Beyond Frustrated

Options
Hello! I am 5'8 and I weigh 156 lbs. Up until four years ago my weight was always between 130 and 140. My diet used to consist of an egg sandwich for breakfast, a turkey sandwich for lunch, and for dinner a normal, home cooked meal. For snacks I used to eat a nightly ice cream sundae, junk food throughout the day, a bag of chocolate a day, a medium mcfrappe a day, 2 liters of diet coke and I never, ever drank water.. Yes I know, there is no shock as to why I got up to 156 lbs. Surprisingly I wasnt any bigger. Zero excercise. Anyway, back in August I decided it was time to eat and be healthy. I started by cutting out diet coke cold turkey. I started to drink, strictly water. I would drink 4 liters of water a day. I knew if I continued to drink soda, then I would never be able to drink water, b/c I hated water, so I knew I had to do all or nothing. I cut out my nightly sundae, my daily mcfrappe and my daily bag of chocolate. I continued to eat my bfast, lunch and dinner with a few snacks throughout the day, such as string cheese or a fruit or some tortilla chips. Basically a healthy for me, maybe not by society standards, but for me. Anyway, by January, I gave up b/c I never lost a pound. So then I figured, maybe it was the carbs everyone talked about. So for breakfast I ate eggs plain, turkey roll-ups without the bread and for dinner, we cut out pasta and rice with our dinner and only ate chicken/fish with lots of veggies on the side. I also added in running for 20 minutes. Again, by March after zero weight loss, I thought what else can I do. Sooooo I cut out the majority of sugar and ate every 2-3 hours. In other words I continued to eat fruits and veggies, etc, but didn't eat things like chips. I continued running, I continued water drinking. Here I am about 4 weeks in and still, zero pounds lost. I am really sick of it, fed up, frustrated. I dont know what to do. Ive heard you need to cut your calories, but not too much, then you will go into starvation. So I looked at my BMR it was 1452, so I figured cutting out 250 calories isnt too much, combined with the 150 calories I burn running. Then I thought is this starvation mode. Then I go back to thinking, well how much am I supposed to eat. I was eating a high caloric intake before and stayed the same. Basically Im babbling b/c Im frustrated. I know to some of you 156 pounds is a dream, but please don't think that, b/c I believe weight is a personal thing. Im actually sick of my overweight friends telling me I am fine. Its all relative. 130-135 lbs is where I am comfortable. At this point 149 would be satisfactory since I have been trying so long to lose weight with zero success. I have cut out so much of my favorite things. I know some may say I am healthier, but to be honest, that doesnt satisfy me enough and no I dont feel better from eating "healthier" and limiting all my "junk". Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Oh yes, one more thing, over the summer I went to see if anything was wrong with me, thryroid, hormone wise, nothing is.

Replies

• amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    OK - BREATHE!!!! :-)
    Seriously - I understand your frustration, but it almost sounds like you are over-thinking things- and good for you for making some really healthy changes (soda to water, etc).

A few questions to help sort through this:

1) Are you journaling EVERYTHING?

2) Of you daily food intake, what percentage would you guess is processed (in a box, can, or came from a processing plant)?

3) Are you eating enough? I know you included info about your BMR but it makes me wonder as desperate as you sound to see results if it is part of your problem (and I say desperate but I've BEEN THERE).

With this info - I think it might give insight into what's going on for you. Start with REALLY JOURNALING in MFP. Also - I would recommend setting your intake goals as losing NO MORE than a pound a week.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    bumping to hopefully respond later.

....believe me, i hear/feel your frustration! you are not alone.
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    Did you take measurements! Maybe you are losing inches?!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the MINIMUM that you should be eating a day. Try upping your calories to your BMR.
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    Journal Journal Journal!!!! I lie to myself all the time. It's only when I actually write it down and be honest with myself that I see the changes. (also weighing yourself the same day/time each week, your weight can vary through out the day/week. I weight myself every friday morning, without clothes after going to the washroom).
    It's calories in, calories out. 3500 cals = 1lb.
    Don't be frustrated!!! It took me a long time to start losing weight. I went gungho, right off the bat. It took me over a month to loose more than 1lb.
    Open up your diary. Use it religously. 30mins exercise per day and you'll do it!!! I promise :-)
  • tohey22
    tohey22 Posts: 6
    Options
    understand your frustration!! I have been eating healthy..cut out sodas, candy,chips... exercising..yet my weight has stayed the same..i actually gained a pound today...Makes me want to just give up and eat everything i see but I know thats not the answer. just keep on going!!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any advice, but you're not alone. I'm going through the same thing.
  • deborahmills22
    deborahmills22 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I hear you and understand. I have the same problem. I'm probably older than you, but if I don't exercise 1 hour a day (weights and cardio) at least 5 days a week, I won't lose anything no matter how I change my diet. I spent months logging all my food, eating at the proper calorie level (which was recommended by my nutritionist and doctor after extensive testing), and exercising 30 minutes a day. I didn't lose and I didn't gain. So, I guess what I'm saying is that maybe you've done what you can diet wise then bumping up the exercise might give you a boost. In any case, I think if you stick with it and keep trying different approaches until you find something that works for you, you'll eventually hit on the right combination of diet and exercise that will give you the results you want.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    OK - BREATHE!!!! :-)
    Seriously - I understand your frustration, but it almost sounds like you are over-thinking things- and good for you for making some really healthy changes (soda to water, etc).

