Any goal weight achievers AND anyone regained it all back?

Options
NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
I'm wondering how many people have met or exceeded their goal weight and if so, also how long you've sustained/maintained your weight loss? Any tips or advice on how you've succeeded and are sustaining/maintaining your weight?

I'm also wondering how many people have met or exceeded their goal weight and regained it all back or more--how long did that take? What could you have done differently, doing differently or have you learned in this progress in regaining all or more of the weight back?

I'm sure this topic has been discussed, but I'm also sure your replies will enlighten many of us MFPer's too.

Replies

• gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    BUMP
  • KJanae87
    KJanae87 Posts: 54
    Options
    I was an overweight child, I weighed probably 180 in the 10th grade at 5'2". I didn't neccessarily try to lose weight but I started walking and I twirled baton competitively and I started eating better bc my mother started doing WW at the time. Between 10th grade and graduation day I lost over 60lbs and graduated at 117lbs. Took 2 years.

Then I started college, maintained around 120-125 my freshman year. 125-135 my sophomore year (graduated after 2 years) then I got married and stayed between 135-145 for 2 years, then I got PG, weighed 210 at 41 weeks PG.

Lost 30lbs right away after delivery. Maintained around 180 now working on losing it all again for the second time.

Hope that helps.
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I took me 8 months to lose 42 pounds. I went from a bulging Size 12 to a Size 2. I have kept it off for 7 months. I constantly need a new goal I'm reaching for. Started New Rules of Lifting for Women at the end of January and it's a 6 month program. It keeps me focused and challenged. Eventually I'll run a half marathon, hopefully this summer, but I have an injury I'm recovering from. Always push yourself and be kind to yourself, especially when you haven't exercised or have had some bad things to eat. Perfection is boring and unattainable and life happens.
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In 1986-87, I lost 160lb - didn't reach my goal, because I got pregnant, but 160lb is substantial - right? After my son was born, I struggled with it, never losing more than about 50lb, but gaining it back and sometimes more. What's different about the losing game this time? The only thing I've ever found that has worked for me? MFP. I was on the verge of giving up.

My mistake up to this point was doing it alone. I had no support beyond encouragement from the man I was married to at the time and my naturopath who left town right after I got pregnant. I hated counting calories, only kept records of exercise and it was always a struggle. Maybe I needed the Internet, a free website with bells and whistles and a large, multi-national support group.

I no longer have any kind of fear about what to do when I reach my goal and what to do when I run into trouble in the meantime. Even if I don't actually talk to anyone about a specific problem, I always find someone on here to inspire me and bring me back from careless eating or to lighten a depression that threatens to ruin everything. This site is some kind of miracle for me.
  • lollaler
    lollaler Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    hi, yes i made it to my goal weight (lost 7-8kg) October 2011 - got married, went on honeymoon, stopped bootcamp which i did all year ate ate and ate... biggets mistake was going back to chocolate and junk food.. it slowely crept up.. well it took 4 -5months to put it all back on. i stop excersicing for about 2 months after the wedding which was a big mistake. i was happy at my weight and i kept thinking this chocolate wont hurt this icecream wont hurt and before i knew it im back to my orignal unhappy size. trying to get back into it now and its so hard trying to eat healthy and not go eat my craving of icecream or chocolate... fingers crossed... starting today. The more i know i cant have something the more i want it. :( starting bootcamp again on monday and my trainer is a good motivator... so my fingers and toes are crossed.

what about you
  • DreamersWifey
    DreamersWifey Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I lost 120 pounds then got married & pregnant & gained about 55 with my son & 25just bring happil married...so I'm back again. :)
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest fear- I am 1lb away from my goal weight, and I'm confident I can keep it off....but I plan on having kids in a few years. Am I doomed to repeat this all again??
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    For me it has been a long journey... I have never been overweight, but I grew up with the notion that I am fat (thanks, mom :-/ ). I am a bit over 5'8" and weighed between 130-140lb at 15-18 years and 140 - 150lb at 18-22 years. At around 22 a lot of things happened... through busy life and stress I lost some weight and went down to 130lb or a bit less. Stayed there for 2 or so years when the weight started creeping up. Got married at 24, got a desk job, started eating out more often, and started driving more and walking less. My weight went up to around 160 and stayed there (+/-5lb) for some years... Then I got relocated for my company, I was alone in a new country, new job, no friends, I missed my hubby terribly and so I turned to food. Within a year I was up to 198lb! I got so scared when I reached that mark that I quickly lost the weight by doing a VLCD (ouch!). I went back down to 155-160lb (did not reach my goal of 140lb though) and kept it there for a year. Then got pregnant and piled on over 60lb. My daughter is now 2-years-old and I have started my journey to get back to a healthy weight. I think my lesson learned is - stay active and don't turn to food for comfort (it brings none!) :)
  • ktardis
    ktardis Posts: 3
    Options
    I lost 50lb when I was 24.................always overweight up until then due to a surgery as a child. Size 16 when i started to get healthy..........got down to a size 6 in 10 months. It lasted 2 years, then I stayed at size 8 for another 2 years, then I went up to size 12. For me it was a lot due to the fact I have MS, and the meds they put me on................I was sick and tired, so the weight came back. But I am losing it again, and I think this site helps with keeping track of what you eat and what exercise you do..............just make sure you enter your info every day, even pre plan your meals.
  • mandihdz
    mandihdz Posts: 19
    Options
    I lost about 50lbs a few years back with diet and exercise and enjoyed it while it lasted. After about 3 months of maintaining I found out I was pregnant. Gained 75lbs during my pregnancy and have managed to lose 40 of it...still carrying the extra 35 for me to be at my last "goal".
    My biggest regret is getting "comfortable" while I was pregnant. My mindset was that I was eating for two at all times. Obviously in the process of losing the 50lbs a few yrs back, I didnt learn anything except how to lose weight. I didnt take it as a lesson in eating better as a lifestyle. I believe that set me back so far in my goal that to this day I feel helpless and overwhelmed with my weight problem.
  • StartingOver12
    Options
    I hit my goal and lost 100 pounds 9 years ago, I maintained it for 7 years and then fell off the wagon for a week, then months....I didn't gain it ALL back but pretty close..80 pounds over 2.5 years. I'm not sure there is one reason but the weekend that I "fell off the wagon" there was a situation that occurred that was very emotionally hurtful and I remember thinking to myself...what the "f" is the point?

