Donating blood and exercise?

Options
slkehl
slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
I'm going to a blood drive tomorrow, and I'm not sure what's okay for exercise. I know working out afterwards that day probably isn't a good idea. What about the same day before I donate? How long should I wait afterwards?

Replies

• alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just gave on Sunday. They told me no exercise at all for 24 hours, and to skip weightlifting (arms, obviously) for another 24.
  • lmnosser
    lmnosser Posts: 43
    Options
    i would recommend skipping your workout that day.

you could do it beforehand, but you should make sure to eat a big meal before you go. in my experience, if you go in there tired or hungry, you will leave feeling pretty bad.

the last time i went they said no working out for 24 hours. they should go over all of this with you and answer any questions when you arrive though.
  • smbyrd13
    smbyrd13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I would also take a rest day or two. I wish I could give blood but tend to pass out whenever I try! Good luck!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    The recommendation is rest for 24 hours, but it really depends on the person. I have done light cardio on the same day as giving blood and then continued with cardio the day after...DO avoid weightlifting as you could rupture the punctured vein. You don't need to restrict anything the day before. And drink alot of fluid!
  • hatrammell
    Options
    Same here, I was told to wait atleast 24 hours until exercising. Even if you feel better later on that day, i would wait it out just in case, you don't wanna pass out on the track. :tongue: