Question...

Options
For those who had more than 30 lbs to lose (or if you had less and this applied to you): Did any of y'all lose a bunch of weight in the first week? Did it slow down after that? I am eating a 1200 calorie diet though according to my weight, height, age etc.... I should be eating a 1800 calorie diet. I am simply full after 1200 calories. I am below on my daily fat gram intake as well, but high on my protein.. I can't seem to lower that number yet! But I have lost 4 lbs since Tuesday. And I am definitely NOT doing anything drastic... Is this normal?!

Replies

• MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It could have been water weight you lost. I did not see anything on your sodium but if you are watching that as well then yes it is possible.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yes, you almost always lose a lot of weight in the first week. But if you are supposed to be eating closer to 1800, then you need to start doing it. Your body won't burn efficiently on too few calores. I started out eating only 1200. I'm 5'10 and starting weight was close to 240. I was burning at least 500 exercise calories a day and losing around 2-2.5 lbs a week. I was losing weight, but as the weeks went by, I was very tired, I'd get dizzy, and just felt yucky...but, I wasn't hungry. After getting tired of feeling like this, I upped my calories in. Guess what, I still lose the same amount (that is, when I'm not blowing my diet, as I have for a few weeks.) But the point is, try eating at the amount of cals that MFP says you should, and if you don't lose, then slowly lower the cals. I always try to eat within 100-200 calories of my daily allowance.

I'll bet you can find ways to eat your calories without feeling stuffed, nuts are a good option to add cals but not feel like your stuffing your stomach full. Good luck!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it is normal. you may want to read my expectations thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    I would guess that it's mostly fluid. The majority of us that had 30+ pounds to lose lost a large amount the first week and then it tapered off. I will say that if you aren't eating the recommended amount of calories there will be a ton of us on here tell you that you'll slow your progress in the end. MFP is already putting you at a deficit for what your body needs to maintain and to cut it by another 600 calories is eventually going to put you into starvation mode. I'm sure some of the other members will be able to tell you more about that.
  • kristen5286
    kristen5286 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I would guess that it's mostly fluid. The majority of us that had 30+ pounds to lose lost a large amount the first week and then it tapered off. I will say that if you aren't eating the recommended amount of calories there will be a ton of us on here tell you that you'll slow your progress in the end. MFP is already putting you at a deficit for what your body needs to maintain and to cut it by another 600 calories is eventually going to put you into starvation mode. I'm sure some of the other members will be able to tell you more about that.

I try to find ways to eat more calories.. I'm just full.. I have no will power to starve myself.. That is simply out of the question. lol.. I eat a bunch... I guess the low fat versions just don't have as much calories.
  • kristen5286
    Options
    Yes, you almost always lose a lot of weight in the first week. But if you are supposed to be eating closer to 1800, then you need to start doing it. Your body won't burn efficiently on too few calores. I started out eating only 1200. I'm 5'10 and starting weight was close to 240. I was burning at least 500 exercise calories a day and losing around 2-2.5 lbs a week. I was losing weight, but as the weeks went by, I was very tired, I'd get dizzy, and just felt yucky...but, I wasn't hungry. After getting tired of feeling like this, I upped my calories in. Guess what, I still lose the same amount (that is, when I'm not blowing my diet, as I have for a few weeks.) But the point is, try eating at the amount of cals that MFP says you should, and if you don't lose, then slowly lower the cals. I always try to eat within 100-200 calories of my daily allowance.

I'll bet you can find ways to eat your calories without feeling stuffed, nuts are a good option to add cals but not feel like your stuffing your stomach full. Good luck!

If I eat nuts I end up going way over on my protein.. Is that ok? If so then hell, I'll be happy to eat some nuts to up my caloric intake.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As an FYI the protein amount should be a minimum amount, if you are doing any resistance taining (wieghts), not a maximum. The fat amount is a maximum amount you should get, so it sounds like you are doing a good job.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    its ok to go over on protein, please take it from mee 1200 is not enough. just go to 1300 or even 1400 and you will still see a weight loss. 1 cup of chocolate milk or a handful of nuts or 2 tblsp on PB will put you where you should be. and help you gain more muscle its a win win situation. try it you will love the results.

oh 1 other thing that helps is chocolate covered frozen banana's 160 cals and oh so good you feel like your cheating and your not.
  • kristen5286
    Options
    its ok to go over on protein, please take it from mee 1200 is not enough. just go to 1300 or even 1400 and you will still see a weight loss. 1 cup of chocolate milk or a handful of nuts or 2 tblsp on PB will put you where you should be. and help you gain more muscle its a win win situation. try it you will love the results.

oh 1 other thing that helps is chocolate covered frozen banana's 160 cals and oh so good you feel like your cheating and your not.

Oooo that sounds so so good!! (I'm allergic to bananas thought :( )
  • kristen5286
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! That really helped! Now that I know a can go a little over the protein and have some almonds I'm sure my calorie intake will go up to where it's supposed to be! Thank you so much!
  • kristen5286
    Options

Thank you so much for showing me this! I copied and saved it! It will be my reminder as I hit each new phase that it is all part of the process!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    If you find you can't eat over 1200 calories, eat some full fat/calorie versions of what you eat now. Add some peanut butter in there, or some roasted (unsalted) almonds-just a handful adds a bunch of fat/calories and they're GOOD for you!.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for showing me this! I copied and saved it! It will be my reminder as I hit each new phase that it is all part of the process!

very welcome my dear!
  • kristen5286
    Options
    If you find you can't eat over 1200 calories, eat some full fat/calorie versions of what you eat now. Add some peanut butter in there, or some roasted (unsalted) almonds-just a handful adds a bunch of fat/calories and they're GOOD for you!.

Ah yes!! You're a genius!! I didn't even think of that!! That would help! I look at my food diary trying to figure out where to add more food.. or food higher in calories, but I'd be stuffing my face with any more food! I am going to get a few things that are regular calories! Thank you so much!