Not allowed to do exercise...what can I do?

Options
So...
I've been doing the C25k programme in preparation for a 5k at the end of July. I have also been playing Just Dance 3 and Zumba on my wii as well as doing the 30DS.

Yesterday I was diagnosed properly with hyperthyroidism and was told not to do exercise until everything is under control. I've been on beta blockers to lower my HR for the last 1 and half and now will be on beta blockers and thyroid tablets.

Am I still allowed to do weight/strength training? What about yoga? I've literally just joined a gym (its opening in May) and I'm waiting for my copy of NROLFW to arrive from Amazon so finding this out really isn't good right now...as well as paying to do the 5k in July and another in October...gahhhh!

(Sorry for the rant!)

TYIA :flowerforyou:

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

Thank you for that. I'm not seeing him again for another 8 weeks. I don't particularly want to wait that long before I do any exercise what so ever.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I would call the doctor's office and find out. I would absolutely not take the advice from anyone on here about something so important.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I would call the doctor's office and find out. I would absolutely not take the advice from anyone on here about something so important.

This.
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

This.

Thirded.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

Thank you for that. I'm not seeing him again for another 8 weeks. I don't particularly want to wait that long before I do any exercise what so ever.
    CALL THE FRIGGING DOCTOR!!!!!! How can people play with things like this? you're risking a heart attack!! CALL HIM THIS MORNING.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

This. 100% THIS.

And keep in mind.. when a doctor tells you "DO NOT DO _________", there is probably a very real, very valid reason why he's saying it. I don't think they sit in their office and think "What can I tell each of my patients to STOP doing that I know will irritate them".

If I could go back in time, I would have listened to EVERY single thing my orthopedic surgeon told me NOT to do. But. I didn't and now I pay the price for that. So. Please. Do what he asks - the consequences aren't worth it. If you eat correctly, you'll be fine.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

YUP, this is your health, talk to a professional
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

You shouldn't need an appointment for this, you should be able to phone and leave a message and someone will get back to you.
  • MollyDukes
    MollyDukes Posts: 233 Member
    Options

This. 100% THIS.

And keep in mind.. when a doctor tells you "DO NOT DO _________", there is probably a very real, very valid reason why he's saying it. I don't think they sit in their office and think "What can I tell each of my patients to STOP doing that I know will irritate them".

If I could go back in time, I would have listened to EVERY single thing my orthopedic surgeon told me NOT to do. But. I didn't and now I pay the price for that. So. Please. Do what he asks - the consequences aren't worth it. If you eat correctly, you'll be fine.

This. 100%
  • rml_16
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

Do you have a phone?

This is not something you should ask a bunch of people on a message board on the Internet.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options

I agree - and being Hyperthyroid is a very serious condition. I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum (Autoimmune hypothyroid) which is also very serious.

Also, your HR can get quite elevated when strength/weight training.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK, you could try NHS Direct. Although the call handlers arn't doctors they might be able to explain or elaborate upon your doctor's advice for you. I think their number is 0845 4647, but worth googling to be sure.

It might be that you can take up some low intensity excercise such as Tai Chi (sp?) or Yoga to keep your limbs and joints healthy, so that when you resume high intensity training you don't have that to worry about.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ask your doctor.

They are right.

You are referencing a medical diagnosis from which the doctor has instructed you not to exercise.

You can easily call the office and talk with a Triage Nurse, or ask that they send the physician a note asking what exactly you CAN do.

This website is not the appropriate site to be asking anything medical related - its a huge liability and there are no staff members of MFP who can guide you.
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    Your health and wellbeing is most important here. Like what many have said on this post...please talk to your doctor first before starting anything. Ask if there is anything you can do...yoga I think would be perfect...but again you would want to get their OK first before starting anything. I hope that you get everything under control and that you will be doing and feeling better soon. Take care! :flowerforyou:
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options

I would also suggest reading up on your condition so that you may better understand the risks associated with having a hyperthyroid condition. The fact that you're on BB tells me that you're experiencing Hyper symptoms such as increased heart rate, anxiety, heart palps. Why would you want to put MORE stress on your heart by elevating your HR during exercise?
  • pinkmander
    pinkmander Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is not the end for you!
    There is no reason why you cant keep moving, walking, swimming leisurely is absolutely fine. Think long low impact......Avoid anything that stresses your heart too much, 30% above resting HR.
    Your beta blockers are going to slow you down, most people have a spell of fatigue while their body adjusts. Be ready for this. As you have been SUPERACTIVE until recently and you appear to have a positive life outlook, a short spell of taking it easy wont interrupt your fitness schedule, and once your thyroxine levels are a within normal range you will quickly regain lost ground.
    Your doctor is obviously your first port of call. He should be happy to give you answers about something that impacts on your life. Dont hesitate to make an appt, or ask the receptionist if he can call you.explain why.
    Now that you have been diagnosed and have started treatment you can look forward to feeling alot better, physically.
    Best of luck xx
  • pinkmander
    pinkmander Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is not the end for you!
    There is no reason why you cant keep moving, walking, swimming leisurely is absolutely fine. Think long low impact......Avoid anything that stresses your heart too much, 30% above resting HR.
    Your beta blockers are going to slow you down, most people have a spell of fatigue while their body adjusts. Be ready for this. As you have been SUPERACTIVE until recently and you appear to have a positive life outlook, a short spell of taking it easy wont interrupt your fitness schedule, and once your thyroxine levels are a within normal range you will quickly regain lost ground.
    Your doctor is obviously your first port of call. He should be happy to give you answers about something that impacts on your life. Dont hesitate to make an appt, or ask the receptionist if he can call you.explain why.
    Now that you have been diagnosed and have started treatment you can look forward to feeling alot better, physically.
    Best of luck xx
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Wow.... Firstly I'm asking on a message board which is geared towards health and wellbeing. I didn't go onto a gaming forum and ask this question on there. I was maybe looking for someone with a similar position to advise what they would/do, do.

I'm not stupid. I'm not about to go and do any kind of cardio right now. I am of course taking the professor's advice that I saw yesterday and won't be doing any of that until he advices me otherwise. I'm not stupid, just frustrated. I'm not going to do anything to raise my HR

Thank you to whoever it was that advised that strength training will raise my HR, that was the kind of info I was looking for.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Wow.... Firstly I'm asking on a message board which is geared towards health and wellbeing. I didn't go onto a gaming forum and ask this question on there. I was maybe looking for someone with a similar position to advise what they would/do, do.

We're not doctors and anyone can claim anything on here. This is not a question for ANY message board.

You may not be stupid, but thinking you're going to be safe following any advice you get here is stupid. Even the smartest people in the world do stupid things. I understand the frustration, but this is a serious medical condition and this is a question for a doctor.