How many calories to lose weight/build muscle?

Options
To lose weight, and build some muscle, should I eat 2,000 calories, or more?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, and build some muscle, should I eat 2,000 calories, or more?
    Losing weight and building muscle takes certain considerations into hand. If you're only a little overweight, have worked out before and aren't a former athlete, then building muscle while in calorie deficit isn't likely. To build muscle usually means to add weight. And if 2000 for you is a surplus, you won't lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Height, weight, body fat%, male/female, age?

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it all depends on your current BMR and TEE.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Like the others have said. First it is not really realistic to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time. You will need to decide which one you want to do first. Second your calorie needs will depend on your sex, height, weight, activity level. Once you find out how many calories you need to either loose weight or gain it you will also want to make sure you are getting enough protein and good fats.
  • ssp2006
    ssp2006 Posts: 4
    Options
    You've got to do one or the other. My current goal is dropping 20lbs and getting to 200. Once I hit my weight loss goal to 200, I'm going to turn focus to building muscle. Both goals require totally different diets.
  • builtforlife
    Options
    Okay, so I guess I'll focus on losing fat first. Then Ill build muscle. Someone else told me the same thing.