Protein shakes/drinks

Options
Good morning everyone. I'm trying to consume approximately 30g of protein upon waking in the morning. I'm not a breakfast eater (don't like eggs and don't want to eat 1-1/2 cups of cottage cheese) so I've turned to protein shakes. They taste horrible! Does anyone have any shake or powder that they currently use that doesn't have a horrible aftertaste?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I'm trying to consume approximately 30g of protein upon waking in the morning. I'm not a breakfast eater (don't like eggs and don't want to eat 1-1/2 cups of cottage cheese) so I've turned to protein shakes. They taste horrible! Does anyone have any shake or powder that they currently use that doesn't have a horrible aftertaste?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Any reason why you couldnt have a real protein-related breakfast perhaps with steak tips, beef, turkey, chicken?

This morning I cooked up some marinated steak tips with roasted vegetables and sprinkled a little queso on top and punched it with some habanero sauce... had me a good 64g protein fix with Top Eye Round Beef...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i use pro-complex vanilla flavored protein powder. i do two scoops, with 8-10 ounces of orange juice, a 1/2-3/4 cups of frozen berries (usually strawberries) and a 1/4-1/2 cup of fat free plain yogurt.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a breakfast eater, then just save those calories for later. Problem solved.
  • kimmie790
    kimmie790 Posts: 26
    Options
    I use a website called myprotein.com and I have the raspberry, vanilla and choc nut. However I use soya milk with mine which makes it taste different.
  • anraq13
    anraq13 Posts: 16
    Options
    As for make it yourself shakes....I like the Jay Robb shakes, Designer Whey Protein chocolate, and Aria Woman's Whey chocolate shake. If you are looking for a pre made shake to drink from a bottle, the best ones I have had are the EAS Myoplex drinks.. Those are great!!!! I saw online that Myoplex was rated the best protein shake made. I think I agree.
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    I use promasil.. its kinda pricey but it comes in vanilla and chocolate and they're both delish :)
  • jgerbe2
    jgerbe2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I use the new EAS 100% Whey vanilla with cinnamon, frozen wild blueberries, and 1% milk. It ends up being just over 30g protein.
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I use Precision Engineered Hardcore Series Gainer in Vanilla flavour. Although a gainer isn't suitable for everyone's needs the flavouring is probably the same accross their product range. This one tastes just like normal vanilla milkshake, worth looking up 'Precision Engineered'.
  • sally125
    sally125 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I agree most don't taste good on their own. Mixed with you favourite frozen fruit maybe a splash of vanilla. With the shake and the fruit is surprisingly filling for a liquid meal.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a breakfast eater, then just save those calories for later. Problem solved.

if you skip breakfast you crash your metabolism for the whole day, just sayin
  • CS1012
    CS1012 Posts: 4
    Options
    I like Vega - it's a vegan protein powder and it's wonderful. 1 scoop has 120 calories and 15 g of protein so you could do 2 scoops. I mix it with either ice water or a cup of flax milk. If you add half a frozen banana it makes it creamy. I also like adding a tablespoon of peanut butter and a half or full cup of blueberries if I want more calories. I have tried all the flavors and found Vega's berry flavor is best. I'm on my fourth of fifth tub of it. It is pricey but worth it - great ingredients, vitamins, minerals, fiber, etc.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

if you skip breakfast you crash your metabolism for the whole day, just sayin
    False, that's a myth that was debunked years ago. Your metabolism won't crash unless you skip all food for 3-4 consecutive days. Skipping breakfast and eating those breakfast calories later will actually boost your metabolism. Do some research into intermittent fasting.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I like EAS Myoplex shakes. The Chocolate Fudge tastes close to a old shcool fountain shake. And with 40g of protein per shake, it helps keep those numbers up.

And I agree with not skipping breakfast. You need something in the morning to get your body going. A simple shake could be enough for you (I usually start the day with a veggie omlett).
  • teripen
    teripen Posts: 15
    Options
    I use Intek advanced body solutions Evolution vanilla flavor. It comes in a huge green container. To make the best shake ever use 1/4 cup of powder, 8oz of FF milk, 1 Tbl cocoa powder (the kind you bake with) and a banana. It is SO good. Also Visalus tastes really good but it is more expensive.
  • 19foxy71
    19foxy71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I recently used the SLIMMM SHAKES & SOUPS. I found all those to be really nice tasting with no after taste :smile:
  • iceicebaby1012
    Options
    I drink the Designer Whey protein shake. I get it at the Vitamin Shoppe. Right now I have chocolate. You can use in water or milk. It does taste better with milk so thats what I mix it in first thing in the morning.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I was looking for the same thing, I found:
    Premier Nutrition Protein shake 11oz ready to drink shake

30g protein
    160 calories
    30 calories from fat
    2 net carbohydrates (5g,- dietary fiber 3g)
    total fat 3g
  • vtaylo
    vtaylo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels Whey protein. I've had both the chocolate and vanilla and prefer the chocolate, but I drink one almost everyday. I also like the EAS carb advantage shakes, they're incredibly yummy and leave little after taste.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hubs is onboard with you...hates protein shake aftertaste.

We recently found protein shots at Walmart. He tried watermelon and fruit punch. Tasted like Jolly Ranchers candy, he said.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hubs is onboard with you...hates protein shake aftertaste.

We recently found protein shots at Walmart. He tried watermelon and fruit punch. Tasted like Jolly Ranchers candy, he said.
    I'm glad to hear that, i was looking at those just yesterday. I think I'll give those a try.