yummy and nutritious protein/meal replacement shake?

Options
I want to try shakes (mainly for a filling, low-cal breakfast) but don't want to spend a ton of moo-lah trying to find a good tasting one. What do you all like? Something I can find in a retail store, if possible :)

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I really like the WalMart Brand "Body Fortress" I started with Chocolate, and added Strawberry and vanilla once I found I liked the taskes and consistency. Not grainy at all. I add different things depending on my mood each day, but almost always use almond or coconut milk which have less carbs (unsweetened versions) its only about 14.95 for one large container.
  • 4stephklug
    4stephklug Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thank you- I will check it out!
  • union410
    union410 Posts: 32
    Options
    I get the big bag from Costco. I think it's Cyto something. I mix it with Kashi cereal, a banana and one cup of nonfat milk. 380 calories, 55g carbs, 4g Fat and 37g of protein. I eat it at 6:30am and am not hungry again until around 9am. And I'm 220lbs.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I really like the WalMart Brand "Body Fortress" I started with Chocolate, and added Strawberry and vanilla once I found I liked the taskes and consistency. Not grainy at all. I add different things depending on my mood each day, but almost always use almond or coconut milk which have less carbs (unsweetened versions) its only about 14.95 for one large container.

I thought the topic stated "yummy"? *GAG* Body Fortress is not yummy at all. 31.gif

Yummy and Cheap do not really go together with protein powders. Although you can get a 5 lb bag at sams club for 30$ Muscletechs. Thats the cheapest yummy protein I have found that lasts a long time.
  • PJChick730
    Options
    I just bought Jillian Michaels vanilla whey protein powder--just $10 at Walmart. Yesterday I tried it with a cup of fat free milk but today I added a little Hershey's lite syrup for some flavor and that definitely helped.
  • maggiepz
    maggiepz Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for high protein, low carb I love Syntrax Nectar. It comes in the usual flavors also but I like the fruit flavors better. My favorite is Fuzzy Navel (peach). The protein Isolates cost a bit more but they mix so much easier and I prefer the texture. Upfront it's a little pricey but it comes in a huge tub that last a long time. The Caribbean Cooler tastes very Pina Colada.
  • 4stephklug
    Options
    thanks guys, I really like chocolate. The Cytosport from Costco has gotten really good reviews and only costs $30, so I think I will try that first. thanks for your help!
  • 4stephklug
    Options
    Did a little research and came across Idealshape. Is anyone familiar with this one?
  • shosko10
    shosko10 Posts: 5
    Options
    I need easy so I get a case of premade ready to go EAS advantage at Sams which you can buy in powder too if you want. Not bad tasting at all, not bad price.
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey! vitacost.com has a great one. Cheap and good protein. My favorite is Cherries Jubilee, but the chocolate is very good, too. Spira-tein is the brand.
  • Heidi_M78
    Heidi_M78 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife shakes
  • Kiris2
    Kiris2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    And, vitacost.com has Walker Diet Shake mix which tastes great, but a bit higher in fat than I like, although it is low sugar.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    You can make your own that are so much cheaper in the long run.
    I shop the sales and a little over a month ago, Walgreens had the giant containers of whey powder buy one, get one half off. So that was $30 for 2 giant containers of protein powder.
    I take 1/4 c. of the whey powder, 1/4 c. of dried milk and 1 or 2 T of dark chocolate cocoa powder, and 2 c. water. You have a really delicious chocolatey protein shake. I drink them for breakfast. Altogether, it's only about 170 calories, nearly 25 grams of protein, around 5 grams of fiber and only like 15 carbs (only like 10 net carbs because there is so much fiber.)
    And when you're talking price, you're paying less than a dollar per shake... probably less than 50-75 cents a shake. Most premade protein shakes are at least $2 a serving.
  • jimmaysc
    jimmaysc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should try the EAS Carb Advantage Chocolate Fudge. It has 17 grams of Protein and 110 Calories. The strawberry are also very good. I get them at Sam's Club in a 24 pack for $27. They also have them at Wal-Mart in 4 packs.
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Okay, not a total meal replacement due to lack of vitamins/minerals but I absolutely love gnc 100% egg protein chocolate shake. It is the best tasting protein shake I have ever tried. Feels like I'm cheating :) a little high on the sodium, but I'm allowed it. But I highly recommend it for additional protein and you will not be dissapointed in the taste :)
  • mrsmerrithew
    mrsmerrithew Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I need easy so I get a case of premade ready to go EAS advantage at Sams which you can buy in powder too if you want. Not bad tasting at all, not bad price.

I was just going to recommend EAS Advantage. I LOVE the vanilla, and the strawberry cream one is good too. These are pre-made. The 4 pack is like $5 at Walmart. For one it's only like 100 calories and 17g of protein.

Lately after the gym I've been blending it it a cup of frozen spinach, a banana, and a cup of strawberries for extra calories and nutrients. As gross as that might sound, you really can't taste the spinach, and it usually fills me up for a while.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Herbalife here too.:drinker:
  • e1ande2
    e1ande2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can make your own that are so much cheaper in the long run.
    I shop the sales and a little over a month ago, Walgreens had the giant containers of whey powder buy one, get one half off. So that was $30 for 2 giant containers of protein powder.
    I take 1/4 c. of the whey powder, 1/4 c. of dried milk and 1 or 2 T of dark chocolate cocoa powder, and 2 c. water. You have a really delicious chocolatey protein shake. I drink them for breakfast. Altogether, it's only about 170 calories, nearly 25 grams of protein, around 5 grams of fiber and only like 15 carbs (only like 10 net carbs because there is so much fiber.)
    And when you're talking price, you're paying less than a dollar per shake... probably less than 50-75 cents a shake. Most premade protein shakes are at least $2 a serving.

Making your own means you know what is in it and no preservatives or chemicals.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    dymatize (i think thats how its spelled) is pretty good.
  • Time2Thrive
    Time2Thrive Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Body by Vi is a great shake that "tastes like cake mix". The best part is I have not paid for mine since the first month through their referral program. Highly recommend them. Tried many others and never been happy with them. So happy I finally came across these.