Infra Red Sauna-thoughts, experiences?

Options
I'm wondering what everyones thoughts are with infra red saunas? I have one in my home and I really like the effect it has on my muscles, the heat relaxes me and takes away aches and pains. But what about the calorie claims the manufacture makes? Does it actually burn calories? If it does should I be counting them in my MFP?

I know you loose water weight on acount of all the sweating you do! So you will gain that back, but any lasting effects?

Anyone else out there have one? How often do you use it?

Replies

• Melindaleigh12
    Options
    It's been 8 months, does anyone have any thoughts/experiences now?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Can you tell us your experience with it after 8 months?

I have a regular sauna in my home, it is water weight that I sweat out, not fat, I sweat that out on the treadmill.

L
  • Melindaleigh12
    Options
    I haven't been using it consistently enough to say if it got rid of any weight that's didn't come back, but it does still warm me up and make me sweat! I can't take the wet heat of the regular saunas, it makes me black out, so this is a good alternative for me. My waxing lady has one and when she first got it she dropped an incredible amounts of weight in 6 months no excersize, but she has since put it back on.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering what everyones thoughts are with infra red saunas? I have one in my home and I really like the effect it has on my muscles, the heat relaxes me and takes away aches and pains. But what about the calorie claims the manufacture makes? Does it actually burn calories? If it does should I be counting them in my MFP?

I know you loose water weight on acount of all the sweating you do! So you will gain that back, but any lasting effects?

Anyone else out there have one? How often do you use it?

I have yet to see any trials that substantiate some of the outlandish claims made by infrared sauna manufacturers, you sweat, you feel great but you're not burning truckloads of calories just sitting there (if you could I'd be the first to buy one!)
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've had one for six years now and love it. But...

While it's terrific for relaxing, especially after workouts, no sauna on God's green Earth, infrared or otherwise, is a tool for weight loss. You sweat out water, which you (hopefully!!) drink back immediately afterwards.