Calorie deficit/plateau

Options
I worry that I'm hitting a plateau because I'm not consuming enough calories...but then I worry that I'll consume too many and gain. Does anyone else have this concern and if so how do you work through it?

Replies

• smith176
    smith176 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have this exact problem right now and I have no idea what to do about it. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to increase my calories or reduce them and I'm so frustrated. I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day, how many are you consuming?
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau after many months losing well at 1200 cals. Stuck with it but the scale wouldn't shift so added 100 cals weekly. The scale stayed put for a while, didn't increase I'm pleased to say, and seems to be heading slowly down now. I'm currently at 1650 calories daily.

If nothing else, at least I didn't gain and raising it slowly took the fear out a little.
  • LittleElephant
    LittleElephant Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add that I'm now eating between BMR and TDEE.
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. I've read so much on how many calories to eat and starvation mode. The more I read the more confused I get. Everyone has different opinions so I don't know what to do either. I'm thinking when I stop losing adding more calories but not too many more and see what happens.
  • TrainersRoom
    Options
    The key to achieving and maintaining a healthy weight isn't about short-term dietary changes. It's about a lifestyle that includes healthy eating, regular physical activity, and balancing the number of calories you consume with the number of calories your body uses.
  • gizziemonkey
    Options
    I have this exact problem right now and I have no idea what to do about it. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to increase my calories or reduce them and I'm so frustrated. I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day, how many are you consuming?

That is about the same that I am consuming...which is what is recommended...but my issue is that I generally burn that many at the gym. I just don't want to quit my gym routine as I like it and find it to be important
  • gizziemonkey
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input....my main issue is this:
    Every time I do my food/exercise diary...it always states that I'm not consuming enough calories and could put my body into starvation mode. While I understand this and I am concerned about this as I have fought against plateaus...I just don't understand how I could possibly consume more calories....I eat enough....I just exercise a lot. I don't want to cut my gym routine out, so any recommendations???
  • CaroSeraMince
    Options
    Every time I do my food/exercise diary...it always states that I'm not consuming enough calories and could put my body into starvation mode. While I understand this and I am concerned about this as I have fought against plateaus...I just don't understand how I could possibly consume more calories....I eat enough....I just exercise a lot. I don't want to cut my gym routine out, so any recommendations???

Eat. More. Eat nuts. Peanut butter. Fruit. String cheese. Lentils. How to "possibly eat more" is to mentally decide that you need to do the right thing and fuel your body. Start with a serving of almonds and proceed from there. You're clearly not eating enough if you're putting yourself into a net of wayyy below what you should be consuming. I recently upped my calories by /hundreds/ AND I eat my exercise calories back and after TWO MONTHS of a stagnant scale, it's finally moving in the right direction. I'm hungry every two hours on the dot since upping my calories, which means I need to reevaluate and see if I should really be eating more. It's amazing what proper fueling does.
  • gizziemonkey
    Options

Eat. More. Eat nuts. Peanut butter. Fruit. String cheese. Lentils. How to "possibly eat more" is to mentally decide that you need to do the right thing and fuel your body. Start with a serving of almonds and proceed from there. You're clearly not eating enough if you're putting yourself into a net of wayyy below what you should be consuming. I recently upped my calories by /hundreds/ AND I eat my exercise calories back and after TWO MONTHS of a stagnant scale, it's finally moving in the right direction. I'm hungry every two hours on the dot since upping my calories, which means I need to reevaluate and see if I should really be eating more. It's amazing what proper fueling does.

Thanks...I am going to try my best to consume more calories. I do love almonds...hate peanut butter....I will have to figure this out as I need more calories/nutrition added. Another issue is that I work overnights so my eating schedule is out of whack.
  • CaroSeraMince
    Options
    Good luck to you :) Once you get in the swing of things, it'll be easier. Even with a wonky schedule. I have tins of almonds all over my apartment/work/purse. Hummus is another tasty snack. I like it with baby carrots. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, there are many marvelous wonders to be had there (some things are deceptive though and are NOT healthy. Read the labels). Greek yogurt is a godsend, seriously. All that protein and calcium, too! Add some berries and honey and raw oatmeal (sounds weird, but I like the texture of it and it doesn't have all the sugar of a lot of commercial granola. That being said, I'll still eat commercial granola if it fits in my calories).