I've started back on my journey as of 1/4/12 and am happy to say I'm down 30 pounds so far.
  • kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In 2005 I lost 19 lbs only 6 lbs from my goal and motivation was a cruise - went on the cruise came back and completely give up within a year I had gained all I lost by 2009 I had more than doubled it. I maintained the same weight since then until I started my new journey in Jan. '12 - I have now lost 20 lbs and have 21 more to go. I think the difference now is how I am viewing this as an attainable lifestyle and taking my time and learning new things about me along the way.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I reached my first goal weight of 130lbs (down from 180lbs at 5'5) after a year, and have maintained it for two years, but haven't been able to reach my ultimate goal weight of 120lbs! I sway from 125/135 depending on how bold/good I've been, but because I lost the weight the healthy way and did it slowly with baby steps, my lifestyle has completely changed so I don't even have to try to maintain, I just stay this way now because I naturally eat breakfast, drink a lot of water, walk most places and enjoy healthy foods + I eat off a small plate and use portion control as I'm used to it now and it has become a habit :)
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When I gained weight from medication, I was about 114, the lowest I'd ever been (from illness). My highest weight was about 185. I am now hovering around 104. I have been for over a year now. I did get up to 112 around New Year's, but that's the only weight gain I've had (it was a bounce-back from getting thin really quickly right before my wedding).
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds in my teens, and can pin point the moment I fell off the wagon- it was a sandwich with lots of cheese and mayo, the summer of 2003. Ugh. I just stopped paying attention after that. I fluctuated between 170 and 200 for years with mini unhealthy diets. Then I stopped caring altogether and got up to 216.6 this past February. I have had quite enough of being fat and feeling horrible. So...20 pounds down and 71 to go. This time I am putting alot more exercise into the mix. I hope that helps me reprogram myself.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    When I started here January of 2011 my original goal weight was 130. By June of 2011 I was 125. My current weight fluctates between 116 and 120 and I have been at this weight since January of 2012. I maintain it by exercising regularly and eating a healthy diet. I indulge when I want to but balance that with either extra exercise or by reducing what I eat a little the next day. I did NOT go on a diet. I changed the way I eat and move for the rest of my life! Good luck to you all!! Get healthy!
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I didn't quite get to my goal weight but I was doing FANTASTIC! I am 5'2 and I was 175 pounds. I started using MFP in April of 2011. By July 2011 I was down 25 pounds (down to 150.) My goal weight was 135. I was only 15 pounds away and I would have gotten there.

In July of 2011 my family and I went on a cruise. The first night we stayed in a hotel. My step brother and I went down to the gym in the hotel and I ran on the tredmill for 30 minutes! This was huge for me. The following day we headed over to the cruise ship and I did really well that first day. The next day I was tempted by so many amazing deserts and snacks and foods, that I completely lost all self control! I was enjoying myself and that's what I was supposed to do on a cruise anyway right? Eat?

After the cruise I was back into my old ways and slowly but surely the weight started piling on when before I knew it, I was back up to 170!!!!!! I was so upset with myself. I know 20 pounds doesnt sound like too much to some people but when you are a girl and 5'2, it doesnt feel great. I finally just this month started MFP again for round 2! We are going on another cruise in January, and I refuse to let this happen again. I have more time this time to get to my goal weight. I have 9 months. I know I can do this!

Good luck on your journey!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Options
    Thanks you guys:heart: so much for these replies!!!!!
  • bryansaums
    bryansaums Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Really appreciate your story. Good luck with all your goals.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!