still see that large person in mirror :(

Options
i have people telling me im thin now and dont need to lose anymore weight yet when i see recent pics or look in the mirror i still see plenty i hate and want gone.
does anyone do this?
its driving me mad and puts a real downer on me then i cant be bothered to exercise or eat well its a rubbish cycle i seem to be in!

Replies

• ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Hey Lauriey :)

I still see the 180 lb me in the mirror all the time - and like you, I have wonderful friends who tell me how good I look. I just try to remember that i was 180, and then look at the scale to reassure myself that I'm NOT that weight anymore.

I'm so not there yet! These things take time.

Add me if you like :)
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    thanks i find it really hard not to hate my body its horrible!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I still look back and see the 220lbs me, when I'm a slender 145lbs. I think it happens to all. You look good.
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    Wrote this blog about a week ago. I believe there are a lot of us who fall in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jonnyb62
  • lnfunchess
    Options
    I have the same issue, I don't see a size 4/6 134 Lbs women in the mirror when I look at me. My friends think I am crazy and my family is frustrated with me. I alway talk about how much more weight I need to lose, how I count every calorie and execise to get smaller. No one see the fat girl in the mirroe like I see. I try and remind myself that a size 4 is not fat and tell myself I look great. I'm hoping one day it will sink in and I can enjoy my body just the way it is,
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Same boat. I'm not sure if we every see ourselves like others do. Every day I have my friends and family ask "haven't you lost enough? Have a bagel.", but I still see areas that need some defining. I know I'm thinner, but I still have the same flab as 30 pounds ago...
  • Lollypops44
    Lollypops44 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was the same when I lost 75lbs before, even though i'd dropped 5 UK dress sizes and was down to a 12, I'd still go into shops and pick up bigger sizes. your pics look great, its something that you have to get use to, especially if you've been bigger for a long time beforehand. You'll be fine. x
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Girl, this is normal. I still see the 240 pound me in the mirror. I still look down at myself and see it, and then when I go to bed I feel it. I think it's normal. There have only been a handful of times I looked in the mirror and thought "Whoa, you look GREAT! You look healthy!" A handful.. my fiance sees the weight loss (of course) and always reassures me that you CAN see a 90 pound difference in me.

Example: The other night we went to the movies to see Cabin in the Woods (highly recommend it btw- Chris Hemsworth & Jesse Williams... whooo!) and I looked down at my thighs in the seat- I thought that I looked large and gross. My fiance leaned over to me after I told him what I was thinking and said, "would you be able to fit into those size 9s at 240 pounds?"

Anyway, yeah- it's normal. But, I'm trying really hard to see the "skinnier" me :)
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    LauriesTrying2BeFit Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i am the same i know im thinner but i still have belly flab and my legs are still big IMO my family think i have a problem its driving me mad, glad im not the only one tho!
  • Jen2Bfit
    Jen2Bfit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I continously look in the mirror and see myself as "fat". I have a hard time buying clothes as well. I now fit into a size 6 and never in my life have I been that size. I still go to the 14/16 clothes automatically. I guess I was big for so long that it just doesn't register yet that I am no longer that person, and I am not as big as my head tells me I am.
  • deevo
    deevo Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Just the other day I bought a size XL shorts and when I got home, they fell off. B/c I forgot that I was now a L. I also have a hard time buying the Medium shirts in stores and often refer back to my old size because I still look at myself and see the large me. So I am with you, I know I made progress of 30 lbs loss, but 20 out of 30 days a month all I see is the 30 more I have to loose and the fact that I am still larger. I just weight myself to see that it is different and my friends really help to motivate me with their positive comments.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I'm worried if I'll ever be happy with how I look, even when I reach my ultimate goal. This past Easter, one of the in-laws complimented how small my butt is now (she said I got a "J Lo booty") but all I see is this huge tabletop I had before my journey. Even when I look at progress pictures it's still hard to believe that's how I look now. It's just something we'll have to work at mentally. Congrats to everyone on your weight loss!
  • DeadNatchan
    Options
    Totally normal and it SUCKS! It is the cruellest thing. I was 17 when I first lost a load of weight, I became very ...boney for want of a better word! I was underweight for my height and yet, I only saw a fat lump in the mirror. I wore baggy clothes to cover up my 'bulges of fat'. Looking back, I could kick myself. Left alone, I could have become very ill indeed. It is a dangerous little nugget of double us dieters face.
    Now, years later I am on the weight loss journey again but only 2 weeks ago I bought a skirt that is clearly too big for me. My brain saw it and told me that was the size I needed, "ignore the physics" it said. It is 100% psychological and that is the area you need to work on next. Your body is sorted, now it is time for your brain to get a work out. :wink:
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I see the 250lb me, and I weight 164lb now. Always aggravating.
  • amortize20
    amortize20 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    have lost over 28 lbs and 3 inches off my waist. still see a belly though if i ever see myself in the mirror.
  • frivera1012
    frivera1012 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel when I started I was 296 lbs I now weigh 219 lbs but I still see the big person in the mirror. It is very hard and confusing to keep going. My family tries to help but sometimes I don't let them in. Keep up your hard work and dedication and it will pay off because I am hoping it does the same for me.
  • Yellowlass
    Options
    It does take a while for your mind to catch up, be kind to yourself:~)
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm there with you...I started my journey almost a year ago and have lost 66lbs and still see areas that I hate, and still see something other than what others see when they look at me. You look wonderful. Guess the only advice that I can offer is don't be so hard on yourself. You have done an amazing job. I know for me, motivation to work out comes in waves. But I like to think that since I am mantaining and make the right food choices most of the time...I am doing something right. :flowerforyou: