Exercise with a toddler

Options
How can I exercise with a toddler? My dh works too long of hours for me to wait for him to be home so I can exercise?

Replies

• soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Put him on his favorite tv show/movie. that's what I do. :)
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I usually do it when mine is napping or I put her in her pack and play with lots of toys, books and an educational video playing on my laptop nearby. It's the only way I can get a decent workout in. I also walk her to the park and nearby shops daily. I tried working out without her being distracted in her pack and play and she sat on my stomach while I did crunches....
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Walks are great, either a slower walk with them, or in a stroller and a faster walk. Nap time is a great time to workout, and I sometimes do yoga with my toddler in the room (she likes to try the poses), and my baby in her jumper.
  • amzasmommy
    amzasmommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Naptime, before they get up, after they go to bed. We'll go to the park when it's nice too and I play with them. An hour of chasing little ones at the park IS exercise!
  • sarahdee2007
    Options
    I push my 3 year old in the stroller while I walk/jog, pull him behind my bicycle in his trailer, he sits on my feet for sit ups, and on my back for push ups (I cant do a real one yet, but he thinks it's funny anyways). Don't forget the classics like Tag or soccer! And my son loves to do jumping with me. I taped boxes all over the basement floor (my gym area) and we count how many boxes we can jump in.
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It's best for my 3 yo to be distracted when I workout. I try to put on a show or a video that'll keep his interest and I make sure he has snacks. Otherwise, he's crawling in between my legs as I do jumping jacks, putting weights under my back before I come down while doing sit-ups or he's telling me I'm doing the (modified) exercises wrong O_o!!!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    How old is your toddler? With my 3.5 years old daughter, I can work out along side with her. She will try to follow the exercises and not be in the way, whereas my 2 years old will go under my legs or jump/sit on me when I am doing push ups/planks/anything on the floor. He needs to be distracted, so a movie that keeps him attention works. But mostly I have DH watch them or wait until after bed time.