Protein shakes/drinks

Options

Replies

• AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Good protein powder doesn't taste bad, so if you think protein powder tastes bad then don't buy a ****ty brand. Problem solved.

Also, you don't need protein in the morning and you don't need breakfast. The fact that people here are indulging you with this is just silly. I have only ate food in the morning (I eat breakfast everyday since I break my fast with what I eat) three times since I've lost almost 60lbs.

So, if you want to eat something then eat something you like. If you need more protein then eat more protein-dense foods or take a good protein powder. If you feel like eating at 3PM then do it.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Lean Body! I am totally hooked on their Soft Chocolate Ice Cream meal replacement powder. I order it from Amazon.com. Each serving has 35 grams of protein. It mixes well with water, though I like to blend mine with Silk Light Vanilla Soy Milk and a handful of ice cubes. Adding a banana, some berries, or a heaping spoonful of peanut butter makes it extra indulgent as well. I actually have an easier time getting up for work in the morning because I look forward to this shake. :)
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Atkins Advantage chocolate shake with unsweetned soya milk is yummy.
  • annabanana1786
    annabanana1786 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize Nutrition ISO-100 in chocolate. I mix it with just water and I like it a lot!

Per scoop:

Calories: 106
    Fat: 0
    Carbs: 1g
    Sugars: 0
    Protein: 24g
  • silkandsugar
    Options
    I have a cookies n creme whey blend every morning. It's DELICIOUS. I look forward to drinking it haha.
  • deedee0152
    deedee0152 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian michaels chocolate protein shake and use unsweetened almond milk (35 cal in a cup) as the base. Add some fruit and crushed ice and it is really tasty.
  • lynntom
    lynntom Posts: 1
    Options
    You could try Lean Dessert protein powder one scoop is 20 grams of protein and the flavors are yummy. Chocolate fudge, vanilla bean and more. I make smoothies with the chocolate and some frozen fruit and water or coffee if I want a mocha flavor. You can get it at Vitamin shop and maybe GNC. Enjoy
  • vsay215
    vsay215 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I use vita cost whey isolate low carb low sugar low fat. I order it from vita cost.com 3 scoops gives u 50 grams of protein. I only do 1 scoop to save calories.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a breakfast eater, then just save those calories for later. Problem solved.

if you skip breakfast you crash your metabolism for the whole day, just sayin
    False, that's a myth that was debunked years ago. Your metabolism won't crash unless you skip all food for 3-4 consecutive days. Skipping breakfast and eating those breakfast calories later will actually boost your metabolism. Do some research into intermittent fasting.

hmm well then I suppose Jim Stoppani Ph.d and senior editor of muscle and fitness is wrong and so is every other elite athlete I work with
    Besides, even if it does work to fast intentionally or miss a meal to create a deficit in calories it wouldnt aid in any kind of athletic way, if someone skips meals and fasts I would seriously doubt they have much athletic ability but if theres a study done showing people fasting and outlifting and out running people with a steady regimented diet then hey go for it
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Appeal to authority is irrelevant.

Meal frequency and timing is irrelevant, total caloric consumption its what matters.
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    hmm well then I suppose Jim Stoppani Ph.d

You don't know how unreliable he is, do you? He's most known for his study done with Scivatiion on Xtend and its efficacy. Apparently it was suppose to get published but guess what? No dice. He has an agenda, so his advice is sketchy at best. More intelligent, less-agenda driven individuals have disproven most of his nonsense.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Muscle & Fitness magazine is just a vehicle to sell supplements. Any "science" therein will be only the science that agrees with and speaks toward the supplements being advertised.
  • kval323
    kval323 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    GNC total Lean is very good. No bad after taste. The strawberry kinda of has a medicine taste to it, but the vanilla and chocolate are really good as is.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    If you aren't a breakfast eater, then just save those calories for later. Problem solved.

if you skip breakfast you crash your metabolism for the whole day, just sayin
    False, that's a myth that was debunked years ago. Your metabolism won't crash unless you skip all food for 3-4 consecutive days. Skipping breakfast and eating those breakfast calories later will actually boost your metabolism. Do some research into intermittent fasting.

I remember hearing about some study about kids and test scores being higher with those kids who ate breakfast compared to the ones that did not have breakfast on the news long ago. It was a nutrition bit they did. Breakfast might be a good idea there if that study still holds true.
  • ink1402
    ink1402 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't every skip breakfast, usually have a small bowl of porridge with milk and a banana, but I have used and so has my partner, Herbalife protein shakes, he likes the chocolate and I loved the vanilla, we both used soya milk for extra protein and no fat, he lost loads (probably a bit too much as he was on a 2 shakes a day diet, he's a road cyclist) but unless you keep to a very strict regime, the weight just piles back on....well it did for him, I still have a shake once a day just to keep me ticking over, still love it too, add a banana for extra zinc or any fruit you like and I would recommend soya milk, an acquired taste but you can get different varieties now. good luck anyway
  • AeolianHarp
    Options
    I remember hearing about some study about kids and test scores being higher with those kids who ate breakfast compared to the ones that did not have breakfast on the news long ago. It was a nutrition bit they did. Breakfast might be a good idea there if that study still holds true.

Kids are different than adults.

Also, that's merely a correlative example. We have no idea if breakfast truly caused better score increases. There could be other potential variables, which is why studies established correlations are the grounds for more specific studies. This means we should look at studies that specifically examine the benefits of breakfast and if there are truly any benefits.

In adults, breakfast in the morning is overrated. After a while of skipping it, you'll easily function and hormones will begin to normalize at your new schedule.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

In adults, breakfast in the morning is overrated. After a while of skipping it, you'll easily function and hormones will begin to normalize at your new schedule.

^ Agreed.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Kids are different than adults.

Also, that's merely a correlative example. We have no idea if breakfast truly caused better score increases. There could be other potential variables, which is why studies established correlations are the grounds for more specific studies. This means we should look at studies that specifically examine the benefits of breakfast and if there are truly any benefits.

. What is the age of some one who should be skipping breakfast meals be from a kid to an adult? Anyone know ?
    A study published in 1998 in the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine showed significantly higher math test scores after children ate breakfast. This and other research has clearly shown that children who consistently eat breakfast test higher in most academic areas. They are more alert and more prepared to endure the testing process.

Well when ever you all want eat is your bit. I eat my breakfast every morning since I wake up in the mornings. I guess even nighshift workers can still call breakfast when ever they get up. Reguardless of who thinks what, breakfast is not over rated for me as I intake many calories all through out the day and I need that constant food energy and also because I am always recovering from work outs.
  • tigersword
    Options
    You could eat 5000 calories in one meal, and it would have the same impact as eating 5 1000 calorie meals. With the addition of the one meal being easier on hormones, as leptin, ghrelin, and insulin are all better adapted to fasting and fed periods, rather than constant fed states.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    You could eat 5000 calories in one meal, and it would have the same impact as eating 5 1000 calorie meals. With the addition of the one meal being easier on hormones, as leptin, ghrelin, and insulin are all better adapted to fasting and fed periods, rather than constant fed states.

Just want to say I always enjoy your posts tigersworld they are almost always spot on and you explain it simply.
    Its very very very very hard to eat 5000cals all at once for me so this is a no go here and unrealistic lol.
    Also I need constant protein so eating 5000cals all at once would not be the best way there. I wouldnt think digestion time would provide the same benefits or "impact" as constant protein muscle saturation, while eating fast digesting and slow digesting proteins all through out the day as a body builder or any one who does strength training for lean mass.