DO YOU CLASS THIS AS EXERCISE?

Options
Well, I walk throughout the day and tbh, I just add all the amount of walking up i've done a day (say i walked today about 3 hours in total) and then i put that in my exercise notes..?

Is that okay because sometimes I don't walk for 2 hours at once, i do through out the day..is it right?
Does anyone get what i'm on about :ohwell:

:indifferent:

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't count normal daily walking as exercise because I've always done that and it didn't help me to stay slim.
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    I would include that in your BMR where it asks for your activity level.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    are you doing short walks for exercise, or walking that is part of your daily activity? Do not count it as exercise if it is part of your daily activity.
  • Minnie92x
    Minnie92x Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm lazy and drive everywhere.. so when I make the effort to walk to work, or go on a really big walk on the beach or around the lake then i'll log that! I don't log day to day walking..
  • amyy010
    amyy010 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ah okay thanks, as i have done walking today just for excersise so its just for future reference :) thanks
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Do you mean walking to the kitchen, walking up stairs, walking to the store from the car, walking through the store. Like that? No I don't count it.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    personally I only count walking when it's at least an hour straight like window shopping for instance. Other than that I wouldn't count it because we all have to walk from the sofa to the kitchen at some point :wink:
  • thebunnies
    thebunnies Posts: 168
    Options
    I don't see the point of tracking regular daily activities as exercise. If you go out at lunch and walk, intentionally for exercise*.. then track it. If you're walking from the train station to work every day.. don't. My motto!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I set my daily activity level to sedentary and then track my walking and workouts as exercise. (I walk my son to and from school every day which takes about 40 minutes total). You could also set your activity to "lightly active" and not track the walking part. Then just track when you do an actual "work out." I think the numbers work out pretty evenly in the end, it's just personal preference as to how you track it. I personally like being able to track my walking as exercise which is why I list my activity level as sedentary so I can do so...
  • megansmith7487
    Options
    What do you have your daily activity level set as? Sedentary, light, moderate, etc? If you have it set as sedentary, then I would say log it. But if you have it set as anything else, then MFP calculates that into your calorie goal/ deficit already.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Moving = energy expenditure = calorie burn

Log it.

Have you thought about a pedometer (or a fit bit? That syncs your steps/calorie burn directly into MFP)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Anything I do normally, I don't log... I just consider it my activity level. Which I actually should probably increase, now that I think about it.... I really only log if I am purposely exercising or mowing the yard (don't do this a lot, but man it burns dem cals).