Sugar

Options
RoxyLDN
RoxyLDN Posts: 96 Member
How do you manage to stay within the suggested limits of sugar that MFP sets!? :sad:
I've realised that suposedly I'm always consuming too much sugar! :noway: And I don't consider myself to be a sweet tooth!
For instance today I was almost on my limit of sugar intake after breakfast (47g out of my 48g suggested max)!:

Homemade Orange, banana & mixed forest fruits smoothie, 1 serving Sugar: 27 (from the fruit)
Alpen - No Added Sugar Muesli , 40 g Sugar: 7 (from the raisins mostly)
Rice Dream - Rice Drink, With Added Calcium and Vitamin B Complex, 150 ml Sugar: 9
Raspberries - Raw, 10 raspberries Sugar: 1
White coffee (no sugar added) Sugar: 3 (from the milk)

Do you have the same issue? Are the MFP values of sugar correct? And is it much of a problem to consume a bit too much sugar daily (I'm talking about the sugar in fruit, veggies, milk, as I rarely consume things with added sugar)?

Replies

• k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i don't pay attention to my sugar. i'd say as long as most of your sugar is coming from natural sources (fruits & veggies) don't worry about going over :)
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew the answer to this, I am almost always over on my sugar intake. Even on days I don't give in to my sweet tooth. I also try to avoid processed sugar.
  • Natty0506
    Natty0506 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't differentiate between fructose and actual sugar that's bad for you. Our bodies digest sugar from fruits differently than it digests cane sugar or corn sugar.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I dont pay attention to my sugar so many fruits and veggies have natural sugars so I removed that from my diary
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't differentiate between fructose and actual sugar that's bad for you. Our bodies digest sugar from fruits differently than it digests cane sugar or corn sugar.

False. Cane and corn sugar are sucrose, fructose and glucose. Fruit sugar is sucrose, fructose, and glucose. They are exactly the same.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I really dont count the sugars from my " FRESH" fruits no cans or juices but my nutritionist did suggest that when I was looking to up my weekly weight loss that I replace my bananas and mango's with strawberry and melon lower sugars and calories
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I think MFP is insane with the low sugar target... but secretly I'm worried that maybe "sugar is sugar" even if it is from fruit, veggies, and dairy and I'm fooling myself to think that it is ok to consume so much (natural) sugar every day?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I think MFP is insane with the low sugar target... but secretly I'm worried that maybe "sugar is sugar" even if it is from fruit, veggies, and dairy and I'm fooling myself to think that it is ok to consume so much (natural) sugar every day?
    Recommended upper limit of sugar from all sources (fruit, dairy, and discretionary) is 100 grams a day.
  • RoxyLDN
    RoxyLDN Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your reassuring replies! :flowerforyou:
    OK, so basically I'll ignore it as I know I'm not really over doing it and my sugars are mostly from fruits, etc. I was just quite surprised, because MFP sets my target of sugar at 48 and I wouldn't be able to eat almost any fruit at all if I wanted to stay within the limits!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    yup. first, sugar is sugar. second, if you are eating well and in your calories, your sugar is probably ok.
  • nick3478
    nick3478 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My sugar is set at 24, that seems impossible seeing as im not eating any candy or choc only sugars from fruits etc
  • KristaTellier
    KristaTellier Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Recommended upper limit of sugar from all sources (fruit, dairy, and discretionary) is 100 grams a day.

Thanks - this is a really helpful guideline to keep in mind!
  • BilliardsBum
    Options
    Don't worry about the MFP sugar. If you are worried about sugar you need to take your blood sugar. Premium blood sugar for burning fat is between 80-100. If you are low you probably need to eat... But the fun starts when your over 100. This causes your body to dump insulin into your body in order to avoid a diabetic coma. Your body isn't completely accurate on the amount of insulin it dumps, so it can take your blood sugar level from 110 for example to 75... This misses the prime fat burning target and your now tired... Yeah, that 2:00 in the afternoon feeling from eating a big lunch and increasing your blood sugar over 100.:smile: Good luck.

Since my mother is a diabetic I watch my blood sugar. I eat 5 to 6 meals a day so I can maintain a consistent blood sugar level. Plus it gives me peace of mind that I'm not a diabetic.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    If you're eating fuit, you're going to go over your sugar "limit."

I eat at least three whole fruits a day (orange, apple, and banana) and usually add some mixed berries in there most days as well. I go over my sugar limits 9 days out of 10. Some people ignore fruits in their diaries, some people don't enter them at all, and others still enter them but do so manually, putting "0" in all the nutrient areas.

I've been putting mine in regularly and just trying to ignore the sugar overload, but I might start entering them manually with the 0's in sugar (tracking them only for calorie and potentially carb purposes). I do want to keep track of what I eat, but it's silly to think I'm eating too much fruit just because I'm going over in sugar allowance.