A few questions to help sort through this:

1) Are you journaling EVERYTHING?

2) Of you daily food intake, what percentage would you guess is processed (in a box, can, or came from a processing plant)?

3) Are you eating enough? I know you included info about your BMR but it makes me wonder as desperate as you sound to see results if it is part of your problem (and I say desperate but I've BEEN THERE).

With this info - I think it might give insight into what's going on for you. Start with REALLY JOURNALING in MFP. Also - I would recommend setting your intake goals as losing NO MORE than a pound a week.

Great advice: this is the place to start, I think.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Yep, log everything you eat. You will be surprised. If you are eating a lot of fruit, there's a bunch of sugar calories. Your body doesn't know the difference between candy/pop sugar and fruit sugar; it uses them the same way. Logging your food takes a little practice, but once you get used to it, in about a week, it's not a problem. You can do it quickly once you learn what the database wants to "hear" when searching for foods.

I don't think you are expecting an unreasonable weight. I am also 5'8" and before my back injury, maintained 133 pounds for decades. A perfect weight for me. Now I'm going for 155 which is inside the BMI "Normal" range.

Good luck; I know how frustrating it can be trying to lose weight and not going anywhere for a long time. Use MFP as it's designed and you will succeed.
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    Are your clothes fitting differently?

Also, are you doing any other exercise than running? Maybe adding in another type of exercise - pilates, kick boxing, weights etc would help jump start.

I also agree with the above posters about journalling your foods - all of them. I have realized I was "missing" some of the things that went into my mouth daily (iced coffee being one of them!) and my calories werent being added up correctly - this impacted me and made me realize that I was consuming more than I thought.

Also, be sure to eat back your calories you burn exercising - that is important for muscle regeneration and weight loss.

Good luck to you!! Keep at it - sometimes, it can take a while to kick in, but watch your body - measurements, clothes fitting, that kind of thing. I once didnt lose a single pound for a month, but lost 11 inches during that time!! I had switched from cardio to strength training, and the differences were noticeable!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Without your diary being open, it's hard to tell what the problem could be. I would suggest opening your diary. Some general advice would be -

To log everything you eat right down to the last tic tac

Invest in a food scale so you know the portions you're logging are accurate

Invent in a HRM so you get an accurate calorie burn reading

Get a physical to make sure nothing medical is going on

Best wishes and good luck!
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    :wink: I'm right there with you. I haven't exercised as much as I should, but I have MS so that's part of my issue. I have not seen the scale move since the end of January....but it hasn't gone UP either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Take the advice offered and see if it helps... let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Vanity pounds are the hardest to lose.

I agree with others... make sure you are logging everything. Try adding in some strength training. You need to confuse your body and work all your muscles. I do 1 long run, two 3-4 mile runs and interval/strength training.

Exactly how many calories are you eating? You have a BMR of 1452. I will assume you have a sedatary job so 1452 x 1.2 you are buring about 1742 calories a day before exercise. I would try not causing a deficit of more than 250-300 per day. So you need to eat 1440 - 1490 a day PLUS eat back your calories from exercise.

When running try to do some Fatleks. Slow jog a minute and run 30 seconds and repeat. Do maybe 10-15 minutes of this. You will burn more calories this way and cause confusion in your body. You do not want your body to get use to one thing.

Also, measurements are key. Take body measurements and see how your clothes fit. The scale is not a very accurate measurement most of the time.

