1200 Calories feels very low...

Options
I am new to this board.

For my goal, I am to consume 1200 calories per day, with exericse, more like 1600.

I don't have much weight to lose, but feel that most of my allowance is gone by midday! I am being very careful, but I also feel depleted.

Any thoughts? Is 1200 the average caloric intake for weight loss? Anybody else down to 1200? I will say that upon reflection, my food intake was probably more like 1700 a day prior to this site..not too far off.

Thanks!

Replies

• carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I only have 17 more lbs to lose. I have a sit down job for 8-9 hours a day, MFP puts me at 1200 a week. I am 5'9". May I ask what are you eating to get to 1200 calories by midday??
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I'm curious,too, about what you're eating. If you make your calories nutrition dense, lots of nutrition for the fewest calories and eat real, clean food rather than processed food, you can eat an awful lot and still stay within the 1200 calorie range.

Start by taking a good look at your food diary and see what you're eating that is full of calories without enough nutrition and make some changes.
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support.

Okay, please don't wince, but I am 5'9 and presently weigh 136. I would like to get down to 130.

I start off my day with a shake, concocted by my doctor: Almond Milk, fiber powder, Estrium, etc. It usually comes to 280 calories.

Then, lunch. Sometimes I will have a couple of hardboiled eggs, and a salad (no dressing) (let's say 300 calories

I may throw in a skim cappuccino (60 cals). Maybe a couple of bananas throughout the day.

I might then have a protein bar - 280-300 calories.

That is an example of my day....usually, by the time I get home, I have about 300 calories left.

I too have a sedentary job. However, I love to run, and when I do exercise/run, the profile calculates that I have approximately 1600 calories to consume when I do exercise...but of course, that makes me even hungrier.

Traditionally, I am a careful eater. I never drink alcohol, sodas or fast food. I stumbled upon this site, just to trim a few pounds, and I am astounded (as we all are!) over what is in food. 1200 just seems so low!
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to MFP! I love it here. I've been losing weight slowly, but surely. 1200 calories might take time to get use to. Also, what are you eating? You'll find you change from high calorie foods that don't fill you up to healthier choices. At least, that's happened for me. I also get incentive to exercise to increase my calorie intake for the day. Yesterday, I only ate 1150 calories and wasn't hungry. But, I've stopped eating potato chips for a snack and instead, grab a banana or other fruit/veg.

I try to log food before I eat it. Before I even make it or go buy stuff. When I see how many calories/salt/carbs/fats that meal/item has, I change my mind.
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have 6lbs to go and I am 5'3. I am at 1200 calories....
    I eat about 130-180 for breakfast (oatmeal or english muffin with peanut butter)
    lunch about 400 (ww meal with granola bar or turkey sandwich with light lays chips)
    Dinner about 620-650 calories (4oz protien/veg/1/2 cup of rice or potatoe)

And I drink a ton of water through out the day (this does help!)

I then burn on average 220-250 calories a day from working out...then I can have some snack items throught out the day (ususally 60-100 calorie ones) grapes, jello suguar free puddding, apple, 1/2 granola bar and I eat these inbetween (so that I have something every 3 hours) to keep me satisfied...

Hope this helps
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'2 and i'm at 1200. I eat around 200-300 calories every 3 hours and I have a hard time reaching 1200 unless i go out to eat. if you eat small nutritious meals more often you don't feel hungry or depleted. make small switches like using fat free cheese instead of regular, nonfat milk, whole grain low calorie breads, lean meat and lots of veggies.
  • leighoconnell
    Options
    I am new to this board.

For my goal, I am to consume 1200 calories per day, with exericse, more like 1600.

I don't have much weight to lose, but feel that most of my allowance is gone by midday! I am being very careful, but I also feel depleted.

Any thoughts? Is 1200 the average caloric intake for weight loss? Anybody else down to 1200? I will say that upon reflection, my food intake was probably more like 1700 a day prior to this site..not too far off.

Thanks!

I can only have 1200 calories a day too and because I have a blood clot in my leg and several in my lungs I can't work out right now (plus im on crutches) and that seemed like a low amount to me at first too but after about a week its really not that low and I have a hard time keeping from going under that. What I do is plan out my week in advance that way my calories are spread throughout the day and I know what I can and can not eat. Once you make that plan stick to it!! No cheating. You'll probably be really hungry at first but after a couple of days you get used to it. My best advice to keep the calories low and help spread them out its to make all your food. In other words when you go grocery shopping stick to the outer isles so fresh stuff. Dont buy anything canned or processed!!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I agree that logging your food really makes you pay attention to the nutrional value vs. caloric content of foods. Another thing you should do is go under the tools tab and calculate your BMR--use that as a baseline for how many calories you're eating. Read the threads posted at the top of the general weight loss forum for a lot of information on how to determine how much to eat. Last of all, welcome to the site! It's a journey so be patient--you're on the right track!
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    It seems as if the 300 calories, four times a day, is the charm.

