Feeling very tired and frequent urination..(.sorry tmi)

Options
Hi guys I have been feeling very tired these last few days, I have been trying to lower my carb intake to 100 grams per day....its that considered low carb.? Also I have noticed I go a lot to the restroom , it bothers my sleep because I have to get up about 2-3 times ....had anyone experienced this??

Replies

• 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I would get it checked out in case it is a urinary tract infection.
  • Lrt4uk
    Lrt4uk Posts: 174
    Options
    Any chance you're pregnant?
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,615 Member
    Options

This is what it sounds like to me. I would get checked out. not normal.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    This
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    depends on a few things, my job requires constant hydration I have to urinate on a constant basis but thats not a bad thing because I know how to replenish my sodium and electrolytes in my system, my view on hydration and for many other athletes is that if your urine is colorless or close to it then your hydrated and as long as your not avoiding sodium you should be ok. also drink a ratio of 1 part gatorade to 3 parts water post workouts to replenish electrolytes. as for being tired as long as your carbs are complex and provide a stable blood glucose response you should be ok on energy but several things can ruin it, high GI carbs without immediate excercise following or heavy starch foods around lunch for example would make you very tired, thats why people go to the movies and eat popcorn with butter on it and feel tired as hell afterwords that heavy starch is messing them up. other than that..not sure, also your a female and therefore there could easily be things serrounding that fact that could make me wrong but..im probably right
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    You are likely tired because you are averaging about 800-1200 calories a day, and eating a lot of take out.
    I eat between 5-75 g carbs - grain free carbs, all vegetables and some fruits and I'm rarely "tired". I do use the restroom often as I am hydrating more.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    hahahaha or I guess you could be pregnant apparently, see..women..
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    Tired due to lack of carbs and your body is relying alot more on protein - which makes you pee.
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    When I first started out and drinking more water then I ever had, I would make bathroom trips about every 30 mins sometimes less. My body was use to more soda and tea then anything, but now I have normal bathroom breaks. Take the time to think about what liquids you put in your system now, versus what you use to put in your system.

I use to live on soda and tea, now I have maybe 1 8oz cup of either with dinner on somedays
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    When I first started lower carb eating, I had the same thing happen to me. Feeling a little tired lasted for a week or so for me, and I also had increased urination. This sounds like normal stuff for low carb induction.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/440611-why-do-i-feel-so-tired-on-atkins/#ixzz1sOMLBVtc

May 12, 2011 | By Ashley Jacob

The first phase of the Atkins diet, called the induction phase, limits your carb intake to less than 20 g a day, which is very low compared to the average of 300 g a day consumed by most Americans. This very low level of carbohydrate intake is recommended during the initial phase of the Atkins program to help you start losing weight quickly and killing your carbohydrate cravings within a few days. However, switching to the induction phase of the Atkins diet can be a drastic dietary change that can cause side effects.
    Induction Flu

The side effects often experienced by Atkins dieters when first getting started with a low-carb diet are referred to as the induction flu. Just like a flu, these symptoms are usually mild and resolve by themselves within a few days. Feeling tired, fatigued and lethargic are among the most common side effects experienced during the initial phase of the Atkins diet, but other dieters may also suffer from headaches, irritability and constipation.

Carbohydrate Withdrawal

Carbohydrate withdrawal is one of the reasons why you may feel so tired when starting following an Atkins diet. More than half of the calories consumed on a standard American diet are provided by carbohydrates and cutting them out of your diet forces your body into using new metabolic pathways. Instead of relying on carbohydrates for energy, your body has to learn how to efficiently burn fat, which comes from both your diet and body stores. This process can take a few days, during which time your cells are not getting as much energy as before. This makes you feel tired.
    Dehydration

Dehydration is common in dieters when first eating the Atkins way. Restricting your carbohydrate intake results in a loss of excess water from your body, due to the naturally diuretic effect of low-carb diets. If you do not drink enough to compensate the fluid loss, you can become dehydrated; fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of dehydration. Other symptoms associated with the Atkins induction flu are also the result of dehydration.
    Alleviating the Symptoms

When starting on the Atkins diet, a bit of patience is needed to allow your body to fully adjust to it. During this period, ensure you get enough protein and fat in your diet to help smooth out the transition by supplying your body with enough energy. Staying hydrated is also important to alleviate or prevent fatigue. Aim for eight glasses of water a day. The Atkins diet also suggests supplementing your diet with either 1/2 tsp. of salt, 2 tbsp. of soy sauce or 2 cups of broth a day during the induction phase to balance your electrolytes and keep you hydrated. Consult your doctor first if you take blood pressure medications or have been told to reduce your sodium intake.
  • jb140
    jb140 Posts: 29
    Options
    I woud check to see if you're pregnant first.

If you are not pregnant... then I would ask my doctor to start checking for diabetes.
    Tired, frequent urination, being thirsty...pretty classic s/s for type 2.

We, as an american culture, have spent most of our lives eating foods that bombard our bodies with high sugars and carbs.
    Our poor little pancreas can only pump out high volumes of insulin for so many years before it finally poops out on us.

Not saying it's an absolute diagnosis...just a possibility
  • regina2063
    regina2063 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    it sounds like a uti or a form of diabetes....schedule a doctor visit today
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/565121-sleep-problems-peeing-too-much

Also, you are not eating nearly enough, no wonder your tired
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you food calorie for the day yesterday was 872. Do you think that might be the reason for being tired?
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    How frequent? If there's any pain with urination get checked for an infection. I used to get them frequently and you don't want to let it get worse.
    I've never been pregnant but definitely get checked if it's at all possible.
    I cut out all processed carbs in March and noticed that for the first week I was exhausted and cranky. I drank at least 8 glasses of water during the day and I was peeing constantly (once an hour) and getting up twice a night. I did get back to normal after my body adjusted. I don't get up more than once a night (if at all). I like to drink a cup of tea before bed so if I do get up, it's my own fault for drinking at bedtime.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    * pregnancy
    * diabetes

Please get them both checked.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you food calorie for the day yesterday was 872. Do you think that might be the reason for being tired?

True and seemed to be quite a bit of carbs, which always make me tired as well.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You're probably tired because you keep waking up to pee. And carbs make you retain more water, as most delicious things do, so it would make sense to release more if you've reduced them. But I'll go with do the pee in a cup trick for your doctor if you're concerned about it.

ETA: I didn't read responses before I posted. The general consensus is you're pregnant.
  • SewingLynx
    SewingLynx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do think going to the doctor is a GREAT idea but I think it's your diet. Regardless of 100 carbs being low or not, what it depends on is how much of a change you have made by switching to eating 100g of carbs. That's not technically low in my opinion, however, if you used to eat over 200 then it is a drastic change. Low carb diets definitely make you tired at first, as for the peeing thing that too is common with a low carb diet.

While you're at the doctor, I suggest asking to have your thyroid checked too, it's very important with dieting and it can definitely cause fatigue.
  • purpleface
    purpleface Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough & you need to see a doctor.