Totally Frustrated!!

Options
So... I started off at 223 lbs three months ago and since then I have lost 18 lbs but since I am on crutches I haven't been able to weigh myself since. Well today was checkin day for the biggest loser contest at my work and I got weighed and I stayed the same!! I'm so frustrated and disappointed because I've been getting a good work out on my crutches and burning lots of calories...and its now harder to get food so my portions shrank but I didn't loose a pound. And here I was looking forward to seeing at least a 2-4 lbs drop. I still have 18 lbs to go to reach my goal for the end of October and I really want to try on wedding dresses then to for my wedding in Scotland in May. (Also I will be moving to Salt Lake City with my fiance and want to doing a little strutting in front of his physco ex girlfriend, pathetic I know) I'm really disheartened now. Whats even more frustrating is that all my clothes are super loose now and my double chin is gone and everyone says it looks like i lost more....but the scale doesn't show that and I think it just cost me the contest!! I could have used that $1000 damn it!! :explode: I need some encouragement.

Replies

• meanness67
    meanness67 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this since January 2nd and have only lost 1/2 of the weight I want to lose; however, even weeks I don't see movement on the scale, I see movement in the tape measure! Go by how the clothes fit, not the scale!

Don't give up; you are doing great! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • 21alpine
    21alpine Posts: 41
    Options
    It sounds like where you have been using crutches, you are building up your muscles, which weighs more than fat does. So don't get discouraged. You probably have lost some fat weight, but gained muscle weight.

Janet
  • jeterbeater
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat...a pound is a pound no matter what it made of.

You may have just had an off week, it could be water weight, is it close to the time of month? Don't be too hard on yourself just keep trying and you will get the results you are looking for.
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Aw! You poor thing! You know the scale isn't always what you should go by. If you lost your "double chin", your clothes are looser and people are telling you that you look good then trust them and trust yourself! You should go by the inches you lost not the weight. Muscle weighs more than fat as well. If you are at a stand still right now then that is ok, you still have a little bit longer till Oct, and trust me you will look great strutting in front of your finaces ex! :happy:
  • skaal006
    skaal006 Posts: 16
    Options
    It's true that a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same but muscle takes up less space. Therefore, if you have gained more muscle you might weigh more. I get frustrated with the scale too because I weigh just as much as one of my friends, yet I look about fifteen pounds lighter than her because I do work out and have a lot more muscle than her. I would just go by how you look and feel about yourself instead of the scale. If other people are noticing your progress you know you're doing something right!!
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    WELL I STAND CORRECTED ON THE WHOLE MUSLCE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT, sorry about that! They are the same weight but one does take up more volume than the other. I actually found this information below for you its from http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/muscle-to-fat.html! Hope it helps!

"Fat is bulky and lumpy so if you carry an extra five pounds of fat, you'll be lumpier than with five pounds more muscle. A five pound pile of fat will take up more space (volume) than a five pound pile of muscle; but five pounds is still five pounds, so for those of you that don't "get" English, you cannot say one thing weighing a certain weight weighs more than another thing at that same weight. It's a common joke to play on an 8-year old. The correct way to state the muscle weighs more than fat scenario is, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is more dense than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller.

Stop being so obsessed with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle? Simply seeing how much you weigh isn't very helpful."