In your face....

Options
I have a loving family that is very supportive of my weight loss/ health improvement efforts. Every once in a while someone will turn into "food monitors"...such as "are you counting that snack?" "don't pre- eat" "did you go to the gym today?" etc. I know I'm loved but I have it under control and I know what I'm doing. I've explained that I find it irritating and it has gotten better..anyone else have this issue?

19111718.png

Replies

• bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Just from my 12 year old son. 'Have you logged that Mom?' But that is OK by me, he is only doing it out of love and I wouldnt dream of saying anything. Even if it bugs me. :love:
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    I hear ya...I guess I might be a bit sensitive... just don't need the food police! lol
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If it's a kid, this is a good time to explain why it's inappropriate and unhelpful. (Do you want them to grow up thinking it's ok to monitor other people's food?) If it's an adult, well, I'd be less nice about it.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I find it incredibly rude and intrusive when people talk like that to me and usually ask them quite firmly to stop as I'm a grown up thanks.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    My parents in an effort to help as they know I am trying to lose weight will say things like "Is that okay for you to eat?" or "Can you have that?" and I have to explain I can eat what I want as long as I'm logging and keeping an eye on my day and that asking me those things doesn't help me and I've noticed they have made a conscious effort to not do that.

This weekend we went to Greek Easter and I actually told them in the car to not bring up my weight loss or anything in front of the family. While it may be them being "proud" I find it embarrassing. They respected my wishes.
  • Darlingir
    Options
    Right...I feel like my own common sense is being devalued
  • Aleara2012
    Aleara2012 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    My mom (who is very supportive) keeps doubting I have as many calories left for the day as I say I do before dinner. She thinks only thing I do all day is eat o.O When I tell her I have 800 calories for dinner, she would say - that's impossible! And why not? I am the one counting them, I am the one eating them and I know very well how much I have eaten during the day (I work so she doesn't see me during the day). It drives me crazy, really!
  • Darlingir
    Options
    I never get in peoples food....ever
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend will some times make comments like "should you be eating that?" It bugs me a little and I tell him that I log everything I eat and work out daily. If I couldn't eat it then I wouldn't. I know he only asks me because he is trying to help. Just be strong and tell them your a big girl and can handle it. :)
  • LovelyLifter
    LovelyLifter Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Its odd I get the opposite Its more like " Do you have to always count calories. ....Do you have to log EVERYTHING you eat" Ummmm Yeah douchewazzle I do !
  • carlynn13
    carlynn13 Posts: 281
    Options
    Just from my 12 year old son. 'Have you logged that Mom?' But that is OK by me, he is only doing it out of love and I wouldnt dream of saying anything. Even if it bugs me. :love:

My kids do the same thing :)
  • Shriffee
    Shriffee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue, but I think that would seriously annoy me!!! I would never do that to someone.... Well, when I am grumpy and on a diet I take it out on my husband by criticizing what he eats. It drives him nuts.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My mom was like this for most of my life. I know she does it out of love & concern, but that doesn't give her any more tact. I have had to explain to her that even when I'm doing well and working hard at this thing, her comments just make me feel bad about myself which is usually what begins a downward spiral, so her ill-advised plan is backfiring. She doesn't really do it anymore.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I tried like hell to get my mom to log, but she won't.

My boyfriend recently accodentally starved himself, despite me nagging him the whole time to eat more. So he is always concerned I'm not eating enough. I just have to tell him that I don't even have a full 500 cal deficit. I'm more likely to over eat than under!
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well I would say gee you know what I have managed to lose 9 pounds myself and continue to lose. So let me worry about what goes into my mouth and you can cheer me on as I continue to lose
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My husband, who eats healthy but too much and doesn't exercise regularly, will sometimes do that. I know it's just because he doesn't want to listen to me complain when my pants are too tight the next day, but it's still a little irritating. I usually just give him a look and he'll throw his hands up and say he was just trying to help.

As irritating as it is, it does sometimes make me rethink my decision to eat something.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    be glad theyre not the opposite!
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    Its odd I get the opposite Its more like " Do you have to always count calories. ....Do you have to log EVERYTHING you eat" Ummmm Yeah douchewazzle I do !

This is what I hear from my husband all the time ... yes, I do have to log everything!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    The only person who asks is my husband, and only because I've asked him to, in specific situations. I know there are some foods that are fine for me to eat 1 serving of, but I have a tendency to take more. So I asked him to hold me accountable by asking me if I've planned for that extra helping when he sees me taking more. And I know some people will ask 'Can you eat this?'. I just say, 'I can eat whatever I like, I just have to control how much I eat.' Most people just want to help, and not derail your efforts by not even thinking about the work you're doing to lose weight.
  • VintageFit
    VintageFit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My brother!!! He lifts weights and even though he is still overweight he's getting superstrict lately about what he eats. Every time he sees me with a snack I hear "What's happened to your diet change, huh?" It is so annoying. Meanwhile he loads his plates every time we eat together (he can eat more since he burns a lot more than me but it still looks like he's binging..). I told him to leave me alone many times but.. I guess big brothers will stay big brothers forever!

Other than that, only mum asks me friendly ever so often. I don't mind with her because you can see that she's just trying to be helpful. "Oh are you allowed to eat that today or do you want to cheat a little? ;9" haha.