcidezx3
    Options
    Hello,

This is basically all a numbers game. I would really just get your BRM which is under tools. That will tell you
    how many calories you need to survive eat day. Like you asked, it's pointless to use the fitness frog app
    you just can't add in your calories.

The way i see MFP works is basically, taking away calories from your daily BMR in a way.
    1lb is 3,500 calories. If my BMR is 2,000 calories a day and I want to loose 1lb a week, then
    I would consume 1,500 calories a day. At the end of the week that's 3,500 calories I saved.
    Now you BMR is you not doing anything so you will be burning more calories. Also like you are
    doing, you need to basically eat the calories you burn to stay healthy. You do not want to get
    sick from not eating enough.

The other day I asked myself, why am I going to the gym if I have to eat the calories I loose, but
    at the end of the day you want to loose the weight and have your body toned, not just count
    calories, loose 50lbs and end up with hight body fat and flabby skin. The type of food you eat
    is the most important thing at the end of the day.