even with weight loss do you ever ...

Options
i have lost about 40 or so pounds since my heaviest
im down to 121 i think (are scale broke haha) but i still see the girl who i was 167 pounds!
is it this hard for any of you ?

Replies

• JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh yaaaa!!!! I wont elaborate too much...but yes...for sure!

And congrats on your loss sweets! thats amazing!
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    yes, I think its pretty normal. I sometimes forget how far I have come and still see a large me. It should get better with time
  • PrettyMindy14
    PrettyMindy14 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm totally the same way! Looking in the mirror I still see me as I was, but in photo's with people I can see some change. It's also weird with clothes, I usually pick something up and automatically think it won't fit and am still surprised when it does. I'm sure it will all click eventually lol
  • wimbels
    wimbels Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't quite see myself as a 'lighter' version yet....I still see the same 40lb heavier version. But it's wierd, if I'm out shopping for clothes I still find myself reaching for the size L but if I pick up a S (what I am now) I can see that it's going to fit me wheras before it would've looked tiny. It's surreal I guess.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i have lost about 40 or so pounds since my heaviest
    im down to 121 i think (are scale broke haha) but i still see the girl who i was 167 pounds!
    is it this hard for any of you ?

Yep. There are a lot of times I still feel like am the 300-ish pound me from a year ago even though I'm nearly 50 pounds lighter and about 2 pants sizes smaller. There are plenty of days I feel incredibly confident in myself, partly natural and partly due to the improvements I've made in myself. Then there are those other days.

Remind yourself of the progress you've made. Do new things that you would never have the confidence to do, even if you have to push yourself. Whatever gets you out of the comfort zone of the old you will help you change the self image you have of who you are.
  • nicholebean
    nicholebean Posts: 160
    Options
    I have those days all the time. I have lost over 110lbs but sometimes when I look in the mirror I still see a chubby me. I mean I obviously can see a difference, over 110lbs is a lot but I don't see myself the way others do. It is all part of retraining our brain I guess. Someday I will see the new me completely, until then I just take it day by day. It helps when I look at my before and after pictures. Then I realize how far I really have come.
  • DanielleRN8
    DanielleRN8 Posts: 409
    Options
    I know what you mean. I dislike the way I feel more now than when I weighed 188 pounds! I just think it's because people tell me that I'm "so skinny" but I can look in the mirror and still see some flab so it makes me feel like a fraud and that I need to lose more. Does that make any sense?
  • jrev86
    jrev86 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It makes total sense! I have lost about 50 lbs since Aug 2010, but feel like the end is no where in sight. I hit about where I am last year gained about 10 back and then lost it again. I'm a size 4-6, but sometimes feel like a size 14 still. I see my problems areas more than others. I have been hitting the weights more and getting more toned though. I may weigh about the same as I did a year ago, but my weight has shifted proportionally due to strength training. I have to remind myself that I have changed a lot in the past 2 years even though I still see the same girl. I act the same, talk the same, but I don't look the same when I go through old photos. Just take it day by day and hopefully we'll see what everyone else is seeing...the amazing outside that matches the inside.
  • mauibound2
    mauibound2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes...it is soo weird to go to a clothing store and not grab xxl or xl it is such a habit because I have been heavy for so long. I am glad to know that I am not the only one who feels like this. I recently bought a tankini and my husband hates it so I took him with me and tried on something he liked but I still didn't buy it I do not feel like I look ok enough to get something that I wouldn't normally get so as I continue to lose I am a work in progress
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My brain is nowhere near catching up with my body; and my loss has been pretty gradual.

I've lost 77lb (5.5 stone) over 18 months, and I still find myself reaching for the wrong size clothes, or sadly sometimes still feeling like 'that fat girl'. Every now and then I'll catch sight of myself in the mirror and honestly have to check it's me. That sounds melodramatic, I don't meant it to, but it's the case.

I really hope that this will end in time - who knows, it may take the 18 months that it's taken for me to lose the weight. I want to be able to fully celebrate my body with no doubt or self-consciousness, and that desire was part of my motivation to join MFP.

Let's all hope that we'll get there, one day...who said the hard work ends with the loss?!

x
  • xrockinrobyn
    xrockinrobyn Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I dropped 40lbs and maintained it for year and still feel the same. I'll look at a girl and think "Oh she's got a nice figure" and forget that actually, I look like that too now. I didn't drop loads of weight so it wasn't quite so significant but I hate feeling the same way I did. I have occasional days when I look in the mirror and smile at what I've achieved and how I look, but most of the time I look in the mirror and see what more can be done. Just the other day I looked at myself in the mirror, felt repulsed and started crying! I'm not sure I'll ever be happy, and even if I become happy about my weight I know I'll find something else to be unhappy about.
  • beccah88
    beccah88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I think it's hard because you see yourself everyday(obviously) so you don't see such a drastic change as people would if they haven't seen you for a while. So I think sometimes that's why I find myself thinking, have I actually changed that much? Even though the scale and the way clothes fit say that there has been a change.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!