Most importantly.... do not obsess. Obsession can be our worst enemy. I did not lose my last 10 until I accepted it may not happen and quit worrying. Ironic I know. GL.
  • aponce07
    aponce07 Posts: 1
    Options
    I here you because I was playing with the same 2lbs every week. Finally 2 weeks ago I saw a board here about the "17 Day Diet, by Dr. Moreno" which I think many members here have done and/or are doing and have had great results. From what I read, you are practically eating the way they say to do on Cycle 1, so it shouldn't hurt for you to try it out. Maybe this would give you the push you need. I lost 3 lbs the first week, Google it and I suggest you give it a try. Hopefully, this helps you and gets that scale to move for you.
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options
    Did you take measurements! Maybe you are losing inches?!

I was going to ask the same question. Have you measured anything OTHER than weight? Also, in the beginning of my weight loss journey I fluctuated pretty radically - lost 2 pounds, then gained 8 even though I was restricting calories. It all evened out and my overall trend was down though after a few months (seriously my weight progress looked like the stock market!) It really depends on when you weight yourself. I like to weight myself once a week on the same day at the same time (morning, no clothes, before eating breakfast).

If you are being really honest about what you are logging, and you are creating a deficit of calories, then it will work. In the beginning when it looked like it WASN'T working, I seriously chanted the mantra in my head "This is working. This works. If I keep at it, it will work. I will lose weight"! Because the reason it ends up not working, is if you get frustrated and quit!

Keep at it and you can DO it! It will work if you are being honest with your calorie intake. Good luck!
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You may need to do more exercise to boost your metabolism. Do you use a heart rate monitor to estimate calorie burn? I agree with others that logging your food intake meticulously is necessary to get a handle on what is going. But in my case I feel like the exercise I started doing is what really made a difference. I feel like I am now able to eat more than before and still lose weight, which makes me think that I changed my metabolism.

I am 5'5", started on MFP in March 2011 and went from 164 lb to 135 lb in about 8 months. I am now 131 lb and in the best shape of my life. I put a lot of effort into eating healthy and exercising, but I am also human, have a busy schedule, and try to be realistic.

When losing the most weight, I ate an average of 1680 calories per day and had average net of 1425 calories per day. I rarely ate less than 1300 calories per day (too hungry!). Average calories burned through exercise during that time was 255 per day, but my workout sessions were pretty intense and tended to burn 450-650 calories (I just didn't do that every single day).

I practise calorie "zig-zagging", not so much by design but rather because of normal life. Some days I end up eating more, other days less, some days I have time to exercise, other days I do not. I focus more on weekly totals rather than daily. I have not experienced any weight-loss plateaus. My results are directly related to the effort that I've put into my weight-loss.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like more specific and on-going suggestions.
  • melk927
    melk927 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I'm sorry it was so long winded, I tend to do that when I'm desperate!!! Thank ou for all your helpful tips and encouragement. I'm definitely not losing inches, my pants are getting tighter and tighter. I feel like I'm doing all these different things and I uses it's overwhelming for me. I told my husband the other night that I couldn't believe I am a statistic! Weight used to never be an issue and now it consumes me. The more I think about it the bigger I get. I'm going to keep sticking with it and I'm going to try not to complain and focus about it so much. One person told me to check into the marks daily diet, another the 17 day, then I saw a jillian michaels link, just feel completely overwhelmed. Eat more, eat less. No sugar, sugar doesn't matter it's the calories. Exercise often, skip some days. Eat every two hours, only eat when your hungry. I'm half assing everything b/c m so desperate. I know that is definitely not helping. Yes I am charting every little thing I eat, so I think that counts as the journal yes?
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    Try making your journal public so we might be able to help you better.

Are you using measuring cups? Sometimes calories sneak in when you guess, like when adding cream to coffee in the morning. Do you have a food scale? It's a good way to double check the meat you eat at dinner.

Next time you weigh in, make sure it's NOT on a day after a high-sodium meal, during "that time of the month", or when you're sore from working out. I don't even bother getting on the scale when I feel bloated. There are a lot of variables that come into play! Just keep working hard. Don't give up. You'll eventually see results.
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options
    I practise calorie "zig-zagging", not so much by design but rather because of normal life. Some days I end up eating more, other days less, some days I have time to exercise, other days I do not. I focus more on weekly totals rather than daily. I have not experienced any weight-loss plateaus.

I have read a bit about this (calorie ziz-zagging) and was going to give it a try. My first week at it was little out of control because it was my birthday weekend which involved 3 birthday dinners / too much alcohol. BUT, in just the first week I noticed there is alot less pressure when you are aiming for an overall weekly goal instead of every day trying to get under a specific number. I am going to keep trying this technique. Looks like a good one! I recommend others look into it also.