a very special NSV for me

Options
My daughter is 10 and has Asperger syndrome. Anyone not familiar with this condition, it is an autism spectrum disorder. She does not pick up social cues and is quite blunt with her statements.She does not realize she is being rude when she points out someone is over weight etc.. I do explain these comments are quite hurtful to myself and others. She does says nice things about people as well, in the same very honest and blunt way. I am trying to teach her to focus on peoples positive attributes.
Today when I was goofing around with my husband,my daughter said " wow, Mom you've lost weight"!
I have lost 16 lbs with 92lbs to go to reach my goal.Just knowing my daughter can see the changes I've made in myself means I'm on the right track and to keep going!

Replies

• LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me tonight! My daughter is blunt as well but only because she speaks before thinking. Tonight she said she could really tell I am losing weight when we were dancing. Now I havent lost alot of lbs but I think I need to check my inches!
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 10 and has Asperger syndrome. Anyone not familiar with this condition, it is an autism spectrum disorder. She does not pick up social cues and is quite blunt with her statements.She does not realize she is being rude when she points out someone is over weight etc.. I do explain these comments are quite hurtful to myself and others. She does says nice things about people as well, in the same very honest and blunt way. I am trying to teach her to focus on peoples positive attributes.
    Today when I was goofing around with my husband,my daughter said " wow, Mom you've lost weight"!
    I have lost 16 lbs with 92lbs to go to reach my goal.Just knowing my daughter can see the changes I've made in myself means I'm on the right track and to keep going!

My 8 yr old son is borderline Asperger and I completely understand what you mean. He says things that are just so out of context some times and I try to get him to stop but he just doesn't understand what & why. Its really hard but we work on it. He hasn't really made to many comments about noticing I am getting skinnier but my 15 yr old son did and when your 15 yr old son says you are getting so skinny & you still have over 50 lbs to lose, he deserves anything he wants! lol
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Liked this post. Thanks.
  • claireyf12
    claireyf12 Posts: 106
    Options
    Thats fantastic, keep up the good work!!! :)
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    this may be turning into the Moms With Aspergers/Autistic Kids Board. My 23 yr old son has about half the traits for Asperger's but is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. He doesn't really notice some things about people - he's a thin, attractive kid who can have any kind of girlfriend he chooses and he tends to choose the big girls - no, I don't think it has anything to do with me - he just doesn't have a judgmental bone in his body and apparently did not develop that culturally groomed tendency to prefer slender women. Maybe it's because he's been drawing from an early age and likes his nude models. I dunno, but I will know that I'm losing weight when he finally says something, because it's just not something he notices. When I've dropped from 320 to less than 250, if he doesn't notice, I'm going to be hurt.
  • zippymelanie68
    Options

My 8 yr old son is borderline Asperger and I completely understand what you mean. He says things that are just so out of context some times and I try to get him to stop but he just doesn't understand what & why. Its really hard but we work on it. He hasn't really made to many comments about noticing I am getting skinnier but my 15 yr old son did and when your 15 yr old son says you are getting so skinny & you still have over 50 lbs to lose, he deserves anything he wants! lol

haha too funny ! <3
  • zippymelanie68
    Options
    this may be turning into the Moms With Aspergers/Autistic Kids Board. My 23 yr old son has about half the traits for Asperger's but is diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder. He doesn't really notice some things about people - he's a thin, attractive kid who can have any kind of girlfriend he chooses and he tends to choose the big girls - no, I don't think it has anything to do with me - he just doesn't have a judgmental bone in his body and apparently did not develop that culturally groomed tendency to prefer slender women. Maybe it's because he's been drawing from an early age and likes his nude models. I dunno, but I will know that I'm losing weight when he finally says something, because it's just not something he notices. When I've dropped from 320 to less than 250, if he doesn't notice, I'm going to be hurt.

I don't mid if it turns out to be that kind of forum, I have not told too many people about my daughter and have not met anyone else to talk to to hear their stories as well. thank you for replying :-)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    That is so wonderful! I'm very glad the little one is seeing a change in you and acknowledging it :)
  • bailamulata
    Options
    To all of you mothers with the stories about weight loss and your children ... I just want to say that you are blessed with your children... I love it that you are all proud mothers... I'm very proud of my 14yr old son.. he doesn't have this condition but I loved reading this thread because I love my son, he is my number one priority of why I want to lose weight and he is also my biggest motivator... all of your stories brought a big smile to my face... God bless you and your children ladies. :flowerforyou:
  • Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That is great - it is so good to get a response from your daughter as you know it is absolutely true - well done
  • bubbles1977z
    Options
    That's awesome. She is a beautiful young lady and getting more beautiful everyday! And so is her Mama! :flowerforyou:

My two girls mean the world to me, and that is why I am on this journey. For all of us, to live healthy and happy lives... keep up the good work! Luv Ya!

xoxoxo:heart:
  • zoeengland2000
    Options

I don't mid if it turns out to be that kind of forum, I have not told too many people about my daughter and have not met anyone else to talk to to hear their stories as well. thank you for replying :-)

I have a 12 yo boy, he recently got a diagnosis of ASD, my thoughts for years was Aspergers but apparently they only diagnose ASD now. Anyway, my son always used to tell me I was fat and call me names with fat n it.... A couple of weeks ago he said.....eh mum you are losing weight aren't you & then pointed out where I had lost that made me smile :-)

He's great for trying on clothes with as he'll always tell me if I look bad, if he says I look good he means it!

He used to juggle my bingo wings and go wobble wobble in public! I still love him no matter what :-)
  • zippymelanie68
    Options
    That's awesome. She is a beautiful young lady and getting more beautiful everyday! And so is her Mama! :flowerforyou:

My two girls mean the world to me, and that is why I am on this journey. For all of us, to live healthy and happy lives... keep up the good work! Luv Ya!

xoxoxo:heart:

Thank you Bubbles! <3:heart:
  • zippymelanie68
    Options

I have a 12 yo boy, he recently got a diagnosis of ASD, my thoughts for years was Aspergers but apparently they only diagnose ASD now. Anyway, my son always used to tell me I was fat and call me names with fat n it.... A couple of weeks ago he said.....eh mum you are losing weight aren't you & then pointed out where I had lost that made me smile :-)

He's great for trying on clothes with as he'll always tell me if I look bad, if he says I look good he means it!

He used to juggle my bingo wings and go wobble wobble in public! I still love him no matter what :-)

positive comments mean so much when you know they are coming from someone 100% truthful. You are a strong woman I would be mortified if my daughter played with my bingo arms! lol
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    This is great Mel!! Keep up your hardwork !!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!