I just get so bored of food! I know, sounds crazy. Au Bon Pan, has created small portioned meals with caloric information, which I think is terrific. I was able to gauge what I was eating yesterday.

I went with cousins last weekend on a 24 hour girls' night. I didn't touch any alcohol! That will quickly throw you over the top!
  • jigs
    jigs Posts: 70
    Options
    Well, you're already eating healthier than me. :flowerforyou:

I've cut out Quizno's, but still have my occasional small fry.
  • skaal006
    skaal006 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am at 1200 calories and I don't have much weight to lose either. It does seem low, but it is possible. I found that eating salads with a lean protein like chicken really fill you up and they are low in calories. I make a protein smoothie after most of my intense workouts and that keeps me full for a good four hours and is around 260 calories, which I count as a meal. I add just one scoop of whey vanilla protein powder to the smoothie and it helps keep me satisfied for quite a while!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    maybe I missed it, what is your maintenance calories? And what did you set your goal too? It should probably be set to no more than 1/2 lb per week if you only have 10 lbs to lose.
  • carrieberrie
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support.

Okay, please don't wince, but I am 5'9 and presently weigh 136. I would like to get down to 130.

I start off my day with a shake, concocted by my doctor: Almond Milk, fiber powder, Estrium, etc. It usually comes to 280 calories.

Then, lunch. Sometimes I will have a couple of hardboiled eggs, and a salad (no dressing) (let's say 300 calories

I may throw in a skim cappuccino (60 cals). Maybe a couple of bananas throughout the day.

I might then have a protein bar - 280-300 calories.

That is an example of my day....usually, by the time I get home, I have about 300 calories left.

I too have a sedentary job. However, I love to run, and when I do exercise/run, the profile calculates that I have approximately 1600 calories to consume when I do exercise...but of course, that makes me even hungrier.

Traditionally, I am a careful eater. I never drink alcohol, sodas or fast food. I stumbled upon this site, just to trim a few pounds, and I am astounded (as we all are!) over what is in food. 1200 just seems so low!

YOU ARE SO THIN! You dont need to lose any weight! I am 5'9" and weigh 167, want to get 150. I was 135 about 6 years back and my family was ready to admit me to the hospital because they thought I was sick!
    For your height you are fine. Of course its going to take you the lowest calories possible to drop weight. But if you are determined I would say get rid of the cappuccino and the protein bar. Find a protein bar that has lower calories such as South Beach Bars they are very high in protein and only 140 calories.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I agree, you are a very healthy weight for your height and age. I am at 1210 calories a day and am not starving! perhaps your food choices are too high calorie low nutrition!
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    Yes, I know...you are correct about my height/weight.

So many issues over the years...

I am turning 50 in November, and had a total hysterectomy 2 years ago (family history of ovarian cancer!). I am on bioidentical hormones, feel great, and don't want to "blow." I had so many warn me that after their surgeries, they were doomed to gain weight.
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    maybe I missed it, what is your maintenance calories? And what did you set your goal too? It should probably be set to no more than 1/2 lb per week if you only have 10 lbs to lose.

1200 to eat, when not exercising: 1560 to eat, when exercising.
  • carrieberrie
    Options

I am turning 50 in November, and had a total hysterectomy 2 years ago (family history of ovarian cancer!). I am on bioidentical hormones, feel great, and don't want to "blow." I had so many warn me that after their surgeries, they were doomed to gain weight.

You can gain 15 lbs and still look great! But I know exactley how you feel. I would say you are PERFECT right now. Just watch your sugar intake especially. I think if you just ate right and exercised like you are doing you have nothing to worry about! Just make better choices, choose the foods with lower calories and fats. I would defnly go with the South Beach High Protein bars, they have 10 grams of protein and only 140 calories. Maybe instead of the whole egg in your salad just put the egg whites.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

1200 to eat, when not exercising: 1560 to eat, when exercising.

that's not your maintenance calories. What is it if you just wanted to maintain your weight and not lose?
  • jovigal1959
    Options

You can gain 15 lbs and still look great! But I know exactley how you feel. I would say you are PERFECT right now. Just watch your sugar intake especially. I think if you just ate right and exercised like you are doing you have nothing to worry about! Just make better choices, choose the foods with lower calories and fats. I would defnly go with the South Beach High Protein bars, they have 10 grams of protein and only 140 calories. Maybe instead of the whole egg in your salad just put the egg whites.

The Protein Bar I eat is called "Pure Protein."

It is so weird. I have run 6 marathons, and even then you have to watch caloric intake. The body is amazing: It adapts to EVERYTHING.
  • jovigal1959
    Options
    Maintenance calories would be 1600, sedentary.