ok not losing

Options
Ok, so I started a few weeks ago. I've gotten in the habit of logging, I'm exercising and being more aware of my choices, eatting habits & how many calories a few cookies really are , WOW! :-(
SO a good start of getting to know my eatting habits ....

I realize I've gotten in the habit of eatting more & thinking exercise will burn off everything & I'll still be thin. Guess being a runner doesn't make you superhuman :-)

I've been basically matching my calories taken in (eatting) with my personl base calories + exercise calories.....this has kept me at a stable weight. Now I want to lose about 10lbs.

Question is, should I keep calories taken in (eatting) at my personal base calorie number, which is about 1700???

Or do I aim for the 1200???

Thanks for feedback!!!!:smile:

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    How much do you run? Because if it is a lot it could be that 1700 isn't enough calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fast you want to loose the weight. On the day's you exercise I would not go under your base cals. 3600 cals = 1 pound so in theroy in order to loose 10 lbs you need to burn 36,000 more cals than you consume. If you go under your targets cals by 300/day it would take 36000/400 = 90 days (3 months).

Don't go too far under your target or your motabilism will slow down and you will burn less cals throughout the day. Hope this helps.
  • mstrishaf
    Options
    I've been running for about 15-16 years, sometime more competitive & sometimes less. But I've slowed down & gained weight....

But I run anywhere from 25-60 minutes average about 5-6 days a week aound 9 min. miles I'll say for average pace.

I eat more then 1700, I'm averaging about 2000-3000 a day, I've been really really honest with my journal & I'm realize where those extra 10lbs the past few years came from.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    a few points:

1)if you need to lose 10 pounds, then don't eat under your BMR (basal metabolic rate). There's a calculator for that under the tools tab.

2) relatively speaking, 10 pounds is not much to lose at all. because you're already an athlete and at a healthy weight range, you're body is going to resist your weight loss as much as possible.

3) a week is not enough time for anybody, let alone someone who is already in a healthy weight range to allow their body to readjust. you need to give yourself at least a two or three weeks for your body to realize what is going on.

4) make sure you eat your exercise calories

5) drink lots of water
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    nether IMHO. If 1700 is your maintenance number, I would just cut about 200 out, and continue to eat and exercise at the same rate you have been (just with about 200 cals less). It'll take a while to lose the 10 lbs this way, but you can be relatively sure you won't go into a reduced metabolic state (a 200 calorie deficit isn't usually enough to enter this state), which means you'll still be burning at the same rate, which also means your percentage of fat burned will go up. Also, doing higher intensity routines will help with burning fat as opposed to just consumed calories.
  • iKarma
    iKarma Posts: 6
    Options
    I think you are good with what you are doing now. I have to eat 1600 to lose weight. I didn't think it was working, but apparently in the last few weeks I've been losing weight!

Same will happen for you I'm sure. Just take your time.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be try staying closer to the 2000 most days and see what happens. You seem to get plenty of exercise with all that running so going much lower just doesn't seem right to me. You could also try switching up your routine. Your body is used to all that running, try adding some strength training or doing your running with intervals or HIIT to change things up.
  • mstrishaf
    Options
    Thanks All!!!
    Alot of good points, I'll mix up the workouts & try to stay at 2000 cals for a week or so and see how that goes.